Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

CR200 broken plastic guide.

ArmandsFM

CR200 broken plastic guide.

After using CR 200 for 2 weeks plastic guide inside broke in 3 pieces. Obviously because of design it could not handle the pressure that was applied every time when side holders were pushed togather to fix the phone. Plastic was too thin to handle it. Because device is not cheap and obviously nobody at Nokia authorised service was able to privde this small part, had to re-make it in metal. First, gluing togather broken plastic part, then making imprint of part and casting it in metal. In attached picture you can see the result. However, it would be nice if spareparts for CR200 would be available, but ideally design changed and part originally made from stronger plastic or metal. I believe that number of people will expreience same problem and therefore it would be nice to see what is adviced solution for this. 

Please use plain text.
ArmandsFM

Re: CR200 broken plastic guide.

Installation process of new cast metal guide in attached picture. After assambley CR 200 worked perfectly. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lowrider2107

What an excellent work, I wish I had the same possibility to come up with a metal part.

It's now my second holder with this part broken ...

My ticket remains open with Nokia, eager to see, if and how they respond.

Greetings, Lowrider

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lowrider2107

May I ask - would you be able to repeat that and sell one of those to me?

I currently see no other way of getting a hold of a durable replacement part...

Thank you for considering!

Lowrider

Please use plain text.
ade333

I'd buy one of these too

ArmandsFM wrote:

Installation process of new cast metal guide in attached picture. After assambley CR 200 worked perfectly. 

Please use plain text.
HerkyJerky

I would also buy one (if Nokia won't support it).  mine did split into 3 pieces as well and I don't have faith the the glue job will do the trick.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bsd107

My CR-200 guide also broke after only two weeks of use.

This is a terrible design.  By comparison, I have been using my CR-123 for a year now with no problems.

Will Nokia support and repair the CR-200?  This item is far too expensive to have break after only two weeks of use....

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
bsd107

Would you be willing to make a few more of these and sell them?
Please use plain text.
yoyoman

Hi ArmandsFM, please consider making more of your excelent replacement part (metal) I would also buy one!

Please use plain text.
Advisor
codekaizen

@ArmandsFM - or, if it is too much trouble to produce these, could you be persuaded to provide the SolidWorks file for us to replicate on our own?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
codekaizen

[ Edited ]

Oops, I didn't read carefully. ArmandsFM said that he made a cast, not a model. Ok, then, I'm in the process of getting someone to help render this in Solidworks so I can get it printed on Shapeways. In the meantime, here is my version of the broken part as well as the dimensions I got for the modeler with my digital calipers.

Please use plain text.
yoyoman

Anyone found where one can order the replacement part yet?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
codekaizen

Ok, I got the part modeled and up on Shapeways.

http://shpws.me/pSFM

Note that I just ordered my part so I can't say anything about if it will 100% work. I made it available as stainless steel only. I'm not sure how this will look, and guess that at least the cam posts will need some sanding/polishing for smooth operation. However, it was the least expensive of the strongest options for material. On the Shapeways page on Steel you can see how the printed product looks.

When my part comes in in about 3 weeks I'll post a picture of it and share if it worked as a replacement or if the model needs to be tweaked. If you want to be more sure before trying it yourself, you can wait for this next update. For the risk-tolerant feel free to order and share your experience with how it went.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lowrider2107

Thanks for sharing your solution! If that works out I'll give you a high five!

And yes, I'm risk free and ordered on the spot :smileyhappy:

For the time being I had helped myself reinforcing the part. Tried to figure out something durable enough yet as slim as possible to ensure that it still fits. I used an aluminium sheet cut from a soda can using standard power glue. Let's see.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
mtcs

Mine broke yesterday, in 3 pieces just as others have described, so I've ordered one of these too.
Many many thanks for doing this!

Now that I've got into the CR200 I plan to mount it on my old Brodit proclip somehow as I found the the CR200 would wobble quite a bit. The proclip should be much sturdier.
Please use plain text.
yoyoman

I wish I could afford to buy this, but the shipping is more than double the price of the cam to South Africa. I'll have to try and make another plan.

Please use plain text.
Real_Robertson

Thanks for making that up, I've just odered one too, just finished repairing mine for the 3rd time now!!

has anyone else had problems with the arms going out after reassembling? I feel like I have to have it quite loose to get them to work

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Lowrider2107

Yes, I figured that you'd have to wind up the spring mechanism almost to the max before attaching the arms.

Then the arms release better.

Please use plain text.
Real_Robertson

I'll try that whe I get my metal piece, as it's broken again I'm not going to bother trying, it's more glue than plastic now

Please use plain text.
Advisor
codekaizen

I got the part from Shapeways today. It is very nice and solid. It appears to work well though there is some filing needed with this version (the central hole is just slightly [~0.05mm] too small, mostly from the rough surface). I'll post photos and the fitting and reassembly instructions soon.

Please use plain text.