Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

"Nokia Approved" SD cards

Professor
au_n97_user

"Nokia Approved" SD cards

Today I read that to transfer music as data files to my N97 I MUST have an SD card in my device.  Why, goodness only knows and hopefully PC Suite will circumvent that requirement.

However it goes on to say "be sure to use Nokia approved" blah blah blah....

How do I know if a card is the magical "Nokia approved"?  Couldn't seem to find that gem of information anywhere on the Accessories site!

Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: "Nokia Approved" SD cards

You do not need a microSD card fitted in order to transfer music to your phone. PC Suite can transfer to the mass memory no problem. You can also connect the phone in mass storage mode and it's the on-board mass memory that appears on your desktop.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Professor
au_n97_user

Thanks muchly.  Nokia need to update their web site in that case!  I couldn't imagine why I would need one, but it says you do as clear as day here: http://www.nokia.com.au/get-support-and-software/product-support/nokia-n97/how-to/music-for-n97/musi...

So I'll take your advice first - thanks!

Mind you, I still wonder how I know if a card is "Nokia approved" or not.

Mobile Overlord
grschinon

That page will be a template used verbatim for any device compatible with music playback. Nobody thought to write a separate page for phones that have on-board storage space like the N97, N96, N95-2/4 and N81 for example.

"Nokia approved" memory cards is just an escape clause so that Nokia can blame the memory card if there's a problem. The fact is that a microSD card cannot bear the "SD" logo if it doesn't comply with a load of standards. If it does comply with those standards then it will work with the phone. The quality of your experience and the card's reliability will depend on many factors where manufacturers have a certain amount of latitude, such as the "class" of the card (a higher class means a faster data throughput).

If, however, you buy one of those cheap knock-offs from eBay, which like almost every electronics product for sale on eBay, is likely to be a Chinese counterfeit, then it will still bear the SD logo but will not comply with any of the required standards and may even damage your phone. This is what Nokia was worried about when they added the phrase "Nokia approved". Such fake products are definitely not Nokia approved. Caveat emptor.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!