Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

SSD Upgrade Problem - OCZ Vertex II 40GB

neilmahal

SSD Upgrade Problem - OCZ Vertex II 40GB

Hey guys, long time reader of this forum. Bought the booklet 3g back in Dec 09, drove all the way to Buffalo from Toronto after work one day. I still think its one of the best industrial designs out there.

Anyway, I have been using it for watching 720p mkv playback, output to my tv, word processing and internet workhorse. I have been using a 4Gb SDHC class 10 and my performance has been great. I think following the update of Windows 7 SP1, I started noticing some hanging. I thought maybe it was time to dive into the SSD upgrade that so many have done sucessfully.

I settled on a 40gb SSD by OCZ. Went through a lot of trouble - was not aware of the issues with TRIM. After several attempts at clean installations, I cloned the HD and recovered to the SSD (thanks to a tool by Acronis, I was able to take a Windows Recovery Image and not play around with partition tables.

So now everything is working great, 720p playback on flash using GMA driver 500 is looking good. Boot up is fast.

However there is one issue that I am having a tough time troubleshooting:

When a boot-up cold, the SSD does not boot...after about 1 min it indicates "operating system not found". Following 5-6 Ctrl-alt-del, it suddenly boots up with no issues. I am at a loss here... 

Is it possible there is a problem with the MBR? Probably not since in that case it would not boot at all. Is it a power issue? I am noticing some issues with my 3G module, but it may be driver related. I am also noticing that when the netbook sleeps it cannot awake without restarting.

I am pretty desperate .... looking for some advice from you fine folks!!

neil

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
snowball2000

Re: SSD Upgrade Problem - OCZ Vertex II 40GB

Same thing with me. But I have another Booklet with Vertex 2 installed and with no problems. I noticed only one difference. First Vertex 2 has firmware v.1.27 - and it works fine.

Another one which is haning on startup v.1.35. So most probably it is something in the drive firmware. Looks like it is not possible to roll back to v.1.27 now. 

Please use plain text.
neilmahal

Re: SSD Upgrade Problem - OCZ Vertex II 40GB

I returned it and got a intel g1 ssd . works great.

Please use plain text.