Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: JBL PowerUp Wireless Charging Speaker for Noki...

Contributor
RMDEQ

JBL PowerUp Wireless Charging Speaker for Nokia MD-100W Questions

In posting this message, I am hoping to reach other owners of the JBL PowerUp Wireless Charging Speaker for Nokia, which has model name MD-100W. I have two questions that I would like your answers to in the hope of determining whether the issues I am experiencing with the speaker are limited to my speaker, or limited to my phone, or whether they would occur with any speaker or any phone. These tests presume that you have already followed the instructions in the manual such that you have already bound a mobile device to the speaker through Bluetooth.

1. The first test I would ask you to perform is to power on the speaker using the spring loaded button on the rear of the speaker.

a. Does the speaker make any sounds, in particular a sequence of 1-3 tones?

b. Now, press the button again to turn off the speaker. Does the speaker make any sounds, in particular a sequence of 1-3 tones?

c. Now, ensure that bluetooth in your mobile device is disabled. Press the spring loaded button again to turn on the speaker. Activate Bluetooth in your mobile device. When the mobile device connects, does the speaker make any sounds, in particular a sequence of 1-3 tones?

d. Disable bluetooth in your mobile device, leave the speaker powered on and do nothing with the speaker for approximately 30 minutes. When the speaker enters standby mode after 30 minutes of non-use, does the speaker make any sounds in particular a sequence of 1-3 tones?

2. The second test requires that you connect an audio source to the rear of the speaker using a 3.5mm male audio connector. I believe the audio source can be any audio source that is consistently providing a signal. Before performing this test, ensure that your mobile device is prepared for a system crash should one occur.

a. With bluetooth in your mobile device disabled, and the speaker powered on, start the Line-In audio source. Does the speaker play the audio source on Line-In?

b. Enable bluetooth on your mobile device, and ensure your mobile device is playing audio. Does the speaker play the audio source on Line-In, the audio on your mobile device, or do something else? Please describe what occurs.

c. Leave bluetooth on your mobile device enabled for one minute. Does your mobile device crash?

I have reported these issues to Nokia Support, and they would like to replace my speaker. I do not believe replacing my speaker would resolve these issues. They have asked me to reproduce the problems on other MD-100W speakers and because I only own own, and don't know if I have any friends or relatives who own them, I am asking the community for help. Although Nokia may possess more speakers and mobile devices than I do, I have no information that they have made any attempt to reproduce these problems.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RMDEQ

Re: JBL PowerUp Wireless Charging Speaker for Nokia MD-100W Questions

Issue #1 is reproduced for all to see. I don't know if I can post a link in this forum (http://www.flickr.com/photos/95352319@N05/8696264063) but if I can't, you'll need to go see your friend Flickr and search for my user name, or perhaps tags like JBL, Nokia, and PowerUp.

Issue #2 is difficult to reproduce. While attempting to reproduce the phone crash, I was able to crash Bluetooth and experience "picket fencing" between the Line-In and Bluetooth sources.  Perhaps if the picket fencing occurs just wrong, the Bluetooth device itself will crash. I have posted, in the same place as Issue #1, a video of the picket fencing (but neither the phone nor the Bluetooth crash in this video). http://www.flickr.com/photos/95352319@N05/8697460314

Arguably, the conditions for crashing the phone in #2 might not happen very frequently because it depends what the audio source is and what the particular music is. The MD-100W does not have a selector for which music to amplify. So, if you have signal on Line In and over Bluetooth, the unit attempts to decide which one to play.

In my case, my audio source was a Sonos CONNECT:AMP (without fixed volume) and the particular music was the Rhapsody Jazz Romance channel. Over Bluetooth on the Lumia 822 was "Pearl Jam Recommends"; basically 80's alternative rock. I had the Sonos configured without fixed volume because before the MD-100W, it was hooked up to an iHome speaker that had a button selector for input and it was convenient to be able to reduce the volume or mute the sound through either the Sonos controller or the iHome speaker.

Because the Jazz Romance channel would often play songs with some very quiet passages, the MD-100W would determine that there was no sound coming in the LineIn, and would switch over to the 80's pop. Then, the MD-100W would detect a louder passage on Line-In and switch back to Line-In. Every time it got softer, it would switch back.

