Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Wireless Charger (NFC), no weather info ...

Advisor
Kapteeni

Nokia Wireless Charger (NFC), no weather info showing on sleeping screen

Hello,

I have problem (and also other people in wpcentral forum) with wireless charging (with NFC) stand. If you activate "show weather and calendar" app for NFC to open, you should see a big clock, next calendar appointment and weather info on your night screen. Problem is that it doesn't show weather info?

Could anyone say what is the problem. What I have read, people in US have no problems, but peope outside US do (but not all). I am from Finland if it matters.

All setups are ok and I have tried three different weather apps also. Nothing works.

Any solutions what to do

Jouni

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Bommi

Re: Nokia Wireless Charger (NFC), no weather info showing on sleeping screen

Does the app show local weather info at any time? Could it simply not have support for Finnish meteorological data?

Is it possible that your phone is in airplane mode or data transfer is blocked in some other way? 

Do other weather apps work properly, such as Foreca?

I don't have a wireless station myself, so I can't run any tests on this.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kapteeni

Every weather app works in normal mode. But using this stand, it doesn't show weather. I tried to put "my location" and also I put my town, but neither works. Phone is not offline and I have checked every aspect possible.

I have also wondered what is "weather and calendar" app. It is not regular app as it is not shown in app list. So how that app knows what weather app to use?

And as I said, all people from US have no problems, only people outside US (but not all).

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
adrianhughes

may seem like a bit of a silly question, but have you checked that you have the latest version of the Accessories Nokia system app installed from the Store? the latest version was pushed to users a few days ago.....

you may also try performing a soft reset to see if that does the trick, by pressing the volume down and power buttons together until the phone vibrates.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kapteeni

Did do soft reset, nothing.

I don't know about the latest update, as I took my phone for repair week ago as it was rebooting (five or so times per day). But about two weeks ago I got all updates with QR-codes from this site so it was up-to-date back then.

I should get my phone back within week or two so and then it should have all the latest updates. I'll try then and see what happens.

Thanks for tips.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kapteeni

If anyone knows, where this "calendar and weather" app takes the weather information, I would appreciate the info. Just nice to know information you know.

And also, if someone could explain what is the "calendar and weather" app, because it is not shown in app list? How can there be an application that is not shown in app list?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
James_T

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem (Lumia 920, DT-910 charging stand, location Germany). I have all updates installed, also for the "Accessories", otherwise there wouldn't be any "Weather and calendar" app selectable, as far as I know.

For me, only the clock is visible. Calendar events most likely as well, so far I don't have any in the calendar so there is nothing to show. But NO weather which would be really cool! So how to get the weather on screen? Changing from automatic location search to putting in my city in the stand settings doesn't change the problem. The city is there, just no weather information on screen. What a pity.

Any ideas?

By the way, I read that it is completely normal to not have the "weather and calendar" app in the app list. It is a special feature for the DT-910 stand so it is only visible in the stand settings.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kapteeni

One answer to this could be that you need to have Portico update on your phone before it works. That could explain why US people are seeing the weather.

So when someone is getting portico, please test it.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
James_T

Good point. I read about Portico rolling out in February for non-US countries. So hopefully we know more soon.
Please use plain text.
hertzi

the problem is the regional format - if you set it (in region language) to US or UK (others may work too) it will show the weather.

My phone was set to German and it didn't show the weather info - with regional settings US it works.

It could be the decimal point vs decimal comma in the gps coordinates or the different date format (both reasons I have seen in apps for WP7)

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
James_T

If so (I didn't test it) it needs to be fixed by Nokia.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kapteeni

I received my phone from repair (and already once this **bleep** rebooted itself, I am starting to get really **bleep** because of this).

But anyhow, this has now portico installed and still no weather.

Is there anyway that someone from Nokia could comment on this problem. Frustrating just write here without any possibilities to get the answer what is wrong? All "contact us" links lead to this forum?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
James_T

[ Edited ]

@Kapteeni:

As you can see two posts above yours it already seems we have the answer (post from hertzi).

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kapteeni

Ah, ok. So you tested also that and it worked?

Is there any downsizes changing the region?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
James_T

I didn't test it so far. I don't know exactly whether you have to change "region" or "region format", I guess the latter. This would change the representation of date and time, your currency and so on. For me this is a con, especially since the weather display would be nice but is not essential. So I'd prefer to wait for an update for the application from Nokia.

Please use plain text.
Sage
sealionact

Should it work using the fatboy cushion as well? I have the latest accesories update, and regional settings are UK. No clock, weather or options of any kind when charging.
Anyone confirm it works before the Portico update?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
James_T

No, the Fatboy charger does not start any special display function on the phone. As far as I know only the charging stand does.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
James_T

Two days ago I received the Portico update on my (German) Lumia 920. And now - tadaa - weather shows up when using the charging stand! Hope it stays this way. (Last week I had the weather on display once without changing anything and before the Portico update... than it disappeared again. So let's hope it is finally fixed now.)

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Kapteeni

Hello,

Yesterday I got my phone back from service (whole month without my precious and using that time Nokia 500, horrible I would say). This time they sent me brand new phone. Software and setupwise everything is same as the phone before, latest portico and everything, region finland etc... BUT now I have weather showing on my stand?

I am of  course pleased, but question rises that how is this possible?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
aliasname

Well, to lower the enthusiasm about 'hertzi' 's idea on how to get this solved. It didn't work on my end.

And I got 3 Lumia 820 phones here, where 2 of them have no problem receiving the weather & calender from the one and only DT-910 whereas the third Lumia completely refuses it.

And I tried a lot by now, from multiple resets upto compelte restoring it from another one so it's sort of a 1:1 copy of one of the other phones. No way.

The strategy to not offer such an app through the ordinary store so that one could simply choose it from the list of installed apps is a major drawback, and leads to an issue with a Nokia device which simply mustn't be an issue at all. Funny strategy to create issues without any need, wonder if that works for the long term.

Please use plain text.