Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: BL 5B battery problem-expanded

BL-5B battery problem-expanded

I have noticed that my 3230 battery BL-5B has expanded, its surface is not flat,instead it has became OVAL in shape from last one month.
DOES ANYBODY noticed such issue with BL-5B battery.
its battery life is also reduced drastically,although my usage is very less then also I have to recharge it everyday. previously when phone was new, it used to remained powered for at least 2 days(although that was also not good enough as compared with other phones).
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: BL-5B battery problem-expanded

I would replace that battery immediately and stop using it if possible.

If it's less than 6 months old (still under warranty)take it to a nokia care point with proof of purchase and they will replace it.

If it's older than 6 months you may have to pay. But they may make an exception because of whats happened to it.
Please use plain text.

I visited nokia Care, but those people have no reason why battery have expanded. just for avoiding they tell, u might have overcharged it. but that is not d case because i dont charge it for more then 2 hours. Anyways nokia phones provide facility that charging will stop automatically once battery is fully charged, so if they claim d reason is overcharging, that means either their circuit doesn't works correctly or their Battery is FAULTY.

Might be d same case what happened with BL 5C. Probably Nokia is waiting for some more cases to happen/might have happened but not Reported, before they take some action on it.

Other thing I don't understand, Why these people keeps battery price and charger PRICE SO HIGH. This is almost equal to their lowest segment phone model price(along with phone, battery and charger comes, does it mean they are charging for battery and charger only and phone equipment is free) this is really disgusting. Mobile companies must reduce battery prices. They are making too much margins out of it.
Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

[ Edited ]
Please note that this is not the same issue as the product advisory on the BL-5C.

I suggest that you contact Nokia in your own country with regard to your BL-5B, as this seems to be highly unusual behaviour. Please also advise them which Nokia care point told you that you must have mistreated the battery.

Message Edited by michaels on 12-Sep-2007 12:32 PM

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I have a similar battery problem that I have only noticed today on my BL-5B battery in my sim-free N80-1 RM-92 that came direct from Nokia.

It is swollen and distorted (towards oval too)in shape - so much so that it will not close in its case properly !

I was curious whether anyone else with a N80 had seen this problem?

I'm going to try to get to a nokia support store but getting the time to do that is tought at the mo :-(
Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]
To update:

Went to the authorised Cork based Nokia Care Poin

They checked the battery and yes as I knew - its working fine its just "grown" in size.

They were so sure and narky that I must have gotten it wet, or dropped it (the phone/battery)- neither of which scenarios have ever happened :-)

They reiterated this 3 times, said its over 6 months old and so out of warranty.

The phone will not close properly, I'm converneed the battery will eventually split or burst but they would not and could not do anything for me :-)

So tough you'll have to spend 49 euro on a new battery.

(when they cost 49 pence - 3.49 pounds in the UK)

what is going on here !

customer service my foot!

Message Edited by kenken on 05-Nov-2008 02:36 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

It may be worth trying another care point.

Batteries are only covered for 6 months by most phone manufacturers warranties.
Please use plain text.

Also to me from some month battery BL-5B of mine has swollen nokia N80! We hope that the nokia make something in order to withdraw and to change in guarantee these difettate batteries.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

22-Jul-2008 06:06 PM
dropvid wrote:
Also to me from some month battery BL-5B of mine has swollen nokia N80! We hope that the nokia make something in order to withdraw and to change in guarantee these difettate batteries.

Has this been resolved for you? have you tried any other Nokia Care Points?
Repair and Logistics Expert!
Please use plain text.
Contributor

OK, I had this problem with my Nokia N80, too.

I will return it to nearest Nokia Care Point, even if my phone is 22 months old, and that is because I think this has been a defect for a very long time. The short battery time came almost immediately, and I didn't realize that it could be as long as it is with my new battery, because of all reviews complaining about short battery time... :smileywink:

regards
/Mattias
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

[ Edited ]
I've also got this problem with my N80. The battery is almost too big to shut the battery cover now. Also the battery life is terrible. It's always been poor, but if I don't charge it up every night it dies before I get home on the second day.

It's out of warranty but I'm going to take it to Nokia repair centre to see what they say anyway.

I've been there at least 5 times in warranty with this phone!

Message Edited by then_fox on 06-Dec-2008 01:52 PM
Please use plain text.

I have resolved with the substitution of the battery of nokia N80 with a new, having paid I.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I got myself a new battery, and after one month's use it has not begun to expand as far as I can tell.

The store I bought the battery in, said that there was not much hope to get any money back, because the old battery was more than 6 months old, but I will keep an eye on my new battery for the next 5 months.

Battery time is also up for at least three days intensive use of the phone before it needs re-charging. Much better than before when it needed charging almost every night.
Please use plain text.
Sage
darren2190

I think it got to do with heat.

One time i left my phone in the car, after half a day.

I went back to my car and found that the battery is flat and expand in size.

Shocked, btw i fully charged the battery.
Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the "Kudos!" star. Thank you!!!!
Please use plain text.
Sage
ken80ny

Hi all,

I have the same problem on my nokia N80 (NL-5B) battery. I have experienced battery stand by time signaficantly reduced to one day only. The the problem worsen to incorrect indication of battery power level as the full bar of battery level will drop to only one and beeps for recharging. 

Now, the battery is never fully charged even though i have left it for charging many hours!

Once i open my back cover, i was shocked to see the swollen battery. Will it explode?!

So far I have seen feedback that to bring it to Nokia Care center, but what is the outcome? pay for a replacement or receive a replacement for free? This is surely another flaw of Nokia design error since the "white screen" problem.

My device is  2.5 years old, first original battery.

was: 3310--> N80 v5.0719.0.2--> N82 v31.0.016; now: 5800xm v40
KeN82Ny
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Since your battery is more than 6 months, there is no hope to receive a free replacement.

I have had my new battery for 3 months now. It's still perfectly plain.

/xJom

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

hi

my bl 5c battery has expanded and broken the cover of my phone

ive ordered a new phone and it will come in a couple of days

just wanted to know the probability of the battery exploding.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I would refrain from using the phone with the battery in this state. You never know when it will go pop.

However saying that, I have only ever heard of the battery exploding during charging. So if you had no choice but to use the phone for the time being, make sure you do not using it when charging. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
sockatume

For God's sake, don't use that battery. If it's swelling it's evolving gas which means it's chemically degrading. When (not if) it eventually breaks, the lithium metal in the battery will oxidise agressively in air in a manner technically referred to as "holy **bleep**, my leg is on fire". Even if the Care Point won't honour their warranty, the store that sold it to you has an obligation to replace it under the Sale of Goods Act.

Please complain to Nokia Care, the Care Point should know better than to send you home with a battery in that state. It is a severe fire hazard.

Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I had EXACTLY the same problem as everyone here.  I contacted my local unfriendly Nokia repeair centre only to be told it is not covered under warranty, 6 month blah blah...(I think Nokia service is allergic to the word warranty).  Anyway this does not apply to Australia as we have separate consumer laws that ANY company trading in Australia have to abide by. However arguing this point with Nokia is time consuming and non productive, so I did the next best thing. I got an iPhone.

Bye bye Nokia with their useless buggy devices and worthless warranty to what is clearly a MANUFACTURING DEFECT (repeat slowly).

Please use plain text.