Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: New GMA500 driver: 4.3 Windows Experience Inde...

Sage

New GMA500 driver: 4.3 Windows Experience Index!

Intel has a new GMA 500 driver with MUCH improved Aero performance out. The old Windows Experience Aero Index with driver build #2013 was 2.5. With the new build #2019 it's 4.3!

You can download the new driver at the fit-PC site http://www.fit-pc2.com/download/win7-drivers/ 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: New GMA500 driver: 4.3 Windows Experience Index!

Downloading now, I picked up the Booklet yesterday at my local Best Buy and I'm extremely happy with it, upgraded to Home Premium and there is almost no lag in Aero animations.

I'll post results with the new gma 500 driver. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Graphics rating for aero went from 2.9 to 4.1 but I don't see to much boost in performance.
Please use plain text.
Sage

True, there is not much of a difference. There are also still some flickering elements (e.g. the + in Google Chromes tab bar). On the other hand, Aero with transparency off isn't any slower than Basic (only slightly more sluggish when fast scrolling in a browser). The Aero display quality is better: When you quickly move windows, they leave trails under Basic. Not so under Aero. In Excel I sometimes get black "artifacts" under Basic. With Aero it is all good in Excel.

The boot process with Aero is different to Basic. When the desktop appears, all tray items and services are already loaded. With Basic it is like in old Windows versions where the load process still continues when the desktop is displayed.

Intel obviously still has some work to do on the driver. For the time being I leave Aero on. It also looks much better with the UI animations and Aero Peek is handy.

This #2019 driver is the maintenance release 2 for the one on Windows Update. Nokia should refresh the driver on their support site. Most of the others there are also out of date.

My WEI ratings are 2.3 (processor), 4.3 (RAM), 4.3 (Aero), 2.3 (Games), 4.4 (HD)
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

You can disable the maximize-minimize window animations and the system open windows almost instantly and you still get Aero on, super taskbar, previews, etc.
Please use plain text.
Sage

Intel nows has the GMA 500 Windows 7 drivers on their download site. #2019 ist still the latest.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop... 

Please use plain text.
Sage

Please use plain text.
Sage

This driver enables hardware acceleration of Flash video if you have Flash 10.1 Beta installed. My Aero WEI increased a bit as well to 4.5. Worthy update.
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hmm, I'm not sure what I've done different than you chaps, but I haven't got an increase at all, in fact my WEI went back down to the original 2.2. It changed to 2.3 after I upgraded the HDD. HELP!

Processor is at ...............2.2 

Memory is at ..................4.3

Graphics is at .................2.9

Gaming Graphics are at ...2.3

HDD is ...........................5.9 (upgraded to SSD)

I have the latest drivers installed as well as Adobe Flash 10 beta. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Pesman

I concur!

No change after installing the new drivers.

Processor is at ...............2.2 

Memory is at ..................4.3

Graphics is at .................2.9

Gaming Graphics are at ...2.3

HDD is ...........................4.4 (default drive)

Phone history:
LG Optimus 7, N8, HTC HD2, E71, E61, E70, 6822, 6820, 9210i, 9110, 6310i, 6310, 6210, 3210, 3110, 1610

Other experience:
Nokia Booklet 3G
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Graphics index dropped from 4.3 to 2.9 with the latest drivers :-(
Please use plain text.
Professor
vvaino

hvitie,

Same story for me at first run.

Try again. Close ALL other progs and run new test. 

I don´t know why the index gets back  to 4,3 at second run but

it worked for me.

-vvaino 

#SwitchToLumia
Please use plain text.
Advisor

So correct me if i'm wrong, but those of you who've got WEI increases with the new drivers have only updated the drivers and not changed any system preferences, ie, turning Aero down or off? Nothing in the event viewer reveals anything that hampers performance.

I've re-run the assesment with no programs running with Win 7 Ultimate, SSD upgrade, Flash 10 beta, Latest GMA 500 driver. All else is default.

Are there any clues...?

Please use plain text.
Sage

[ Edited ]

Here's mine http://bit.ly/5z1Gt5. I currently run Windows in Basic mode as it's just more responsive. Aero with transparency off is barely tolerable.

BTW, atm Flash video acceleration doesn't work. Apparently Adobe will integrate GMA 500 support in the next beta.

Message Edited by debilo on 07-Jan-2010 03:59 PM
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thanks, waino! After rebooting the index is 4.3 again.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

that new driver did wonders for flash and aero...but i ended up turning aero off since it is such a memory hog. i had 80% of ram used with aero on...and with it off im in the low 50s. helps when your booklet doubles as your desktop pc!!
Please use plain text.