Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Hotkey s stopped working

Accepted Solution

Hotkey s stopped working

Hi there,

as of yesterday, the Fn-Hotkeys stopped working on my Booklet. During startup, I get an error message that the HotKey App stopped working. I have to admit I installed quite a lot this weekend on the booklet (symbian sdks, carbide, qt, etc), and after one of the restarts, this error came up.

I've tried going back to an earlier restore point (rstrui.exe) as well as uninstalling, reinstalling the Hotkey Utility from the support download site a couple of times, but still the same. When I uninstall it, I at least can get BT, wifi and 3G working through F8 (but it's all or nothing, no selective on/off).

Any ideas - am I the only with this? Probably have to go through a full system restore, right?

Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: Hotkey s stopped working

Not had this problem, but Once you have installed the Hot Key Utility, have you tried going to C:\Program Files\Hot Key and launching CeEkey.exe?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi,

The hotkey on my booklet is also acting weird.  They are 'OK' in that volume, brightness etc works.  However, except for the brightness icon, the rest dun show up on screen.  For example, when I press Fn + F10, I dun get the selection on screen; it just turns the wireless stuff on/off.

Have tried installing and uninstalling whatever that is available on Nokia Support but it didn't help.

Any ideas whatelse can be done?

Regards,

Redleaf

Please use plain text.
Sage

Very difficult to isolate, I don't have this problem at all - in which case it is likely to be 3rd party software.  Logitech software (external keyboards, mice etc...) often causes the Fn keys to get messed up.  Try and isolate recent software that you have installed.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Dun have any external devices connected/installed.  Really at a loss now.

Even the GPS isn't working.  This gotta be one of the worse experience with a commercial product...

Please use plain text.

OK, I have it again - after I had to go back to a full system restore... now I had my booklet nearly where I wanted it to and everything was working perfectly.... except Hotkey is lost again. The CeEKey.exe starts and then quietly dies again...

here is what I find in the system log for it:

Faulting application name: CeEKey.exe, version: 1.77.0.19, time stamp: 0x4aa9e1ab
Faulting module name: CeEKey.exe, version: 1.77.0.19, time stamp: 0x4aa9e1ab
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00002a16
Faulting process id: 0xf00
Faulting application start time: 0x01caaf51a9fad5e9
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\HotKey\CeEKey.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\HotKey\CeEKey.exe
Report Id: ea3399d5-1b44-11df-a552-a7545960af

not happy at all!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jdc83

I had the same problem and I could solve it. I think it is a problem of a windows update because I had not installed any programa when it stopped working.

Well, what I did is going to hotkeys folder and execute CeEkey.exe in windows xp compatibility mode. You have to open it as an administrator.

I hope it can solve your problem as it did in my nokia.

Please use plain text.

excellent - you're a star... that seems to solve it :smileywink:

THANKS!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
sirgader

Hello!
I can confirm that it works well. The solution is good one but i'd like to find out what is the reason of such fault.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Booklet_3G

Not on XP itself though (cf. /t5/Mini-Laptops/Request-for-XP-drivers/m-p/925309), where brightness shows just two accessible steps, neither of which makes a visible difference either.
Please use plain text.
winart7

I didn't know what happen with my Fn key ( he same error above) when i upgraded for new windows version , i have tried this and everything then ok.

Click on C:\Program Files\Hotkey\CeEKey

Right click on file - chose Properties - chose Tab 'Compatibility':

1. Chose Run this program in compatibility mode for:  Windows 7 

2. Privilege: Chose Run this program as an administrator

Apply - Ok

Restart

Done!

:smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I tried reinstalling the hotkey driver and run it in compatability and admin mode - no luck. 

But by removing the battery while Windows was on,  at least the Wireless network came alive again. 

However, the Hotkeys are still dead....

Please use plain text.