Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: BL 5B battery problem-expanded

Mobile Guru
sockatume

You should contact Nokia Care and complain about how that care point treated you, and explain that you've gone to their competitor. They seem to be franchised out to anyone who can operate a screwdriver and my own experiences with them have soured my relationship with Nokia, and with my phone provider, who are sick of having to repair and replace the handsets at their own expense. Only by reporting the bad ones will action be taken.
Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Please use plain text.

Hi!

I've got the same problem here, with a Nokia 5200.

It first started to have a bad reception recently, then the battery started to need to be recharged more often.

I first thought it was because of my operator, and thought it was normal that the battery would last less than before with such a bad reception. But I tried my Sim card on some other phone, and the reception was good...

I just noticed more recently that the battery had swollen.

The phone is less than 2 years old and it is the original battery in it.

It have never suffered from bad treatment.

From what I've been reading here, going to a Nokia Care Point will not help me.

It's a phone I bought in Norway, but I'm now living in Belgium, so I will not be able to go back to the shop where I bought it.

I think that, seeing the amount of messages about this specific problem and even with this 6 months warranty rule,

Nokia should do something. It's appearing clearly that there is a problem with the BL-5B batteries, and the Nokia's customers who hare having problems because of this battery should be treated like the ones who have had problems wth the BL-5C batteries. A free replacement, and excuses would be welcome, unless Nokia believes it can afford loosing customers.

Acually, the only thing that makes me still using Nokia products is it's ranking in the Greenpeace' "guide to greener electronics", but after having so many problems with Nokia products, I see no reason not to encourage Samsung which is 2nd in the "guide for greener electronics".

I am seriously awaiting for a positive answer, unless I will definitively quit using Nokia's products, and never guide my friends and family to buy any Nokia phone.

Bye. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I suppose technically Norway is not in the EU hence the non validity of the warranty.In any case, the warranty on batteries is only six months so returning it to a Nokia Care Point is not going to achieve anything for you.

The BL-5C recall was due to a different issue and not necessary the batteries bulging and should not be confused with the issues you are having which is more than likely due to improper charging.. 

Lastly, this is a user to user forum. Although it is frequented by Nokia employees, they are here in their personal capacity and so you may not get an official reply. You should use the "Contact us" tab to the top right of this screen if you wish to contact Nokia directly regarding this issue.

Please use plain text.

Thank you for your answer.

I sent the same message to Nokia's contact but I would like to try to federate more people in order to obtain reparation, that's why I'm also writing here.

Norway is included in the warranty, but you are right, it does not help.

It is really difficult to prove that you haven't done something. How can I make the proof  that I have NOT over charged my battery ? I can only say that I have been using the original Nokia charger, that I always checked the phone's message for full chargin. It's a question of security, a question of money and an ecological question too.

So here I am, I just can say I did nothing wrong; and Nokia can keep accusing the users of misuse sometimes without any proof. Doing this, they can sell defect products wich apparently can be dangerous (will the battery explode? suspense...). Nowhere is written that after 2 years of use the battery would have this problem.

When I bought a Nokia phone, I had to trust them (as you can't really try before you buy), but Nokia won't trust me when I tell them I've been using their product normally.

Also, I think it is a good thing that Nokia is recycling, but making phones and equipments lasting longer would be even more ecological.

Phones that breaks apart after 2 years seems to have become the rule.

Well, i guess that all the othermanufacturers are acting the same way... yerk!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

[ Edited ]

A common cause of battery bloating/bulging is overcharging. This is why you often see warnings to not leave the battery charging for more than 24 hours. I suppose from your point of view it is impposible to prove that this wasn't the case either. 

I am not a battery expert but I would have thought that had it been due to a defect in the battery, it would not have taken 2 years to start bloating. I also read somewhere that Lithium Ion batteries are only expected to last 2-3 years even if they are unused. Personally I've never has a phone battery last longer than 4 years. 

At the end of the day, batteries are consumables. I can't remember how many sets of rechargeables I've had to replace onthe Siemens cordless phones I have at home.

