Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: HELP CK300 UPDATE! I NEED USB SW Update Cable ...

HELP CK300 UPDATE! I NEED USB SW Update Cable CA-138D.

Hi,

first of all sorry for my poor English, I'm from Italy.

I've bought a CK-300 more than 6 months ago. As many know, in order to listen to music and car navigation voice I need to update the sw. Unfortunately here the data cable seems a ghost!

I've contacted Nokia assistance a lot of times, via mail and telephone, but they can't help me. I know that they're trying to have a cable from the headquarters in Finland... I think this is scandalous and ridicolous.

So I'd like to solve the problem by myself: is there anybody in Europe so gentle to find and sell me the cable? I've read here that in UK seems easy to find it.

I'm looking forward for positive replies!

Thanks in advance.

Paolo.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Re: HELP CK300 UPDATE! I NEED USB SW Update Cable CA-138D.

Hi paolo76

You cannot purchase CA-138D in the UK but a number of Nokia Accredited Carkit installers have the cable, although the cost incurred in retrieving unit form behind glovebox/dashboard to update if a call-out is involved seems to put people off. Unfortunately newer Nokia carkits use a micro USB connector so there is very little demand for this cable as increasingly unlikely that there would be any future upgrades released for CK-300. If you were in the UK, I would have tried to help you further with this issue.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
confiture

Hi Paolo

What software version  do you have, and what handset?

Please use plain text.

Hi confiture

HF21W SW

sw version 1.190 but I absolutely need to upgrade to 1.400 in order to listen to music and car navigation voice.

I've bought the CK300 just for this reason, and I think it's scandalous that it doesen't work and that is impossible to fix it in Italy!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi paolo76

This is the original software version I think, as my last two purchased versions were v1.2 and have yet to see one come out of the box running v1.4, although Accredited Nokia Carkit Installers may well been requested to upgrade units prior to installation. If and when you manage to get unit upgraded, remember that you still have to alter in Settings in CarMenu application on your device to allow "All Audio events" to get "Voice Navigation" commands to mute the radio.

Please use plain text.

Hi everybody,

just to tell you that yesterday, after 6 months, Nokia assistance called me: they have found the cable! Incredible. I immediatly run to the assistance and they flashed the sw. Now I've the 1.400 release. But I still can't hear to music and voice navigation... but I know that I certainly have to go to center that installed the kit: there is certainly something to change in the connection with the car stereo. Thanks a lot again, bye, Paolo.

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
confiture

You must connect both outputs from the car kit to the stereo.

Mono output to take calls through the inbox ISO cable or 3.5mm socket wiht the little locking block on it.

Stereo output must go to aux in on the car stereo. This is the 3.5mm socket with no locking block but a silver ring on it.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi it was stated that the USB is a Micro USB is this just a straight USB cable as Micro cables are availale in lots of places? so I am confused why we would have to use the Nokia cable unless it's wored differently? any ideas fromt he guys that know would be great.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi iane71

CA-138D update cable has the multi-plug from CA-113CU at one end and USB at the other. Later units such as CK-100 can use micro USB so no issues with these.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

That makes sense now. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi jsut had a CK300 kit fitted on Friday and guess what it has software version 1.2 and the nokia approved fitter knows nothing about a upgrade cable or that the software can be re-flashed.

So can I beg/borrow or buy a cable from someone!!! I would be hapy to pay postage both ways and a bit for lending it. As I can see you can download the firmware update but can't buy the cable.

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
confiture

iane71 you have a private message :smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

could i get the same message?

im searching for this cable in Germany, same bad situation.

btw, does anybody know if Nokia is releasing an 5800XM compatible CarMenu-application?

thx, Benedikt

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
blutarsky

Hi there this afternoon I'm going to install the kit.

Any idea about updating the firmware without the special USB cable?

BTW, where would you plug this special cable into the CK-300 unit?

I own a HF-21W unit

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

blutarsky wrote:

Hi there this afternoon I'm going to install the kit.

Any idea about updating the firmware without the special USB cable?

BTW, where would you plug this special cable into the CK-300 unit?

I own a HF-21W unit

Hi blutarsky
The CA-138D plugs into same socket as CA-113CU and if you are UK based have a look here for a list of Nokia  Accredited carkit installers whom have the required cable and won't charge much for this very quick procedure to be carried out:http://apps.nokia.co.uk/carkit/http://apps.nokia.co.uk/carkit/
Unfortunately it is against the forum rules to post any disassembly instructions, although it is only a recommendation not a necessity to use CA-138D to update HF-21W unit but why take the risk.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
blutarsky

Just back from the installer, everything works (almost) perfectly.

Audio streamed via bluetooth seems acceptable, what I dislike is Carmenu applet on the phone, because it doesn't use all the screen size in landscape mode on my N96. I had a go with Carmenu for lanscape phones but it doesn't work at all on my N96.

I believe this software could be improved, at lenght. They (nokia) could have simply enabled remote control navigation everywhere....

One question about the update:

- how do I know what fw version is using my unit?

- any advantage on latest version 1.4?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
blutarsky

Update: I have found the info menu: I have the latest fw installed....
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
colster

I am based in Ireland and noone can tell me where I ca get this cable.  I have been in touch with the Nokia Care team, Carphone warehouse and a number of other stores and kit installers.  Noone has this cable.  Not even Nokia seem to know about it.

Can anyone help me to get my hands on one?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
confiture

Hi Colm

I have replied to your private message

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Has agaiRe: HELP CK300 UPDATE! I NEED USB SW Update Cable CA-138D.

Now that the software as again be updated to 1.5 I am still on 1.2 and have no voice from Maps. I have 2 questions what does 1.5 software have extra to 1.4? And why don't nokia sell these cables I have a PDF of how to make one but don't know were to get the plug from I would like to buy as I have this kit in my car and plan to have this for the next 3 years so I am sure would use it again.

I would even rent one if anyone has one as I could post it back after useing it.

Any ideas would be helpful

Please use plain text.