Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Are Nokia dropping the SU-1B Digital Pen?

Counsellor

Are Nokia dropping the SU-1B Digital Pen?

Hi.
I was wondering if anyone else had heard if Nokia are dropping the SU-1B Digital Pen and having their new pen rebranded from Logitech?
I cant belive it myself but there must be something in this...thoughts please?

J
Registered Member

Re: Are Nokia dropping the SU-1B Digital Pen?

i hope that this is not correct
Counsellor

Yep, ive had it confirmed. The pen is a re-branded logitech io2 BT Digi pen.
Counsellor

Here in black and white!...
click on 'Browse categories'
then 'messaging'
then 'Nokia SU-27W'

http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,8764,83227,00.html
Mobile Sensei

The original technology provider is Anoto (whose technology has been licensed by different companies for similar products, including Nokia and Logitech).

http://www.anoto.com/

Hi,

it seems that the Nokia SU-1B had to be stopped selling due to RoHs regulation. Thats an environmental issue from the EU. I realized that several products e.g. carkits stopped or got a re-fresh of the product due to this regulation.
Mobile Sensei

I read that the SU-1B was a nightmare to connect to windows (you had to disable virus software & internet connection). Is that true? Does the new pen solve the problem?
Mobile Sensei

I had no probelms with the SU-1B; virus scanners, firewall apps, Internet connections, PC Suite, all worked fine with the pen connected.

I read it in a review on ZDNet. I've got MacAfee on this PC, Norton on others and something obscure and techie at work. The disabling your net connection is odd and obviously on an office network is quite tricky too.
Advisor

So with the new pen there's a handwriting recognition software for the phone? The N80 is listed as compatible with the new SU-27W pen, so is there an S60 v3 version of this software?
Counsellor

Counsellor

No there is no handwriting recognition that sits on any phone, the anoto architecture does not work in that way.

Digital pen providers have their own recognition software and logitech have their own for a local/consumer product. Logitech use a stripped down version of 'Vision Objects'.
Advisor

Actually the pen comes with the Sysnet PenMail software for S60 which contains handwriting recognition. (Vision Object as well).
Mobile Guru
friedbrains

does anybody knows if this is possibel using the SU-27W or in conjucntion with another phone software... here is what i want to happen:

- write sms/mms using the pen, the message sent to the phone (this i know can be done) and then the phone automatically sends the sms/mms to the recipient listed on the message...

anybody?
Counsellor

No, you would have to manually enter the recipients contact info on the phone.
Advisor

With the Clairefontaine/Metalinks PaperPC system, which was web based, coding on the paper determined the destination of the e-mail. However, this system has gone belly up (and Clairefontaine are refunding users). The Sysnet PenMAIL system, of which I have yet to have first hand experience, says that it uses the phone's directory as the source of the mail destination.
Mobile Guru
friedbrains

26-Oct-2006
12:30 AM
alphagem wrote:
With the Clairefontaine/Metalinks PaperPC system, which was web based, coding on the paper determined the destination of the e-mail. However, this system has gone belly up (and Clairefontaine are refunding users). The Sysnet PenMAIL system, of which I have yet to have first hand experience, says that it uses the phone's directory as the source of the mail destination.

i just saw Sysnet PenMAIL site, it is interesting, but requires another subscription aside from GPRS... and it is only supporting SU-1B... i wonder about upgrades to S60 3rd ed??? promising though...
Advisor

Just installed the OxfordM3 system, and finally got around to installing my main e-mail box on the phone (thanks to a very helpful guide in this forum).

The only missing link in my system is the digital to phone link. Oxford M3 say they are not planning anything to support the Sysnet system, but I will investigate it further to see what I have to do to get it running.

I don't really like the idea of carrying around two pads (one for the phone and one for the PC system) which it sounds as if I might have to do) but the functionality of having handwriting recognition on the phone and the ability to generate text documents and e-mails on the fly from a handwritten source is very attractive to me.
Advisor

Sorry, I meant to say the missing link was handwriting to text on the phone. PenMail has handwriting recognition software sitting on the phone in the same way that the OxfordM3 Denos system has it sitting on the PC.