Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Re: Booklet 3g GPS/a-GPS usage

Sage

See here for some macros I wrote for turning GPS on and off:

/discussions/board/message?board.id=minilaptops&message.id=352&jump=true#M352

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thank you for the macros.  It is a shame that the manufacturer has not "stepped up to the plate" and done something like this on thier own or more simply figured it out beforehand.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Pesman

[ Edited ]

Tried the macro with Teraterm but receive an error message:

+CME ERROR: Unknown PDSM Error

Error occurs after the SUPL-server at-command: AT_OGPSLS=1,"http://supl.nokia.com"

Any ideas?

Message Edited by Pesman on 03-Jan-2010 03:03 PM
Phone history:
LG Optimus 7, N8, HTC HD2, E71, E61, E70, 6822, 6820, 9210i, 9110, 6310i, 6310, 6210, 3210, 3110, 1610

Other experience:
Nokia Booklet 3G
Please use plain text.
Sage

Sounds like you are trying to run the GPS On macro after you have already switched it on.  You can only run the command once when turning it on.  Use the GPS Off macro to switch it off, then try the GPS On macro again - should be fine.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I've had the same problem with that macro line, Nokkika. And I've tryed to switch 'off' and do it again but the error was there again. It doesn't seem to affect the funcionability of the GPS because the Tera Term Log appears as 'connected'.

Anyway, thank you for the tutorials!

I just would like to know where to download a Garmin software with maps to my location (Brazil).

Do you know any?

Tnks.

Please use plain text.
Sage

This line of the macro only affects the A-GPS side of things, to allow a quicker fix, and will function without.  You can also try other SUPL servers, mine works fine with my Mobile Provider using "http://supl.vodafone.com" in the UK, but I always get this same error when I try to run the macro twice in a row, without running the GPS_Off macro first.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Now it is working fine. I closed all openned Tera Term programs and did the same again. It's ok.

I've downloaded the gpsVP but my Internet appear as 'error'. 

Do you have any idea?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Sage

Go to Maps, Raster Maps,Raster Map Type and use OpenStreetMap.org Map.  It should start downloading tiles of your location. and Internet should say Ok.  Just make sure you have Maps, Raster Maps, enable raster downloading...enabled. and also under SetUp, Allow Internet Connection.  The internet comes up as Error usually on the Google Maps..those Google boys are always switching servers or blocking you, so sometimes Google Maps works, sometimes not.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I did exactly as you told. Anyway, the internet appears always as 'Idle' and connection appears as 'No Fix' (or sometimes 'Fix').

In the Setup it is allowed the internet connection, and in the Settings, Port: COM4, Port speed: Default, Track Speed: 1, Proxy field is blank (I don't have a proxy). The detection of sattelites is Ok.

I don't know if it is because my internet access is by my simcard at the Globetrotter modem (same source of the GPS) or something else...

:smileysad: 

Please use plain text.
Sage

Ok. First off, the Connection means you either have a Fix or No Fix. If No Fix, then you do not have enough satellites or strong enough signal to get a proper fix of your location.  If you have Fix then all is OK.

The Internet Box is only to show when you are using your Internet connection to download the map tiles - don't worry if it says Error, it is not affecting your GPS. Select Display, then Untick Monitors Mode.  You should now see a map..do you?  Make sure the Garmin Maps is off, Go to Maps, Garmin Maps, and untick Show Garmin Maps. Then if you left mouse click and drag across the screen, new map tiles will appear as you move around. 

Under Display, View, tick the Follow Cursor, and it will now track your position as you move around and leave a purple track showing your movements. You can zoom in and zoom out, and it will download updated maps.  Once downloaded, they will be saved permanently and then no Internet connection required for this area.

Make sure you have a good view of the sky and satellites, if you are indoors then GPS doesn't work great, and you will probably bounce in and out of Fix and No Fix..this is normal for GPS.

Try the other Raster map types, Live.com satellite map is as good as Google Earth in some locations, and no probs downloading maps

But, bear in mind...this software is not for Turn by Turn Car navigation.  It is great for boat Navigation, or Walking/Hiking, since you can set up  Waypoints, and then Navigate directly there, showing your Course, and the Heading you should follow (Azimuth), remaining Distance etc.....but it is STRAIGHT LINE navigation.

