Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: nokia play 360 and imac

Contributor
guimemo

nokia play 360 and imac

Hello folks,

I already read the thread about the ipad and the Nokia Play 360. What they describe on their thread (dropping the connection) is not my case. In a nutshell, my imac is able to pair to the 360, and even I can use the volume buttions in the 360 to control my imac's volume. The blue ring in the 360 becomes solid and everyting in my settings tells me that the device is paired and connected, the only problem is: there is no sound coming off my 360!! I already used my 360 thru bluethooth with my android phone and works as expected, so I'm puzzled here. I can go back and forth, switching the output device in "System Preferences -> Sound -> Nokia Play 360" from the internal speakers to the 360, and every time I see the blue ring in my 360 becoming solid, but no sound.

Is this a lack of driver from nokia or from apple?

Here my system output in case someone may know what could be the problem:

System Profile:
Model: iMac9,1, BootROM IM91.008D.B08, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.66 GHz, 4 GB, SMC 1.45f0
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9400, NVIDIA GeForce 9400, PCI, 256 MB
Memory Module: global_name
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x8E), Broadcom BCM43xx 1.0 (5.10.131.42.4)
Bluetooth: Version 2.4.5f3, 2 service, 19 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Ethernet, Ethernet, en0
Serial ATA Device: Hitachi HDT721064SLA360, 596.17 GB
Serial ATA Device: OPTIARC DVD RW AD-5670S
USB Device: Built-in iSight, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x8502, 0x24400000 / 3
USB Device: Keyboard Hub, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x1006, 0x24300000 / 2
USB Device: Apple Keyboard, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x0220, 0x24320000 / 4
USB Device: IR Receiver, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x8242, 0x04500000 / 2
USB Device: BRCM2046 Hub, 0x0a5c  (Broadcom Corp.), 0x4500, 0x06100000 / 2
USB Device: Bluetooth USB Host Controller, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x8215, 0x06110000 / 3

Bluetooth Output from systems profiler:

Devices (Paired, Favorites, etc):

==========================

Device:
  Name:    Nokia Play 360°
  Address:    00-0d-fd-47-46-ed
  Type:    Loudspeaker
  Services:    
  Paired:    Yes
  Favorite:    Yes
  Connected:    Yes
  Manufacturer:    Cambridge Silicon Radio (0x4, 0x167a)

===========================

Device:
  Name:    MicrosoftBluetoothNotebookMouse5000
  Address:    7c-ed-8d-09-f0-df
  Type:    Mouse
  Firmware Version:    0x100
  Services:    Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000
  Paired:    Yes
  Favorite:    No
  Connected:    Yes
  Manufacturer:    Infineon Technologies AG (0x3, 0x5cb2)
  Vendor ID:    0x45e
  Product ID:    0x700

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mangie

Can someone PLEASE give any kind of answer!? I have the same problem with my Macbook pro 2009...
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
binerchick

PLEASE help us with this issue ASAP.  If i can't figure out why no sound from my Nokia play 360 from my macbook pro, i am going to have to return the speaker.  Works great with my iphone and i have bluetooth headphones that sound great with my macbook pro.  So it must be something with the nokia speakers...

Speaker pairs fine and I am also able to control volume from the speaker and it appears on my macbook pro screen...but NO sound.  HELP or its going back with a bad review!!!

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback on this. It appears however that in this case it is a setting on the macbook which prevents the sound from playing on the speaker. As you indicate the speaker works with either an iPhone or Android phone this shows the speaker to be working correctly.

When you have the speaker setup, in the bluetooth dialog on the macbook it should show as paired (which will be indicated on the speaker with the blue ring being illuminated) and connected (indicated in the dialog with a green 'led'). If it's not connected select the settings dialog (the 'gear' icon) and select 'Use as Audio Device (mono)'. Now the speaker should be connected.

Let us know how you get on,

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
binerchick

Kosh, thanks for responding so quickly.  However, I still can't get the sound to work from my macbook pro after successfully pairing.

I did what you suggested.  I included a screen shot with this post.  My macbook pro doesn't give me an option for mono vs stereo (see attached screenshot).  Any other suggestions???

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mangie

Thanks for the answer!

But the same thing goes for me. It is paired and everything and even if I choose play 360 as output device, there is no sound. I know it is paired because I can change the volume from the play 360, e.g. when I use the volume buttons on the play 360 the master volume on the macbook pro is also changed and indicated on the screen. I have also found a stereo/mono option somewhere in the preferences on the macbook, but that did not help either...

Please use plain text.
Apollo2X

I have the same exact issue as the original poster, only difference is that I have a 2008 macbook pro. The speaker is paired and syncs with the volume MacOS controls and the LED light is blue. However, I don't get any sound, but no problems with my iPad or iPhone.

