Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Can I use GPS without have 3G data plan?

Advisor
Accepted Solution

Can I use GPS without have 3G data plan?

Hello,

I bought Nokia Booklet 3G without the AT&T contact which means I do not have the 3G connection.

Can I still use the GPS function with 3rd party gps software, ex: Garmin Mobile PC?

Thank you,

Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: Can I use GPS without have 3G data plan?

Hi,

Yes, you can still use GPS. Just need to have 3G module enabled/on in device (as 3G and GPS are on same module).

So, press fn+F10 to check that 3G is enabled there and GPS should also work. You can test this with Ovi Maps gadget on your device - if GPS is working, you should see your location in Widget. 

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I tried, but it does not work.

Maybe I did something worng.

First ,

I enabled the 3g module without puting any sim card (using fn+F10.)

Then I was trying to use Ovi map gadget. It can not locate me.

Then I tried using garmin mobile pc and using com port 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. none of these port has the valid gps data.

Second, 

So I put my 3g AT&T sim card into the slot (I do not have 3g data plan)

And did the same thing, I still could not find GPS device.

Can someone help? or I have to have 3g data plan to use it.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Sage

Yewaiyin, that's weird ... I do not have SIM card inserted in my Booklet and still can see my location in Maps widget (though, when tried first time it took quite long before location was established - some 15 to 20 minutes).

As understood, you only need 3G connection enabled (or to have data plan as you mentioned) to be able to use A-GPS.

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Sage
myroslav

If you are trying GPS without Assisted GPS (that is probably when SIM card is in slot), be sure to have good sky visibility. I.e. open air, with no highscrapers surrounding you, for GPS module to locate satelites easily. Indoors, locating them takes much more time due to weaker signal.

On the other hand try suggestions (technical ones, like operating GPS module from serial terminal) from the "Booklet 3g GPS/a-GPS usage" thread.

Nokia Booklet 3G upgraded with Intel x18-m SSD and Fedora 13 (Linux) as main OS
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

rycheman wrote:

Yewaiyin, that's weird ... I do not have SIM card inserted in my Booklet and still can see my location in Maps widget (though, when tried first time it took quite long before location was established - some 15 to 20 minutes).

As understood, you only need 3G connection enabled (or to have data plan as you mentioned) to be able to use A-GPS.

Cheers.

i have only been able to get the gps to work when i was online with either the cellular network or wifi.  i have not tried to tether to see if it would work yet though!  that may be an idea worth trying if you are using your cell phone with it.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hey!!

I've tested the internal gps now in combination with Garmin Mobile PC Navigation Software.

For 1st, you DON'T have to activate 3G!! (mine was spent through FN+F10)

In the Garmin settings i selected COM4 as the GPS data source

Then i activated the GPS with the Tera Term client and the command AT_OGPS=2 (at COM5)

As soon as the command was OK, in the Garmin software, the satellite who shows the connection quality went from a ? to a 5 bars signal strength display, what meant to me, that now gps data is comin in to the software! Great!

A couple of minutes later i had a signal strength by 3 of 5 (at this time i was in a bus riding from las vegas to los angeles on 75 m/h) and the navigation software began working :smileyhappy:

Now im in a room in LA and have a signal strenght by 5 of 5 and the advanced gps info shows me about 12 connected satellites. 

The internal GPS works great without any data connection!

Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]

A screenshot:

Message Edited by RanC1d on 14-Dec-2009 08:16 AM
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Thank you very much.

The AT_OGPS=2 did the magic for me. Then I run some tests and I can get a GPS signal without 3G as you mention.

Now I'm planning to do a small application that activate and deactivate the GPS and I'm trying to find information about using the AT commands to get a position using A-GPS. The information in Nokia and even in the Option (GPS maker) website is minimun but I will try to do my best.

Again, thank you for the info man.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Already setup Shortcuts for this using TeraTerm - it has a built in Macro Function.

Easiest way to do this and to incorporate A-GPS function also, is open a new Notepad file,  then paste this script into it:

; Nokia Booklet GPS On macro for Tera Term
;  COM Port and AT Command

; open Tera Term
;   command line = 'TERATERM /C=5' (COM5 port)
connect '/C=5'

sendln 'AT_OGPSP=7,2'
wait 'OK'

sendln 'AT_OGPSCONT=1,"IP","internet"'
wait 'OK'

sendln 'AT_OGPSLS=1, "http://supl.nokia.com"'
wait 'OK'

; Turn on GPS (see the manual for your modem)
sendln  'AT_OGPS=2'
wait 'OK'

closett

Then save it, call it whatever you want as long as it has a .ttl extension, I called mine GPS_On.ttl.

