Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Open or dissect the Booklet 3G ??

Counsellor

??? - I don't think the SpinPoint is much faster than the Toshiba HDD ...
Please use plain text.
Sage
myroslav

I'm going to try out Intel X18M 80Gb (as only this smaller ones fit), but that won't happen before Xmas :smileysad: as I have my Booklet still in Backordered state on BestBuy for 3 weeks already.
Nokia Booklet 3G upgraded with Intel x18-m SSD and Fedora 13 (Linux) as main OS
Please use plain text.
Advisor

[ Edited ]
Depends on which drive...  I would assume that the increase in rotational speed and twice the buffer would result in a noticeable difference.  Though, I haven't' done any benchmarks or comparisons to back this.  I will most likely wait for the new Toshiba drive (MK3233GSG) for what I hope is a direct drop in.
Message Edited by selleugraj on 08-Dec-2009 11:15 PM
Please use plain text.
Advisor

myroslav, do mean that the X18M 160 Gb would not fit or that the 2.5" drive would not fit?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I think that myroslav is looking for the cheaper 50 nm-series of X18-M. There, the 160 GB drive is 9 mm high. 

When you're going for the more expansive (and slightly faster) 34 nm-series, the 160 GB drive has the same hight as the 80 GB, both 5 mm. 

And selleugraj: I really don't think it is worth all the trouble to put in just some other 1,8" HDD. :smileywink: 

Please use plain text.
Sage
myroslav

[ Edited ]

One of the requirements is form factor:

• 2.5" drive won't fit
  • only 1.8" drive fits

The other requirement is drive height, 5mm. Intel SSD drives that suit are:

• Intel X18-M 80Gb 1st Generation 50nm (SSDSA1MH080G1)
  • Intel X18-M 80Gb 2nd generation 35nm (SSDSA1MH080G2)
  • Intel X18-M 160Gb 2nd Generation 35nm (SSDSA1MH160G2)

Note: these are all assumptions, based on public specifications available on the Internet. I'll be able to confirm that only after real-world experience.

Message Edited by myroslav on 09-Dec-2009 01:31 PM
Nokia Booklet 3G upgraded with Intel x18-m SSD and Fedora 13 (Linux) as main OS
Please use plain text.
Advisor

clichtenberg, I understand your point of view and I get the height difference between drives.  What I was trying to explain are other options available.  For the price of an 80 Gb SSD drive there are other alternatives to increase speed w/o having to spend soo much.  A 5400 RPM drive is one such option.  I'm considering both, yet I haven't opened my Boooklet to compare height differences.  clichtenberg, is there no room for an 8mm drive height, even with the foam removed?  Also, the instructions you have for disassembling the Booklet to access the Motherboard and components does not seem like much trouble at all, especially with Acronis TI 2010.

myroslav, Thanks for the explanation!  I didn't do enough research on the Intel SSD's to realize the different generations.  I'm now considering the 2nd Gen. Intel X-18M 160 Gb since I learned that the new Toshiba MK3233GSG and all other 5400 RPM Toshiba Drives have a height of 8mm.  The Samsung Spinpoint I noted earlier will fit since the height of the drive is 5mm.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I'll be watching this thread. I am very interested in doing similarly with my Booklet.

Steve

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Okay - I was hoping to test the SSD today, but ... the one I bought on eBay seems to be a special version for Lenovo which isn't 5 mm but higher. For that, it doesn't fit in. :-(

So for now, I posted some more pics (see my link before). If I've got time this weekend, I will add some text ... 

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I'd like to change the hdd to an ssd too.

Can someone suggest me the best way to get an 1,8" intel ssd in los angeles?

i stay here till friday. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

@ clichtenberg - You're great.  Thanks for the dissection, and proving that **of course** the drive isn't soldered down.  I'm glad the kudo's grubbing/hyberbole prone ceroberts75 isn't participating anymore.  I'm anxious to hear about the x18-m.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Thanks! ;-)

I hope I'll get my X18-M today. There seem to be delivery problems with the new Samsung drive, so I went for the Intel as well. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Okay - me again. Like every of the last weekends, I played with my Booklet a bit. My Intel X18-M (80 GB, 50 nm, black case) arrived and I put it in the Booklet instead of the Toshiba HDD, which was not a problem on the hardware-side. I added 4 or 5 new pictures to MobileMe-Account, just to illustrade.

But be careful! Before removing the HDD, I NATURALLY did a full recovery-backup with the windows-tool  onto an external USB-HDD. What I didn't know (I am a Mac-User normally ...): This Windows-program seems to get in trouble when the new drive has another size then the old one. So: No recovery possible!!! I think you need something like Acronis True Image.

For my part, I installed a clean Windows 7 and then added all of the Nokia drivers and stuff ...

And now, the little Nokia is like a completely different machine!!! Naturally, as a Netbook it still far away from fast. But now it ist really usable and nice. There are some screenshots with CrystalDisMark-results in my MobileMe-account as well.

By the way: The SSD is so fast, Windows will tell you that ReadyBoost (with a Class 10 SDHC) is useless. I took a picture of that as well.

So: Go for it!!! :-D

P.S.: In my opinion, Nokia should have installed a SSD for the price of the Booklet ... 

P.P.S.: Here's the link again:

http://gallery.me.c…lichtenberg/100051 

Message Edited by clichtenberg on 20-Dec-2009 01:28 PM
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

I forgot to mention that the Windows Experience Index for the drive is 6.1 now!
Please use plain text.
Advisor

Very nice clichtenberg!  Yes, Arconis is definitely the way to go!  I haven't used the Windows 7 backup utility but I did image the drive with Arconis and it works like a charm.  I also see you use BatteryBar, another great piece of software!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

That is great!  thanks for posting your experience with the new SSD,  can you tell me if Aero is usable now or still a little sluggish? Also can you tell if the SSD affects batter life?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Hi!

Aero is really usable, I think. And I have the impression, that battery life is (even) a litte bit better.

I tested the battery life with a - in my opinion - excellent tool,  that simulates a user. Wait ... this one:

IT Espresso

And it lasts 8:28 (!!) with WLAN on & in use. Unfortunately I didn't know this tool before, so I have no real comparison.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
ceroberts75

drop it already and keep your personal **bleep** off.  i stated that if anything that that would be the thing he could prove to be wrong.

i would like to see if it actually works for hiim to get it working though...but your comments are un needed and un-called for flaming.

kustardking wrote:
@ clichtenberg - You're great.  Thanks for the dissection, and proving that **of course** the drive isn't soldered down.  I'm glad the kudo's grubbing/hyberbole prone ceroberts75 isn't participating anymore.  I'm anxious to hear about the x18-m.

Kudos are the STAR Below to the RIGHT, Solution is Below to the RIGHT
Please use plain text.
Advisor

I was also successfull in installing an SSD with a clean install of Windows 7 ultimate on my Booklet 3G. The performance increase is amazing. No need for ready boost. 1GB ram is all you need but Nokia should have gave option for SSD at additional cost.

** I would suggest making a boot partition on a flash drive and testing it or simply using an external DVD drive to format and perform a clean install of your OS.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

clichtenberg...

I may have missed the information, but ill ask anyway. What is the ssd identifier? as in where can i buy one, or is that even important? I guess what im asking is if all i need to do is get a 1.8"ssd thats 5mil tall?

thanks for the info in advance:smileyhappy: 

Please use plain text.