Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

3120 Classic usb charging

Mobile Guru
sockatume
Accepted Solution

3120 Classic usb charging

Quick question, can the 3120 Classic be charged by USB? The data cable indicates that it'll charge by USB with "compatible" phones but there's no mention anywhere about which phones support USB charging. (Of course, I can get a seperate USB->2mm charger if need be, but just hauling around one USB cable is much simpler).

Thanks in advance
Help I'm trapped in a sig factory.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: 3120 Classic usb charging

No, the 3120c does not draw power from its USB port. You'll need the USB to 2mm power jack to do that.

The only Nokia phones to charge through their USB ports are the 6500 classic, the 7900 prism and crystal prism, the 8600 Luna, the 8800 Arte and Sapphire Arte. The N85 will do this when it's released.

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Mobile Guru
sockatume

Thanks. I'll see if anyone sells a USB cable which splits to both power and data, there are plenty for things like the PSP. The N85 was on my list of phones to consider, so that's pretty good news.
Mobile Guru
nj15

[ Edited ]
In addition to what have grschinon said, you can use the Nokia CA-101 for charging your device through the USB slot - although it does not split access since it still uses the 2.0mm charging slot in the phone.

Nokia CA-100 Charger via USB port
Here: http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=145013

Cheers :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by nj15 on 03-Oct-2008 10:44 PM

I didn't realise Nokia did an official one, thanks.
Mobile Guru
nj15

03-Oct-2008 10:53 PM
sockatume wrote:
I didn't realise Nokia did an official one, thanks.

Sure. No prob. :smileyhappy:

CA-100 doesn't work with Nokia 3120 Classic
Mobile Guru
nj15

Hi,

The Nokia CA-100 charging accessory is indeed compatible to work with most Nokia phones with 2.0mm charging socket. Even the aging N70 is compatible with it.

Cheers

I am using CA-100 with my 3270 Classic. When the phone has a high charge, the cable works fine. But when the charge is lower, it starts getting intermittent problems charging.

I have found that if I connect a USB hub first to the computer/laptop/portable battery, and then connect the phone to the hub, it charges perfectly every time.

I can only vouch for the hub I use, which is the Logitech Premium 4-Port USB Hub for Notebook (this is a powered hub, but can be used un-powered). I use it without external power.

I am guessing that the CA-100 cable doesn't properly alert the port that a device has been connected, so it won't pump more juice through, however the hub alerts the port that it requires all the juice it can throw at it, which is then distributed to any hub-connected devices.

If I am correct it will actually charge faster than without the hub, especially if there are no other devices. If I am wrong, well, it works for me.

Anyways, it works great for me. Let me know how you people go.