Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Booklet 3G: 3D graphics

Counsellor
Nazalur
Accepted Solution

Booklet 3G: 3D graphics

Does anyone have an information about Booklet's 3D graphics capabilities?

I assume, they're poor enough - it's a mini-laptop, not a desktop monster. But I was just thinking, that it would be nice to play some simple 3D games, while you're in train.

I've tried to run several games, just to see what it's look like.

"Diamond Mine" is working perfectly, except for hardware accelerated graphics mode and high resolution mode glitches and elements broken rendering.

Descent "D2XL" mod just terminates with an unhandled exception error, "Quake 3 Arena" terminates with "OpenGL not found" message.

DirectX diag is showing, that Direct 3D and DirectDraw accelerations are enabled... but I don't see any buttons to test them, like an appropriate ones I usually use in my desktop's PC's DirectX diag to test my DirectX drivers.

GMA 500 Adapter properties show it has ~256 Mb of shared video memory also, which theoretically should be enough even for "Half-Life 2".

I can't really state it for sure: if it is because of Windows Starter Edition limitations, or I shouldn't expect for a miracle and Booklet's graphics chip has no 3D capabilities at all?

Please use plain text.
Sage
myroslav

Nokia Booklet 3G has Intel System Controller Hub US15W that is essentially PowerVR SGX535 (Intel GMA500) + VXD370:

PowerVR SGX535 is responsible for 3D rendering (OpenGL 2.0, Direct X 9.0c, Shader Model 3.0, 256Mb DVMT).

PowerVR VDX370 is responsible for video decoding (Full hardware acceleration of MPEG-2, VC-1, and AVC).

256Mb of DVMT does mean that driver can request up to 256Mb or RAM from Windows for textures etc. from total 1GB of RAM available.

Intel is occasionally releasing new versions of US15W driver (see /discussions/board/message?board.id=minilaptops&thread.id=262 thread). This driver is being developed by 3rd party (Tungsten Graphics). It defines the Poulsbo chipset features support level. Newer driver - more features, and more speed. Stay updated! :smileywink:

Sources

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR#Series5_.28SGX.29
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_500
Nokia Booklet 3G upgraded with Intel x18-m SSD and Fedora 13 (Linux) as main OS
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Nazalur

Thanks much for explanations, Myroslav!!

I'll do some experiments with an embedded graphics.

As I see, the problems I am experiencing - are obviously drivers/OS issues.

I've installed the latest drivers from Intel official web-site... but as I see, I need something more.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Nazalur

Well, my investigations showed, that I still don't see any other option to get any of my 3D games working, than upgrade from the stock Windows 7 Starter.

I've just tried "Half-Life 2" with different settings - it shows video intro and hangs up when it tries to render any 3D graphics.

I have the latest GMA 500 drivers installed.

In the specs for Windows 7 Starter it is said, that Starter Edition has NO limitations in 3D graphics. But my favorite games I want to spend some traveling time with Booklet still have no way to work...

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Nazalur

Finally got 3D graphics working.

I'm now able to play at least Quake 3 Arena so far! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Did u install any driver to get 3d game working ??

Please let us know ...

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Nazalur

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately, there were not as much fun, as I was wishing...

In theory, our Booklet's hardware is capable of doing amazing things out here, but practically the drivers are simply a piece of mess.

Latest official Intel GMA500 driver supports DXVA (Direct X Video Acceleration), which uses video chip power to decode HD content (including flash) flawlessly. But it has no OpenGL support. But according to specs, it should handle OpenGL 2! So, it means a big "NO" to 3D games.

Then I've tried a custom-made Win7 GMA500 driver. You do an "Update Driver" on "GMA500" Device Manager video adapter, choose custom location, point to an appropriate INF file from a dir with decompressed driver files, install and restart. Of course, it's a buggy, developers kind of stuff, no tray icon, no settings. It has an OpenGL support and we have now "Quake 3 Arena" working... but DXVA in my HD movies stopped working. You can install and use some codecs, even try to mess yourself up with ffdshow (which is now with a DXVA support), but Microsoft video decoders will stop working. "Power Saver" laptop mode will disappear also.

