Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

How long should I charge a new battery

Advisor
rameshi
Accepted Solution

How long should I charge a new battery

I bought a new battery (BP-4L) for my E63 handset from a Nokia Care outlet yesterday. The technician said I should switch off the phone and charge it for 3 hours on first recharge. I read in this and other online forums that Li-ion batteries don't have "memory effect" and don't require "conditioning" like earlier NiCd or NiMH batteries required. I also read that once the battery is fully charged it doesn't make any difference keeping the charger on and connected to the phone, which means charging it for over 1.5-2 hrs serves no purpose.

Would like to know from experienced and knowledgeable folks whether above is true, and how I can get the best out of the new battery. Thanx.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
haZey

Re: How long should I charge a new battery

Hi rameshi,

Welcome to to the Nokia discussion boards!

I suggest you to charge your device for the recommended first charge time just so you know it is fully charged. 2 Hours is sufficient charging time for this.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

haZey

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rameshi

Hi @haZey

Thanks for your advise. I would be comfortable charging my new battery in E63 till I get the "Battery full" message as usual. When my phone was new, it used to take about 1.5 - 2 hours to charge fully. Guess, it would take the same time for the new battery now.

Regards,

Ramesh

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
haZey

Hi rameshi,

You're very welcome, and do treat your new battery as you would a new phone and having the battery fuly charged on first use will make sure it is used to it's full capacity.

Hope you enjoy your phone and your questions are all answered. Feel free to post in the relevant boards if you have any further questions.

Regards,

haZey

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
rameshi

Hi @haZey,

While many in the forum have suggested that once the new battery (on first recharge) is fully charged (as indicated on the phone), there is no point in keeping it charged for 3-4 hrs in all. Had put my new battery to charge this morning at 1115 Hrs and it showed the full charge indication on phone by 1300 Hrs. Noticed that the back-cover enclosing the battery has become quite hot. Should I stop charging to prevent any damage to battery &/ handset ? Sadly, the battery is new but the handset is not, hence all the more worried.

Regards,

Ramesh

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
SITI87hajar

It is normal if your battery gets a little warm during the charging process. Don't worry. :smileyhappy:

Nokia 3310, 8250, 6070, 6060, 3120, 1110, 1280, 5300 XpressMusic, N76, 6120 classic, 5800 XpressMusic, 5530 XpressMusic, N900, C3-00, N8-00, N9, 700, X2-01, Asha 302, Lumia 610, Lumia 920, Asha 501, Lumia 820 and Lumia 1520... :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.