Please use plain text.
Sage
myroslav

What a great tutorial! Thanks nokkika! Jing anybody?
Nokia Booklet 3G upgraded with Intel x18-m SSD and Fedora 13 (Linux) as main OS
Please use plain text.
Sage

No probs, it's all about sharing......

Got another neat little GPS prog you might want to have a look at call GOOPS.  They have a basic free version which works really well.  Go here:

http://goopstechnologies.com/

Just set it up with COM4 as usual, and it automatically connects on startup, loads Google Earth and tracks your position live as you move around.  Sadly you can't alter the zoom, tilt, direction etc.. without buying the full version, but not expensive....really neat to watch when driving around town.  Who needs the "Google Nexus One"!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

No way, dude.. I did everything but wasn't able to load the maps. I just can track my position and route, but in a blank screen.

Maybe there is no maps available to my region.

Anyway, I've installed a Garmin map and it's doing pretty good.

Thanks Nokkika for the tutorial and patiance!

Please use plain text.
Sage
myroslav

I've had the same blank screen in gpsVP, until I set up cache folder for raster maps.

Maps -> Raster maps -> Set raster cache folder

And point it to some place on HDD you intend to have gpsVP store map tiles. You can have that cache on SDHC card to free HDD.

Please use plain text.
Sage
myroslav

[ Edited ]

I'm trying to have my A-GPS to work. As far as I understood following prerequisites should be met:

1. 3G radio should be enabled (Fn+F10, 3G)
  2. SIM card should be PIN-Unlocked
  3. GSM provider connection should be enabled (Connected)
Please correct if I'm wrong here. Even having all the above in-place. I see no difference in regular GPS and A-GPS fix durations.

I've tried following SUPL servers:
  1. supl.nokia.com
  2. supl.google.com
Can someone in plain English answer following questions:
  1. Is Internet connection to SUPL server essential?
  2. What SUPL servers work better where and why (for instance in East Europe)?
  3. Is there any directory of SUPL servers?
  4. Should there be "http://" prefix in _OGPSLS command?
I'm wondering why there is no dedicated GPS button in Fn+F10 hotkey app. It would be great to have GPS state persisted after dropping into Sleep/Hibernate mode, and be able to activate GPS with native Nokia software, not misc COM port hacks. 

Message Edited by myroslav on 22-Jan-2010 10:57 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
andizottmann

I've implemented the full solution for using your Booklets' GPS device here: BookletGPS Tracker

It's freeware (Creative-Commons license) and written for my own belongings. Works together with Google Earth, produces NMEA output and is able to send geo-located tweets with twitter.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
ka81_ua

Can you please tell me:

is it possible to run iGO or any other navi-soft on that Booklet 3G???

pan Oleksiy
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
play2win

microsoft streets and trips works on netbook

get putty, it's free!

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

you can even get putty as a portableapp

www.portableapps.com

I told putty to open terminal session on com port 5

function 10 on nokia booklet, make sure gps is on

in putty window type      AT_OGPS=2

start microsoft streets, scan ports, gps show on com 4, select com 4.

make sure you are outside, and IT WORKS !!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Sage
myroslav

I used to run iGO8 PC successfully in a car. You need to have booklet mounted close to windscreen of the car, as roof is screening satelites. And screen should be vertical (lid not closed) for better signal strength as GPS antennas are on the letf and right sides of the screen.

However be careful with iGO8 when travelling abroad. 2010 maps have a lot of bugs and you  should watch where it navigates you to. I had Lviv-Sozopol-Lviv trip last summer and iGO8 on booklet helped greatly, but had to be monitored for correctness of route.

The only thing I was missing is touchscreen as big iGO8 on-screen controls are hard to control with touchpad while driving :smileywink: you better have navigator on the front seat assisting you in controlling iGO8.

Additionally speakers of Booklet are too quiet to be usable for voice navigation. I used Jabra Cruiser SP710 Bluetooth Speakerphone as perfect booklet companion, you can use its FM transmitter in the case you prefer your car stereo.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
booklet3g

Hi to all of u 

If u like to use the option of the gps w/o use 3g network 

Its simple all what u need is 

1 teratem to enable in port 5 the gps cmd 

2  IGO8 8.3.1.59883 PC Nav N Go

u can just download the softwere and edit u map w u are the u good to go

I will bring a link to download the software l8r