Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

N8's headset (WH-701) not stereo?

Counsellor
joeaperson
Accepted Solution

N8's headset (WH-701) not stereo?

[ Edited ]

Is N8's headset (WH-701) not actually stereo? No matter where I tried to plug it in (my N8 and my computer's back and front panel) and what method I used to test it (YouTube videos, Realtek HD Audio Manager, or even generating my own test sound with an audio editor), it always failed the stereo test.

By "failing the stereo test", I mean the following is happening: a channel is heard in both ears but the other channel is not heard at all, or the mixing of left and right channels is heard in both ears. Look at the following table for more information (note that the "Good" result never happens with the headset).

+---------+-------------+-------------+

| Result  | L-ear hears | R-ear hears |

| Good    | L-channel   | R-channel   |

| Fail #1 | L-channel   | L-channel   |

| Fail #2 | R-channel   | R-channel   |

| Fail #3 | L+R-channel | L+R-channel |

Consequently, at least the following kind of recordings won't play properly in the headset: 3D sounds, binaural beats, and FPS games.

P.S. Aside from the issue, the headset is working properly and its sound quality is very good. Also, my computer's speaker passes the stereo test easily. This pretty much rules out computer problems.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
joeaperson

Re: N8's headset (WH-701) not stereo?

Update: I also tested the headset in a variety of televisions and played with each television's balance controls. No dice either. Still the same problem.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
joeaperson

I upgraded my N8 from the shipping Symbian^3 version (13.016) to the latest Nokia Belle (111.030.0609) and, lo and behold, the problem went away. The headset still has "stereo problem" when connected to other devices (like computers, stereos, and televisions), but I suppose it is a Nokia headset meant for use with Nokia mobile phones, so it is not guaranteed to be compatible with other devices, right?

This video now plays correctly on the headset (but only when it is connected to the N8).

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Gravaviel

I'm sitting with the same problem, however it's only developed recently and definitely appears to be software related. Using the play via FM function only provides right audio channel. Preparing to do a complete wipe and reload of my phone.

Please use plain text.