Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Recharging Nokia E71 using the included USB ca...

Recharging Nokia E71 using the included USB cable Nokia Connectivity cable CA 101

I have tried everything but still can't get the USB cable that came with the phone to charge the phone when plugged into the USB port on my computer. Any advise?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: Recharging Nokia E71 using the included USB cable Nokia Connectivity cable CA 101

The E71 doesn't have this feature.

You can only charge it through the 2mm jack where the charger plugs in.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
icebox

Re: Recharging Nokia E71 using the included USB cable Nokia Connectivity cable CA 101

yeah,

another "smart feature" for us business users ... charging while syncing would have been indeed silly

grrrr nokia :smileysad:
Please use plain text.

Thanks for your response. Nevertheless, I can't hide the fact that I am very disappointed with the fact that Nokia decided not to utilize a great feature that USB connectivity offers while minimizing the amount of cables and chargers you have to keep handy and carry around.
Truly,
Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
confiture

[ Edited ]
Try the CA-126 :smileywink:

Charging and connectivity over USB....

http://europe.nokia.com/products/accessories/all_accessories/memory-cards-and-cables/cables/CA-126

Message Edited by confiture on 28-Oct-2008 11:30 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

28-Oct-2008 11:29 PM
confiture wrote:
Try the CA-126 :smileywink:

Not on an E71. That phone nas a miniUSB port, not microUSB.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
confiture

[ Edited ]
The E71 in my hand right now has micro usb....

Message Edited by confiture on 29-Oct-2008 10:53 AM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Aaarghhh! My bad, you're right. Sorry.

I wonder why the E71 isn't listed in the devices compatible with that cable.

Either way round, I might just get one of those for my N96 when I'm using it as a modem on my laptop.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

oh well.. no E71 for me....i'm specifically looking for photos that charge with a _normal_ mini USB cable... Motorola managed to do it (although they're moving to micro USB now), and thats why I didn't buy a nokia for my last phone...

i have bundles of mini USB cables, and I'm near a computer almost all day... to me it just seems natural to want to charge my phone from a mini USB cable...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

There are plans afoot to make microUSB the de facto standard for data and charging on all phones, not just Nokia, so you might as well get started some time or other.

While the E71 doesn't charge via USB, the N85 does (nice OLED screen as well) and I believe the soon-to-be-released N97 does as well.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Nokia really missed a trick. Most people these days have a stack of mini USB cables, and I have got used to charging my old Windows Mobile device phone via the USB cable and foolishly made the assumption I would be able to do the same with the Nokia E71. Mini USB cables are, for most people, a standard cable used by many types of devices.

Being told that there is a combined cable that has a 2mm jack for charging and micro USB plug for sychronising is a poor response as this is a cable that I need to acquire and is of no use for any other devices. I used to be able to travel with one mini USB cable. For me, this is a backward step. I need a Nokia E71 specific cable as well now.

It makes me wonder why I didn't buy a Blackberry as they have standardised, from what I can see, on mini USB.

Nick

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RoamenCota

Just for the record, whoevers reading this from Nokia, this is why people are going to migrate to htc and more specifically, the android platform.  Jump on the boat or be lost at sea my friends.

Please use plain text.
Ex-employee (retired)
confiture

[ Edited ]

Or they could notice that this thread is from back in 2008/9, and micro USB charging is implemented across the Nokia smartphone range.

(Nice first post - welcome to the forum).

Please use plain text.
Contributor
djnisbet

Hmmm, USB charging would have been handy right now! Something has happened to my E71 (I think the chassis has got twisted slightly - sat on perhaps) and now the 2mm jack won't charge the phone. It feels like it is not going in fully home. However I've poked inside the socket with a toothpick and it seems clear of obstructions.

It's not user-serviceable I guess? Removing the battery and looking inside it I can't see any access.Oh well, nearly out of contract anyway and it's always been a really annoying unreliable handset, so perhaps it's for the best.

Please use plain text.
Kostadin4o

[ Edited ]

I am also having problems with the charger socket, the little thing sticking-out of the socket and making contact with the external charger is twisted and doesn't make proper contact, thus the phone cannot be charged.

Reading this topic I have found out that I have to get rid of my perfectly good phone (with the charger problems aside) because the USB charger solution uses the same damaged socket instead of the USB port :angry:

Please use plain text.
Matthew_S

[ Edited ]

I have obtained an E71x (the price was right), and while it did work briefly, the battery is apparently dead and the until does not charge up from the charging port or the USB. I have found this forum, and apparently the USB port was not designed to charge the battery, and apparently per Kostadin4o May2012 post the USB charger depends on the same charge port, so is not an option.
I have found a battery charger and (2) batteries available on Buy.com for a very reasonable price ($10.95) (see http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=227647742 )
This solution seems fully workable- anyone have experience (good or bad)?
thanks!

Please use plain text.