Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How to reset SD card on 5310 (Format to remove pas...

Advisor

How to reset SD card on 5310 (Format to remove password)

Ok a couple months ago I put a password on my 8GB SDHC card on my Nokia 5310 (Orange) but since it never asked me for the password, I figured the feature was bugged and left it there.
Last week I decided to check for updates and there were updates for the phone but it warned me to remove any passwords from the SD card so I stopped it. Since I have forgotten the password, I couldn't remove it through the phone menus. I moved all my data to my computer and started trying to remove that password. Here's what I have done so far.

1. Format the card from the Phone menus (Password stayed)
2. Format the card by selecting DATA STORAGE mode and connecting the phone to the computer. That way the computer recognizes it as a USB flash drive so I formatted the card from Windows (took 4 hours) but password stayed.
3. Bought a SDHC card reader but it says that no card is inserted into it...aka can't read the card, probably because it has that password so I can't format it from on the computer using a card reader.

How can I get rid of the password on the card? Currently my phone knows the password since I didn't update it and works fine with the card, however, if it resets or if I change phone the card will effectively be USELESS so I need to unlock it. I have moved all the data out of it so a format is fine as long as it works.
Phone:    Nokia 5310 (Orange) from T-mobile running v8.21
SD Card: Kingston 8GB MicroSDHC Class 4

Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: How to reset SD card on 5310 (Format to remove password)

In the same menu where you set the password up on the memory card you should also have the ability to remove the password altogether.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Yeit has that...thing is it wants the password I PUT FIRST in order to remove it. I don't know it anymore.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

In that case you might as well throw it away and buy another one if you need the password to format the card.

Make sure you copied hidden and system files/folders as well as normal ones when you backed up the content of the card (without that you might lose any applications, contacts, messages, themes etc. that were on it) and then copy that content back to the new card when you've replaced it.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Sigh...if I was gonna buy a new card, I wouldn't post here...

How can I format THIS one...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

By supplying the password, which you don't have. Ergo, there's nothing you can do with this memory card except throw it away. You can't even use it as a paperweight because it's too light...

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Sigh...my card WORKS now since I never reset the phone. The phone KNOWS the password so the card works for now. Problem is I wanna update the phone and it would lock itself...
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I can format the card JUST FIne like I said...the password STAYS after the format though, THAT is the problem.
Please use plain text.
Sage
pamdemonium

[ Edited ]

Like grschinon already said, unless you can recall the password, there's nothing much else you can do. To continue using this memory card, since you don't intend to throw it away, you will never be able to:

1. Update your phone software.

2. Use your memory card in any other device.

The purpose of setting a password to the memory card is to prevent the card from being accessed by unauthorised devices. It will only work in your phone since that was when the password was set. In order to use it with other devices (memory card readers, other compatible phones, etc), your card will ask you to authorise the device by entering the password.

You chose to set the password in the memory card. The only way to remove it is to remember the password to deactivate the password security setting in the memory card.

So basically... that's it. There is no other possible advice to give you on this forum for your phone model.

Message Edited by pamdemonium on 21-Feb-2009 11:04 AM

"Try not. Do or do not, there is no try."
If you found someone's comments helpful or like what that person has to say, please give some Kudos to the post! :smileywink:

Please use plain text.