Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Booklet 3g GPS/a-GPS usage

Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

Booklet 3g GPS/a-GPS usage

just trying to work with the GPS functioning that is supposed to be integrated on the booklet 3g, which, in reality is a "gadget" at this point.

has anyone figured out how to use it and have it integrated with your maps on your device yet?

to me it seems that if you have the gadget running, it will beacon yourlocation so long as you are online, and there is a link to OVI Maps, which takes you to the online portal, logs you in, and allows you to see the location that is on your map, but when you go to try and route a destination, you have to enter physical locations still in order to do so with no option to select current location like in the handset, also, i have been unable to figure out how to save or forwrad the in mapping information to the handset...which probably is not an option yet, but should be.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Ovi maps doesn't support navigation. Google maps does.
‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

aint it great!?!

get a nokia product to use and android product!!!   google maps!  lol

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

I made a mistake, sorry. If I use OVI maps on E71, I go to options-> search-> address-> options search-> click on the result and walk to or drive to. I start my Ferrari  599 GTB and I'm off.:smileyvery-happy: 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

559!  :smileyvery-happy:  hope your maps 3.0 can keep up on the autobahn!  lol.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

oh, and i was talking about how the ovi maps was supposed to be integrated into the booklet 3g, but it is really just a "desktop gadget" itdoes not let you do any type of navigation to use the gps/a-gps, even in my audi a6, much more humble then your farrari!  :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

I don't understand why Nokia didn't integrate OVI maps as in the phones. The booklet has all the features needed. 

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/mini-laptops/nokia-booklet-3g/specifications 

But if I look at page 13 of the English manual, there is no navigation option.

http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-and-software/product-support/booklet-3g/guides 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

exactly.  when they said that maps integration was there, i didnt think it would be a "gadget" since thier ovi maps was good on the handsets.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
ceroberts75

so here is an official video from nokia.

shows the gadget and the ovi integation.  unfortunately, i have not been doing anything wrong!

it is, currently, just a gadget and then pops the map open to the area you are in, but shows no beacon of where you are, nor can you get directions by clicking ie-my current location and the typing in a selected address to go to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1XQExM2MJ4

Please use plain text.
Sage

Got the GPS working with NMEA output without using Ovi maps.

Make sure you close the Ovi Maps gadget on the desktop first as this locks the COM ports.

Get hold of Tera Term (http://en.sourceforge.jp/projects/ttssh2/releases/) since Hyperterminal is gone in Windows 7.

Open Tera Term, New Connection, under port select:

Serial port GPS Control Interface (COM5 for me)

Type in: AT_OGPS=2 to activate GPS

and conversely

Type in AT_OGPS=0 to de-activate GPS

If you want to see the raw NMEA data stream once activated, open another terminal:

Connect to serial port GPS Data Interface (COM4 for me)

You will see the NMEA data streaming out. I use GPSVP for Marine Navigation, works perfectly. Earthbridge will probably also work, which can plot you thru Google Earth..don't know about others, but you should be able to use Franson GPSGate to mimmick a Garmin and thus load Garmin Mobile PC navigation software.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.  Would like to know how much battery usage is impaired by leaving the GPS on permanently.  Will try to do some tests.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Update

Earthbridge bombs out with an unhandled exception error, shame, but no worries, Google Earth works directly, very nice.

(Open Google Earth, under Tools, GPS, Click on RealTime Tab, Select NMEA and tick the box "Automatically Follow Path")

Don't forget you need to activate the GPS first, as above.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Thanks for the good tips, nokkika. I do get a GPS signal but it shows my positions somewhere in the ocean off western africa. Perhaps it has something to do with the date Google Earth uses. The date in GE is 01/01/1970 and I haven't found a way to change it. Setting it to my system time uses the correct time but the wrong date.
Please use plain text.
Sage

No no. You just don't have a valid fix yet.  GPS always defaults to middle of ocean until it gets a 3D fix, but a good sign that it is up and running. Go outside and wait for a while. Might take a while to get first fix, but it will happen.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Ah yes. I just had to place the booklet a bit closer to the window. Now it found my position very exact.

VERY COOL!

Hopefully Option will update their driver so that it works without teraterm. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Does any one know why I can not connect to the COM port?

There is no response on teraterm.

Also, my gadget can not locate my position neither?

Need some help to see what is going on with my NB.

I tested the 3G part, it should be fine, I can see the 3G signal but I did not try to connect cause I do not buy the data plan. 

Thanks, 

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

I don't get visual feedback when typing it into Tera Term. I have to type "blind". Do you mean that?

Do you have an Internet connection at all on the Booklet? If not, then you can only use unassisted GPS - without "A" - and getting a satellite fix with that will take a long time.

Message Edited by debilo on 10-Dec-2009 07:48 AM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

So, in Tera Term, I have to type in "blind"? I can not see any thing?!

let me try,

How about after I activited the GPS, if I connect to the GPS data port using Tera Term,

Will I see the gps data stream? like  NOKKIKA mentioned in post 10?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Sage

Ok, first of all, in Tera Term under Setup, Terminal, make sure you tick "Local Echo", then you will see what you are typing.

Second of all, when you type in AT_OGPS=2 to activate GPS, it should return a response of "OK"

Third and last, if you open a New Connection, and connect to serial GPS Data Connection, you should see a stream of NMEA output, without typing anything in.  This will show that GPS is activate - even if it does not have a FIX yet.  You will have to wait a while before you get a fix.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks

You are the man!!

Please use plain text.
Sage
myroslav

@yewaiyin: The better way to admit that person provided you good info is to use "star" Kudos button. In hat way you are heling others find good posts, and helpful authors.
Nokia Booklet 3G upgraded with Intel x18-m SSD and Fedora 13 (Linux) as main OS
Please use plain text.