Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Upgrading to SSD - problems with Bootguard???

Advisor
dante_lestat
Accepted Solution

Upgrading to SSD - problems with Bootguard???

Hi all,

I got a replacement for my mini laptop, the unit is a Samsung 128GB MLC SSD, taken out from a HP mini laptop (sorry don't have any more details).

Problem is that when I turn the mini laptop on I cannot enter the BIOS and after the POST a blank screen comes up with the line "Bootguard" on the top left corner and I can't do anything 

I haven't heard anything about this "Bootguard" but what I have learned so far is that is some type of encryption, how can I get rid of this and access the SSD to finally install the OS?

Thank you everyone in advance.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
dante_lestat

Re: Upgrading to SSD - problems with Bootguard???

got it working.

thank you

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
blakedunc235

could you post how you did it? im thinking about getting an ssd and would like to know just in case i run into the same problem
Please use plain text.
Advisor
dante_lestat

Hi blakedunc235

Sure,

Well I figured out that my keyboard is not working properly and the F2 key doesn't work among with other keys and that is why I couln't enter the BIOS.... now I have to look for a sparepart that not even Nokia has... but well that is another case....

Anyway, BIOS was not the problem, it detected the SSD right away, then I just installed WinXP from a USB stick to test it and it worked.

Thing is that the SSD came with a diferent MBR (Master Boot Record) that the previous laptop must have wrote, so WinXP installation got rid of it.

I have to say just for reference that WinXP loaded completely in about 10secs since when I press the Power button... Win7 about 15 to 20secs BUT somehow when I'm doing something Windows freezes for certain amount of time and that is annoying...

It doesn't do it with WinXP or Ubuntu 11.04, it has to be some setting in Win7 or the SSD itself. This is the first time I mess with a SSD.

BTW if you plan to upgrade your booklet, make sure you get a SSD FORM FACTOR 1.8"

I hope this helps.

Have a good day.

Please use plain text.