Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: hard disk change

hard disk change

Hi everybody,

yesterday I changed the hard disk. The default is completly bullsheet.

I bought 64Gb SSD KingSpec 1.8". Excellent result.

Very Fast. Windows 7 pro only takes 8 seconds to start.

the link to buy it is: http://www.memoryc.com/products/description/64GB_KingSpec_1_8-MicroSATA_SSD_Solid_State_Disk-MLC_/in...

I know, 64Gb maybe is not many memory, but for me it's enough and the usage of the booklet.

Now, it's fast.

In the other hard, I bought a Class 10 SDHC card, to use as ReadyBoost :smileywink:

Pictures to show:

HArd Disk Change

HD bios recognition

bios

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Hi ,

Plz post ur crystal disk mark results .( for 100MB)

Use link below to download

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/cdiskmark.html 

Thanks 

Please use plain text.

Yes, of course, here you have:

Please use plain text.

This is for the default "block size" format for that unit: 4096 bytes.

If you format for 64Kbytes I have worst results.

For a 512 bytes block size format I obtain this:

So, under my opinion, you must format the unit according your needs, if you will put big files or small ones.

The drive will work in same conditions...

see you.

Please use plain text.
Advisor

Thanks for sharing. 

I will get my king spec 32gb ($107) on Monday, will post my results as well. Eventually i want to get Intel or samsung high capacity when price fall down.  

See below results from clichtenberg for Intel 80GB added just for comparison with the above result

Would like to know why write speed for 4k is so high for intel as compared to kingspec  

as per spec .

Kingspec 1.8 :

Read speed upto 172 MB/s

Write speed  upto 99 MB/s 

Intel :

Read speed  up to 250 MB/s 

Write speed  up to 70MB/s 

Below is for samsung from omenshyne 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

I'm getting into this. Looked for a microsata SSD and the best I found was the 32Gb KingSpec (and the 128, but a little bit out of budget).

In the other hand I was wondering about the capacity for the SD Class 10 card... I've heard that since nokia booklet only has 1 Gb RAM anything more than 4Gb for ReadyBoost is a waste of money. Is this true?

Please use plain text.
Advisor

As I understand it:

The 4gb readyboost limit was a function of the formatting supported. Windows 7 supports exFAt and removes the 4 GB file limit.

Readyboost puts files that your computer would normally read from the harddrive to a medium (usb drive/ sd card) with higher read/write speeds than your HDD. That speeds up the time it takes to start up and run certain programs.

The performance boost from Readyboost is not directly related to CPU or the amount of RAM.

A 16 GB ready boost file means that only 16 GBs of program files can be read by the CPU from the harddrive at the faster read/write speeds. A SDD with fast read/write speeds will mean that all files can be read faster and that will result in a significant performance boost. 

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Then, definitely is absurd to use a SD card with ReadyBoost having also an SSD drive with fast r/w like kingspec or intel ones...
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
Nazalur

[ Edited ]

I just wanted to say, that anyone, who is deploying SSD in their Booklet should keep in mind a fact, that accordingly to an SSD specs, this kind of drives have much more shorter write/re-write cycles, than an HDD.

I usually use my desktop PC as a data storage. I keep my media and important data files there and don't use to do much of daily write/re-write operations: just a few movements when I'm working in OS for paging operations and writing down some lovely media to keep it for a long time.

But I use my laptop a completely different way - there's a whole "movement universe": endless file migrations, gigs of write/erase/re-write operations on disk during a day, copying and transferring files from and to peripheral devices, work and home usage. We have only 1 Gb of RAM in Booklet, so swapping operations is a normal thing to happen daily.

Moreover, a mobile device is much more vulnerable to static electricity and electro-magnetic fields, than a desktop PC, which in fact is grounded. But when a mobile PC, such as Booklet 3G become to own an SSD drive, that is very sensitive for this kind of surroundings - yeah, it is very fast, but I'm afraid it is not as lucky move, as it might seem at first.

At least for the people, who are using their device the way similar to mine.

What do you think? 

Message Edited by Nazalur on 27-Jan-2010 04:26 PM
Please use plain text.
Sage

Agree with regard to write/re-write, but the reality is that unless under really really heavy work, an SSD drive is likely to last for longer than the time before you are likely to change your laptop.  Now that laptops and netbooks are at these sort of prices, and with advances in technology, most users are likely to trade up to newer models within 2 years - or am I wrong?

Let's face it, with constant discharge and recharge cycles of just your laptop battery, that won't last that long before you either buy a replacement battery at a ridiculous price or trade up to a newer laptop - and any performance increase in this beautiful, long battery life laptop is truly appreciated.

But you have a point. If only they would reduce these damn SSD prices quicker!

Please use plain text.
Sage
myroslav

Paging (swapping) to SSD is not going to write to the same area you "think" file is. SSD maintain their own mapping of logical disk sectors to its own address space. The SSD controller is maintaining its own wear leveling mechanism to reduce chance you wear certain cell in a chip.

Having 100 paging operation a second is a lot. In a day you will probably will write/erase max 1.5Gb of data. With 80Gb SSD filled at 70% you'll be rewriting each SSD cell twice a month. With 5 year SSD lifetime you'll do120 rewrites with paging.

SSD have couple of magnitudes higher reliability then the load we've put on it in the sample above.

Nokia Booklet 3G upgraded with Intel x18-m SSD and Fedora 13 (Linux) as main OS
Please use plain text.
leho

i replaced the hdd to  the same kingspec ssd what you have. it was easy...but...

the battery life if dropped about 30%. do you have a same "problem?

Please use plain text.
Professor
theking2

The whole live cycle thing of frequent writes to SSD is a thing from the past. Newer designs put a lot of effort to spread around the writes to different areas of the flash memory really mitigating this problem. As for static discharge I would say you're right, a device on the move is more likely tobe exposed to problems related to this but I'm not sure if a SSD would change this negative or positive. 

There is one impoartant point you didn't mention. As a HDD has moving parts it is vulnerable to sudden high G movements. Drops for instance. Apart from a speed improvement this would be the main reason to eliminate the only moving parts object from the device and also keep power usage to a minimum. It is not really understandable why Nokia does not have a standard issue with an SSD as prices are making it more mainstream. Mobile devices should not have any moving parts in my opinion.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
kenonu

how did you open the booklet? i don't have one right now but I am thinking of buying one - so i don't know how to open the booklet

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

kenonu wrote:

how did you open the booklet? i don't have one right now but I am thinking of buying one - so i don't know how to open the booklet

If we could have some writen guide with some photos... :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Headworx

Please use plain text.
Sage
alzaeem80

Is the hard disk 64Gb SSD King fast in the internet when opening a lot of browsers?

phones i have 2730c - C1
KUDOS ME IF YOU FIND MY ANSWERS HELP FULL
Please use plain text.
losik

Hi. Could you please inform how battery life changed when you deployed SSD hard drive. 

Is it stayed the same ? or reduced or increased? 

Please use plain text.
Headworx

In my case the battery is now 8-9 hours using the Toshiba FDE drive (256 GB). With the Samsung drive (256 GB too) it was more like 7-8 hours.

What I do not know is if the power consumption is a function of SSD capacity or not, simply do smaller drives like 128 or 64 GB draw [significantly] less current?

Please use plain text.
Sage
alzaeem80

Headworx Are you using win7 ? And is the 64 gb hard disk starts the same as the 256Gb ?

phones i have 2730c - C1
KUDOS ME IF YOU FIND MY ANSWERS HELP FULL
Please use plain text.