Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Charging battery for the first time

Counsellor

Charging battery for the first time

[ Edited ]
Do you still have to charge Li-ION batteries longer for the first time or is it all a myth? I know NiCd had to be charged longer to expand their cells but they didn't have "memory" which isn't the issue with Li-Ion batteries as far as I recall.

So is there a way to get some official statement from Nokia about this? I didn't find anything about this in the manual either.

Is there any official manual on how to exploit the battery?

Message Edited by ixmx on 12-Oct-2008 05:00 PM
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Re: Charging battery for the first time

Hi ixmx

Newer phones decide when they have had enough charging anyway. Is is probably of more benefit after first charge to discharge to low battery warning, then fully charge and repeat this cycle in the first few days of ownership if possible to get the most out of it in the future. At the end of the day there is a finite number of times that it can be re-charged.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Counsellor

Re: Charging battery for the first time

I actually found an interesting response here:
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7590_102-0.html?forumID=67&threadID=115543&messageID=1312695

"I worked for a cell phone company for 8 years and did a lot of research on this subject so I could properly inform my customers. There are basically 3 types of chemicals currently being used for cell phone and laptop batteries. Ni-cad, Ni-mh and Li-ion. There is a fourth makineg its way in Li-ion polymer. A couple things are consistent for all types of batteries no matter what chemical is inside. You must initially give the battery a 12-14 hour charge on the home charger. (Don't use a cigarette adapter for the first charge. This conditions the battery and don't take it off the charger that first time even if the charging indicator says it's full after 3 hours. Also the manufacturer's also state to run it thru 3 charge cycles. What that mean's is that you fully charge and fully drain 3 times. 1 full charge + 1 full drain = 1 charge cycle. Here's where the way you charge the battery starts to differ.

Ni-cad: Mostly only on older devices, has a "memory" effect, should be drained before a full charge is put on it, should be removed after overnight charge or can be overcharged and burnt out.

Ni-mh: Still used for some devices, has slight memory effect but not enough to have to fully drain before the recharge, should not be consistently left on charger after full charge that can eventually burn out battery and shorten usage time.

Li-ion and Li-ion polymer: Used on a lot of newer devices, has no "memory" effect, should be recharged as often as possible, actually likes to be charged and draining it regularly can cause the usage time to be shortened, can NEVER be overcharged so whenever you're near a charger put it on there. Besides those benefits a li-ion battery is lighter and smaller but the chemical can hold more charge than Ni-cad and Ni-mh."