My hope is that Nokia will address both of these issues with a firmware update.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RMDEQ

At some point, Nokia moderators removed the thread at:

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Accessories-Car-Phones-and-Other/JBL-PowerUp-Wireless-Charging-Speak...

This contained my pre-purchase question about how the PowerUp speaker selects between LineIn and Bluetooth sources. However, the thread also discussed the various notification tones from the PowerUp that discourage its use in a quiet environment like a bedroom. As I discussed in that thread, I was able to configure my audio source for a sleep setting which played music for 30 minutes. Then, an additional 30 minutes after my music ended, the PowerUp woke me up when it loudly announced with a notification beep that it was going to sleep.

Here are the things that generate notification tones:

1. Powering the MD-100W on with the rear switch

2. Connecting the MD-100W to a Bluetooth device

3. Powering the MD-100W off with the rear switch

4. Powering the MD-100W off after 30 minutes of non-use.

Fortunately, putting a phone on the charging base turns the lights on the charging base, but does not cause a notification tone.

Please use plain text.
mystrmarkus

I just bought the JBL expressly to charge my phone while I sleep and listen to music in my bedroom.

I  was rudely awoken last night by the tone as it powered down after 30 minutes. This post is the only mention I have been able to find reaging this "feature." This seems like a terrible flaw in the design of the product. Has there been a software update to remedy this? Or has it been address in any way by Nokia or JBL?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RMDEQ

I agree completely. I believe Rule #1 of speakers is that they should reproduce the signal given and otherwise make no other sound.

On May 1st, I received a polite reply from Nokia.

+++

Thank you for getting back to us.

We would like to inform you that we value all constructive feedback that we receive. This gives us a gainful insight towards developing and providing greater technology, products and services to our customers. While we can understand the dismay expressed in your correspondence, we can assure you that we prioritize and understand the support required by our customers. Please be assured that we are continually looking at ways of improving to provide you with better products and services. The comments you have made will not go unnoticed and we will strive to ensure that every effort is made to assure our customers of the level of commitment available. For this, your comments and feedback about the JBL PowerUp Wireless Charging Speaker for Nokia MD-100W has been forwarded to the Research and Development department for evaluation and future consideration.

Furthermore, as of the moment, we suggest to send the phone for evaluation or you may contact with your point of purchased.

You may also call Nokia Careline at 1-888-665-4228 from Mondays to Fridays at 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. EST (closed on national public holidays) for immediate assistance.

We wish you a pleasant day ahead.

Kind regards,

+++

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RMDEQ

I have discovered two other "odd sounds" caused by the JBL PowerUp Wireless Charging Speaker for Nokia MD-100W. Both of these occur with Bluetooth disabled on my Nokia Lumia 822.

1. Sometimes, when I place my phone on the speaker to charge overnight, the speaker turns itself on! Normally, I wouldn't care but the speaker makes those three loud tones when it turns on, which wakes my partner up if I'm the second one to bed. Because it doesn't always do this, I've tried to narrow down what makes it occur. As near as I can tell, if I am watching videos, stop watching videos, and place my phone on the speaker before the lock screen activates after a minute of non-use, I get the sounds. I reliably don't get the sounds if I shutdown the phone and place it on the speaker (although placing the phone on the speaker will turn the phone back on).

2. Under "Ringtones and Sounds" I have the Nokia Lumia 822 configured to vibrate and play sounds for Reminders, Key Press, Lock and Unlock, Camera Shutter. "All other notifications" is unchecked. When my phone is on the speaker, the phone buzzes an average of three times in six hours at unpredictable times. I recently went on vacation and plugged my phone into the wall charger instead of using the JBL PowerUp Wireless Charging Speaker for Nokia MD-100W, and the phone did not buzz overnight. Although the phone is making the annoying sound in this case, I've only noticed it happening when the phone is charging with the speaker.

Have Nokia engineers posted any firmware updates for this speaker? I'm eager to have all these problems fixed.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
RMDEQ

I just checked the Nokia website, and the software for the MD-100W is still NASU_1_1_3_0_EndUser, which I have installed. That is, no update has been posted at Nokia.
Please use plain text.