The only thing you will need to change is your Mobile Service Providers APN, which in my case is "internet" since I am with Vodafone UK. If you don't want A-GPS, just use this:

; Nokia Booklet GPS On macro for Tera Term

; open Tera Term
connect '/C=5'

sendln  'AT_OGPS=2'
wait 'OK'

closett

I also made a seperate file to turn it off, I called it GPS_Off.ttl.  Same procedure, just add this script:

; Nokia Booklet GPS Off macro for Tera Term

; open Tera Term
connect '/C=5'

sendln  'AT_OGPS=0'
wait 'OK'

closett

Just make sure that you save the files as .ttl, which can be tricky with Notepad, since it defaults to saving it as a .txt file.  Easiest way to do this is to save the file with inverted commas, i.e. "GPS_On.ttl" and "GPS_Off.ttl"

Now I have Shortcuts to both files on my dektop, so easy to turn on GPS with one click, and turn it off with another.  Hope this helps and not too complicated - and agree that Nokia boys should add it to Fn-F10 list with Bluetooth,3G and Wireless - would be so easy for them to code.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

My the APN case is movistar.es.

Thank you for the info. The scripts works great.

Another question, if you don't mind. How can I check that the A-GPS is really working? Do you notice it in the Garmin program? For testing propouses I'm using VisualGPS but seems like this program don't use the information of A-GPS.

Please use plain text.
Sage

To be honest with you, it is very difficult to tell...my understanding of the point of A-GPS is to use the mobile networks location in order to speed up the time till a first fix from the GPS.  I have noticed that when I use the A-GPS macro, the speed till first fix improves dramatically, less than 10 seconds, whereas without it can take 5 minutes or more.  Once the GPS finds a fix, I think the A-GPS has no more use. Either way, none of this stuff is clear at all...the program I use for checking the satellites and fix easily is called GPSVP(works really well also on a Windows Mobile phone - it even caches raster map tiles locally)...you can get it here:

http://code.google.com/p/gpsvp/downloads/list

Once you have installed it, go to SetUp, Settings and change to COM 4

Then go to Display, and click on Monitors Mode, you will then see all the Satellite data, Number of Sats, Lat, Long, Alt, GPS time, GPS Data etc....and really small memory footprint.

After you sorted that, go to Maps, Raster Maps, and you can download map tiles for later use at different Zoom levels.  Nice if you going on a trip and don't want to use up mobile data downloading the maps.  I will warn you that Google Satellite maps doesn't work too well cos I think Google keeps changing, or blocking the servers to prevent this.  Anyway, give it a go.

Please use plain text.
Sage

Hi tejeor1967, I see you are using movistar spain as your provider.  Is that a contract or Pre-pay?

I'm interested cos I live in the UK and spend a lot of time in Spain, which is why I bought the booklet, so that I can swap out my SIM with a Spanish Pre-pay when I am visiting Spain.  Till now I have always used the Vodafone ES Pre-pay, as they have a package where you can buy a bundle of data on Pre-pay - I can get 1 month unlimited on pre-pay for EUR 60 (although I think they reduce your speed after 1 gig) by topping up my SIM and then texting C MES to phone number 2207. APN is ac.vodafone.es

Do you know if there are any cheaper or better pre-pay plans on movistar or other networks in Spain? Sadly, a contract is not an option being non-resident etc etc..

Please use plain text.
Contributor

As far as I know there is no data plans for pre-paid in Movistar. I'm quite sure. What people does in Spain is getting Simyo (they have data bonus for pre-paid cards) for those. Vodafone is bit more expensive but the quality of the services are much better.

In your case I would stay with Vodafone.

Please use plain text.

Sorry, I'm a novice at this.  I downloaded Tera Term, but when I go to use it and select com5 (or any other) it says the com port is disconnected now.  The first time I tried (before i got this warning) it would put me at the Tera Term VT but wouldnt let me type the command in.  I am SOOOOO FRUSTRATED.  is there any way to do this from the cmd promp through windows 7?

Please use plain text.

I'm just trying to use the GPS with Google Earth or any other ARC GIS Map software.  Any suggestions out there?????
Please use plain text.
Contributor

TeraByte or any other program won't allow you to access port COM5 if the GPS widget in Windows7 is started. Remove that widget from the desktop and COM5 will be available.

Related to the other post about how to use the GPS with Google Earth... basically follows the nokkika instructions some messages before... that's what I did and now I'm using the internal GPS without any problem. 

Please use plain text.

Hi all.

Im really confused about this.................

I bought this booklet without a contract. I want to use the "built in GPS receiver" with microsoft streets and trips with turn by turn directions.

Can I do this without 3g?

And please if anybody could walk me through the steps.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Well, I bravely tried this today.  Got Teraterm installed.  Got the macros on the desktop.  Setup Windows 7 association of ttl to Teraterm.

But when I run the macro to turn on the GPS, I get "Invalid Host" and then, since the macro has closett at the end, it closes Teraterm.

Help!

Please use plain text.

I used this command

(AT_OGPS=2) - This turns the GPS on

And it worked pretty well!

good luck!

Please use plain text.