So, you choose now: OpenGL or DXVA :smileyhappy:

That's a kind of nasty things to have, but unfortunately it actually happens.

I'm trying several games: "D2XL" Descent mod still crashes, "Half-Life 2" halts with error when starting, "Bejeweled" still refuses to go with hardware acceleration and high resolution in FullScreen.

I have "Descent" original DOS version working (I was actually very surprised with a DOS game working under Windows 7 without a compatibility mode), "Quake 3 Arena".

I'm going to try the old "Carmageddon: Drive to Survive" win OpenGL acceleration and some other older 3D games I have a licensed CDs in my collection, that would be a pleasure to play, while I'm traveling.

I'll also try to run 3D Mark to see, what will happen... :smileyhappy:

Grets, Alexey. 

Message Edited by Nazalur on 02-Feb-2010 11:41 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks Nazalur 

I could play my old games NFS 5 & FIFA 2002  :smileyhappy:  without any issues. Maybe i should install 1 more OS just to play games . 

Issues noticed with the driver  :

No aero effect

No video acceleration

Windows index calculation fails  

Please use plain text.
Sage
myroslav

Thanks for sharing these details!

I'd recommend setting up several hardware profiles in Windows and booting (with different GMA500 drivers installed in them).

Switching drivers then will be question of rebooting Booklet into desired hardware profile.

However having Intel incorporate 3D functionality of niuki driver (without bugs making system crash) would be better solution anyway :smileywink:

Nokia Booklet 3G upgraded with Intel x18-m SSD and Fedora 13 (Linux) as main OS
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Mr_ATC

Latest GMA 500 drivers are

5.0.0.2023Date:2/24/2010

You can get them from intel download center

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18470&ProdId=3180&lang=eng

i've got improvement in Windows Rating in part Gaming graphics(3D bussines and gaming graphices performance) from 2.3 up to 2.7

The other ratings are the same as previous version 5.0.0.20

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

command and conquer games work quite well. if you turn off the hard drive parking every couple minutes there is no lag in Tiberium Sun Firestorm....

Please use plain text.
leho

..And where and how can I turn of the hard drive parking?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Nazalur

cplush: man, how you do it??

I have C&C: Red Alert 1 not working on Intel's drivers: it says, that it can't change the resolution...

I'm able to play it only on custom US15 drivers.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

i have no clue how i do it but it works without fail everytime. i didnt change a single graphics setting..just installed clone drive...make an ISO of the disc and it all worked. play it every day. legendary game. I have the decade special edition and all the games were redone for XP so that might be why it works....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

its under power management somewhere.....ill find out and repost

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Nazalur

cplush, what Windows edition do you have?

I'm still on Windows Starter Edition, but I have already purchased two boxes of updates (from Starter to HomePrem and from HomePrem to Pro) and soon I will have Professional Edition. It is only a matter of time - I need two more months for my boxes with upgrades to arrive.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Nazalur

I have "3D Mark Vantage" not working - it says, that I have "insufficient graphics".

I am much more than sure - it is all (including incompatibility with games) because of hell damn video drivers! Booklets 3D hardware is powerful enough for the netbook and it should handle at least basic modern 3D tasks.

One thing, that I am not sure about Booklet - is its passive cooling architecture. My booklet becomes hot enough when doing a bit of file operations, mostly because of HDD inside becomes very-very hot...

Cooling can be a trouble if we could reach its 3D chip full potential. Just for a note.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

After installing the newest Intel Driver for GMA 500, the WEI didn't show any change (still 2.3).

But today, there was an "Nokia Specific Update to Windows 7" (through Booklet Software Updater). After installing this, the Index for Graphics went up from 2.3 to 2.5. Not a big thing but at least ...

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Mr_ATC

clichtenberg wrote:

But today, there was an "Nokia Specific Update to Windows 7" (through Booklet Software Updater). After installing this, the Index for Graphics went up from 2.3 to 2.5. Not a big thing but at least ...

I'm pretty shure this update is not for video, it's about 3G connectivity ,more here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975851 from Microsoft

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

AFAIK you're right: It's the MS-Update KB975851 (v2).

But: I did an update of the WEI right before installing this update and immediately after the patch. So, this patch should have taken the effect ...

Please use plain text.