Message Edited by cjlim on 10-Nov-2009 12:56 PM

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Simple as that, I changed my cell phone brand into Samsung. Very happy about their customer care. They know how to deal with defect batteries at least... They know that giving me a new battery will increase their chances of selling me another Samsung cell phone. Nokia did not resolve that equation, I think... Which indeed is sad, because I actually liked the Nokias I've had for over 10 years!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

xjom wrote:
Simple as that, I changed my cell phone brand into Samsung. Very happy about their customer care. They know how to deal with defect batteries at least... They know that giving me a new battery will increase their chances of selling me another Samsung cell phone. Nokia did not resolve that equation, I think... Which indeed is sad, because I actually liked the Nokias I've had for over 10 years!

BTW, how old was your phone?

Please use plain text.

BTW, is it dangerous ? If it is, how can nokia not say that after 2 years the battery may explode ? Even if they would have written it somewhere, don't you think they should find another technology for their batteries ? A car battery do not explode when it gets old, for example, and if it does then the manufacturer is in trouble. So, a battery is a consumable, ok, after a determined time it woud be acceptable if it would have less or no autonomy at all, but it should not burn or explode nor than deteriorate my phone. All this considering I have been using my phone in a strictly normal way, wich is difficult to make Nokia believe.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

The phone was 22 months old, and I told them I usally change my phone every 24 months, and I would like to have a spare battery for the next 2 months, and then I buy a new Nokia phone (this N80 was my fourth Nokia). But no matter what arguments I put forward, they said they could not do anything, so I choose Samsung instead. (Which still makes me sad, beacuse of this 10-year-long relationship)
Please use plain text.
Contributor

And, BTW, I have also used my phone in a most caring way, and yes, the Nokia support told me that the battery could explode, and that they recommended me to not use it anymore...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

@fiskpotet

There is a risk of it exploding now that it is bloated. The risk is not age related. I suppose you could say that the bloating is a warning that things are not right. It is not likely to explode under normal circumstances.

@xjom

Actually I meant how old your samsung was when they replaced your battery for free. My experience with Samsung is they have a similar warranty with regards to batteries. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Ah! OK! The Samsung was not as old as the Nokia, it was 7 months, and the battery did not hold the charge at all. So it was not the same issue. But, the point is - they did not even ask how old the phone was...
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

I just checked. Samsung have a 12 month warranty for batteries.

I don't know why they did not ask you the age of the phone. Maybe it is because the model you have is a new model and the oldest phones are still under warranty. However, I know of someone who was asked proof of purchase and told that his battery was no longer under warranty. My point is, you would probably have had the same response from Samsung if your phone was 2 years old. 

Another thing to note that most service points are run by contractors nowadays. The way you are treated could vary from one to the next. I wouldn't even be surprised if some service centres even do multiple makes of phones. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

You may be right here. It's an Omnia HD (GT-i8910) which is not yet 12 months out in Sweden.

Ok, I will be happy for at least another 5 months, then...

If they turn me down, I'll try to find a *nice* Nokia Service Point, and might as well consider buying Nokia again in the future.

Thanks for taking your time.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Glad to be of help. Hope to see you here again after your next Nokia purchase. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I have a Nokia 6124 which contains a BL-5B. The phone has been almost continuously switched on for abou 15 months but it has never swollen or changed it shape. However, in my Nokia 6233 the BP-6M did swell slightly after some two years of use.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
anupam2906

[ Edited ]

I also faced the same issue. My Nokia phone 3230 battery BL 5B has been expanded in oval shape and backup time has been reduced .

Is there any solution for this?

If anybody found the solution, kindly let me know.

Rgds,

Anupam

pablo01 wrote:

I had EXACTLY the same problem as everyone here.  I contacted my local unfriendly Nokia repeair centre only to be told it is not covered under warranty, 6 month blah blah...(I think Nokia service is allergic to the word warranty).  Anyway this does not apply to Australia as we have separate consumer laws that ANY company trading in Australia have to abide by. However arguing this point with Nokia is time consuming and non productive, so I did the next best thing. I got an iPhone.

Bye bye Nokia with their useless buggy devices and worthless warranty to what is clearly a MANUFACTURING DEFECT (repeat slowly).

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kiran5800

Re: BL-5B battery problem-expanded

yes! the same problem with my battery also......... My BL-5J battery for my nokia 5800 xpress music  every time buljes out giving a ovel shape....... this is the third time i baught the battery and the same problem arrises........... give me a sollution????

Please use plain text.
Phalcon

Re: BL-5B battery problem-expanded

Got C1-01 which uses BL-5C..Right after 14 months the battery expanded...Is this what NOKIA brand stands for?I would never go for NOKIA again...

Please use plain text.