Anything else we can try to fix this problem? My main reason for getting the speaker was to use it with my Macbook.

I have attached a screenshot as well.

Please use plain text.
Employee
laarnio

There will be a SW update available for Play 360 speakers within the next couple of weeks. It solves this interoperability problem with Apple devices. Please contact your local Nokia Care Point for the SW update. Sorry for your inconvenience!

Lauri

Please use plain text.
Contributor
guimemo

Hello, I'm the original guy who posted this issue. I see that Nokia still needs to release their sw update, and that I won't have to return my speaker. As an interesting follow up, I found out that my girlfriends play 360, purchased at the same store, works flawlessly with my imac, so I went back to the store and asked for a replacement, not once, but twice, and neither of them worked. Looks like Nokia found the issue and released few 360 to the market with the fix, but no one at the Microsoft store (where we bought ours) knew how to distinguish a new from an old firmware. Bottom line is, if my gf got a sample of the bug fix, it seems to work, so hold on on your Play 360.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
binerchick

Thanks for the response Lauri.  I live in the US.  Are there Nokia local care points in the US to get the SW update for the Play 360?  I am not sure how to best get this SW update.  Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
MichaelHo

Is there a software update yet? I have the same problem... Where can I get the new software update?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mushmoosh

Yes, I am experiencing the same exact issue as well.  It works with a Nokia Lumia 900; however, it does not work with a Macbook Air.

Any guidance will be appreciated.  

Please use plain text.
Ex-Administrator (Retired)
michaels

I am told that Nokia Care points already have the update available for this product.

For details of your nearest NCp, please visit www.nokia.com/support and follow the Repair or Contact links (some national Nokia sites may vary).

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
guimemo

I live in the USA, and I cannot see any instructions in the US site to get this fixed. I chatted with an online representative, and he told me that the fix can be applied as of now only by a technician. So here is the drill:

On a piece of paper, you need to include the following details.

Fullname:
Shipping Address:
Phone number:
Alternative phone number:
Email Address:
Symptom Category:
Symptom Description:
Copy of the purchase receit:

For Symptom Category, you may choose on the following details:
Power, Cellular Access, Connectivity, Audio, Alert, Cosmetics, Mechanics, Intrusion, Display and Charging/Battery.

You will then send the Nokia Play 360 to this address:
Nokia Authorized Repair Center c/o UPS-SCS               
13501 Independence Pkwy - Dock Door 1146               
Fort Worth, Texas 76177

Now, hopefully you still have your proof of purchase. The kicker is, they wanted me to pay the inbound shipment, until I make them notice that it supposed to be covered by Nokia, so I was asked to provide the above info thru the chat so I could get a shipping label. The turnout for the label is 24hrs and for the repair a week or so.

Nokia USA, really?

Please use plain text.
kobetai

Hi

I have a Macbook Air from 2011. The 360 works great with booth my iPad and my iPhone but no sound when connected to my Air. Exactly the same case as stated in the first post.

I live in Sweden. How can I get this firmware update?

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Kosh

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

please see this post.

Kosh

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, click on the Star Icon below if my advice has helped you!

Please use plain text.
Contributor
guimemo

I sent mine for repair to the USA Authorized Center.

Please notice I sent it NOT for replacement but to apply to it  a firmware update needed to handle newer bluetooth versions required in the MacOS X, as instructed by one of your customer support online representatives.  Instead of getting such firmware patch applied, I got my nokia Play 360 speaker REPLACED by the Authorized Service Center in Texas.

My problem is, the replacement has not only the same symptoms as the defective piece of hardware I sent for repair, but even worse! My old speaker at least was able to reproduce sound from my android phone, this one does not reproduce sound from any device, period!

BTW, I have a second Nokia 360 working flawlessly with all the devices I pair it with, so I already discarded my phones and computers as the problem. I wanted this second 360 to have a second speaker to pair my first speaker with.

I've been struggling to get this repaired for months now, it took me months to receive my speaker back due the retuning address was misspelled.  At this point all I want is my money back, it is frustrating that your quality is not  the same across all your hardware, since again, some of your Play 360  I've tried work like a charm, some other don't work at all.

Please let me know what I need to do to get reimbursed, the Microsoft Store where I bought this told me that since the piece of hardware I have now came from the Nokia Authorized Service Center, all the servicing need to be done thru your customer support.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Pfrancoise

Hi guimemo,

I would advise you to contact your local Nokia care.

Pfrancoise.

If this post has helped you to solve this issue, please press the "accept as solution" icon. Kudos would always be appreciated.
Please use plain text.