Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: More memory on the Booklet

Contributor
__nick__
Accepted Solution

More memory on the Booklet

Nokia, please release some procedure to upgrade the memory of the booklet!

Please use plain text.
Employee
milesr

The memory on the Booklet is soldered to the motherboard, so it is not possible to replace the memory with higher capacity chips. The best way to benefit from additional memory is to use ReadyBoost to store your Windows 7 pagefile, which definitely increases performance and reduces slow swapping on the hard drive. Hope this helps! - Miles.

--
I work for Nokia, but all opinions posted here are my own. I'm not providing official support, just trying to help out where I can.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Readyboost made a massive difference for me. I'm using all of a 4GB (class 4) card just for that purpose.

Since doing that the booklet has been outperforming my other similar spec'd netbooks.

Another big improvement is to ditch internet explorer and use google chrome, it flies on the booklet!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Nazalur

...Generally memory chips can be vapor soldered out from the motherboard and exchanged to a greater capacity ones, but it is a too risky hardware servicing work and no one knows it will help - it should be dealing with memory addressing and motherboard chip level support.
It not worth of thinkin' about it, I guess :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Chseifert

[ Edited ]

I agree, using a  4 GB SDHC card made it perform much faster.

But would it be even faster if I bought a 8 or 16 GB SDHC card for Ready Boost alone files ??

Also must agree that Google Chrome is much faster on the Booklet that IE explorer.....

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

i used a 16gb class 10 and it did make a difference, then i swapped out my HDD for a SSD and that was even better.  So much better in fact, that if you try to use ready boost, it simply states that you cannot use it as it will not make the device any faster.

the upgrade to the SSD was well worth the investment.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
innovator

Can you give specs for the SSD drive and any instructions?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
stevenbarrett

I added a 4GB SD card and use this for boot up which makes it very fast - still cannot find any drivers for the 3G though and reduced to using external dongle until I can sell the machine via EBay and buy something thats works !

Please use plain text.
wiciq

Hello.
How about internet (firefox or chrome) and other RAM-eating applications?
SDcard reader wont help a lot if there is only 1GB of ram.
I ment... that ReadyBoost is via SDCard reader which is probably connected to the same port as USB, so we have like 480 Mbit/s  --> (60 MB/s).  Fast SDcards can reach even 90MB/s but we have bottleneck in USB 2.0. Mentioning that typical ram capacity is counted in Gbits/s (excample 1 Gbit is equal to 125 megabytes). So it will speed up but it will be rather slow :smileysad:
I have heard that even hard drive upgrade (to the SSD drive) cuts whole warranty :/

Is there no any option to upgrade (like in nokia service) without losing the warranty?

Please use plain text.
wiciq

Someone please tellme if it really plays HD videos (without cuts and jups on the creen). And how real work looks like. Well I am not typical 'web surving' user. Rather programing, databases (but as a projectant not a user) so software would eat like 1GB of ram without system so i wonder if I get an heart attack with working on it or no :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
poiuytre111

Yup, only just bought my booklet but I have stripped W7 back and followed my tried and tested route to 720p (as used on acer aspire one) and it produced the same result. 720p is probably not perfect but it is entirely usable, IMHO
Please use plain text.
poiuytre111

For 720p, ...Things You Will Need
CoreAVC codec  You can download a 30-Day trial version here, or purchase it for 8 dollars.
AC3Filter
Media Player Classic: Home Cinema Edition (the home cinema edition adds the feature to remove tearing issues with VGA output)
Combined Community Codec Pack  (For all other movie formats)

Step 1 Install CoreAVC codec and AC3 Filter (optionally the combined community codec pack).  Extract mplayerc.exe from the Media Player Classic: Home Cinema Edition.
Step 2 Start > Programs > CoreCodec > Configure CoreAVC
Step 3 Deblocking - Select Skip Always
Step 4 Check Preferred Decoder, click OK.
Step 5 Start > Programs > AC3Filter > AC3Filter Config
Step 6 Output Format > Select either 2/0 Stereo or Dolby ProLogic II depending on your stereo config.  (The soundcard can't do dolby digital, you would need to buy an external soundcard for that)  Click OK.
Step 7 Launch mplayerc.exe
Step 8 View > Options > External Filters > Add Filter... Select CoreAVC Video Decoder and click OK.  Now select it in the list of External Filters and make sure that "Prefer" is selected.
Step 9 Playback > Output Select VMR9 (renderless) ** and make sure Direct3D Fullscreen (remove tearing) is selected.  Click OK.

With this setup, it is possible to connect to an LCD TV with a resolution of 1900x1080 and play 720p movies with no skipping.
Tips & Warnings

Note that because we are using Direct3D to render the display to stop tearing, we lose any context menus when playing a video, so you have to learn to use the keyboard to navigate through a movie.  Ctrl+C closes the movie file
so you can get back to the menus.  One option in particular that helps is View > Options Miscellaneous > Remember File position so I don't have to navigate through movies so often.

Also, you may want to turn off subtitles, Start > Programs Combined Community Codec Pack > Filters > VSFilter Configuration > General > Loading > Do not load > OK.
Tags: MKV; 720P; X264; H264; EEE; 

Can't recall where this came from so can't credit the author ...but it wasnt me.

Please use plain text.