Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Asha 311: Good built but worthless features.

Mobile Visionary
singhnsk
Accepted Solution

Asha 311 - Possible reasons behind WiFi bug

Was free today so thought of trying to find some details about the Wifi issue happening with Nokia Asha 311 or probably every Asha Full-Touch device. Users experiencing this issue can't connect use WiFi while browsing with Nokia Browser or using Mail/Chat apps. Here are the exact details about why this is happening:

Reason #1 - Internet Settings sent by Operator:
First and the most common reason for everyone. As soon as the operator sends a message containing the Access Point/Web or Streaming settings, the issue will arise. The problem will start even if the user doesn't saves the settings and rejects them directly. Nokia Browser connects properly using WiFi till the operator has not sent any settings. Also, the same thing happened with all the operators (AirTel, Vodafone and Docomo) I tried, So its definitely not an issue with the setting delivery of operator, instead a bug with the firmware.

Reason #2: Restoring a previous backup of the phone contents:
If a backup of phone was created and then restored (after a clean install of firmware), the issue will arise again. It doesn't matter if the user restores only a part of the backup's contents.
Analysing this brings in an another bug - Any backup created will still include a part of the backup of settings. I.e if the user only backs up messages, the phone will still backup some of the settings along with it. This occurs with both the backup through PC suite or through the Sync and Backup option present in the phone.

I was looking to file bug reports in the Developer Forum but thought to post it here first if someone can notice it here and I'm also not familiar with filing bugs there.

To the users - If you own a similar Asha Touch device, it will be very helpful if you can confirm my findings if they appear the same way with you or not. I've tried reproducing the same with a few different Firmware Variants to conclude that the problem is universal.
Please use plain text.
Employee
armagon

Re: Asha 311 - Possible reasons behind WiFi bug

Thanks a lot for the detailed feedback. We will look into this topic tomorrow.

Filing bugs through developer.nokia.com is pretty straight-forward, though that channel is mainly intended for application development related bugs. But this appears to be such a commin problem that having the report also there would not hurt. Here's the link: http://www.developer.nokia.com/bugs/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/nokia-x-updates/
http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/nokia-x2-update/
http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/asha-software-update/
http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Nokia_firmware_change_logs
https://twitter.com/LumiaSWUpdates
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

Okay thanks for having a look at this thread.
I will try filing Bug report there too, but i believe your direct feedback to the developers will be of more advantage.
Plus if you're able to reproduce the issue this way on your test devices, I'll be more confident about my findings. Will be easy to take this further then.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ishan_Dalal

Yes is right ...n many of handset(311) facing wi-fi conectivity including mine...today i gave it to care center ..

hope they resolved it

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

Thanks for confirming that Ishan. Being Asha Touch OS quite new, i had an idea that there will be bugs. Now when the bug is found, just hope it gets resolved soon in the future. I'll be happy with that.
I do wish that Nokia rises back to its lost pride again and that can only be done by improving the customer satisfaction which is presently not as expected.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Ishan_Dalal

Thats right ...nokia seriously needs to change their products according to what customers wants..not the way nokia wants...and should improve R&D in their products...otherwise nokia will starting to loose things one by one .becoz now there are many competitors in market including lenovo,Samsung,htc,micromax.....etc

I have used nokia hand set more than 6-7 years but didn't have any single prob..This was the first time that I had to go to the care center...

Hope this resolve fast...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Nitinemma4u

No multi - tasking . . .
Please use plain text.
Employee
armagon

These steps to reproduce the issue appeared to work at least for me. Information has been forwarded to a few different places inside Nokia. Thanks a lot useful post  singhnsk!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/nokia-x-updates/
http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/nokia-x2-update/
http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/asha-software-update/
http://www.microsoft.com/en/mobile/support/software-update/wp8-software-update/

http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Nokia_firmware_change_logs
https://twitter.com/LumiaSWUpdates
Please use plain text.
Sage
Wolf_49465

hiii
I had reinstall the software v5.92 from the Nokia Custumer Care.
The internet browser used to connect through wiffi and chat and mail app woked properly.
But when i tried today the same probleum came.
That is Mobile data swichted off ........
What should i do.....
Pls help..
i think you are correct "singhnsk "that the probleum might start after taking the internet settings.
Because the probleum started after taking the setiings
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

Thanks Armagon for forwarding the details to the required department. Seems you're the only Nokia Employee here who's actively collecting end-user feedback and forwarding that to developers. IMO its the best way to improve products and services. These support forums can be a lot informative and of more advantage if other Nokia Employees actively keep participating and collect useful feedback which can help in improving the products further :smileyhappy:
Liked the guys at Nokia Connects. It will be amazing if some more can be hired to take part in discussions too.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

@wolf_49465: Just as Armagon and others confirmed, operator settings are causing the issue.

Now the solution is to not to ask operator for the settings, instead set them manually.
Firstly acquire the Access Point and proxy details from your operator, then hard reset your phone to factory. Now just add the setting manually and make sure operator doesn't sends a message with the settings. It will keep working fine then and will connect to wifi when needed :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Professor
satyam384

i dont think so,the INTERNET SETTINGS are the cause for wifi problem !!!! i use my asha 311 via both mobile net at home and wifi in clg...... i turn off mobile data when using wifi and the wifi connects perfectly ! i'm using airtel with mobile office net settings..... with firmware 5.92v !!! 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

Yeah right.. But as you know setting for most of the operators are already present on the phone and they don't need to be re-sent by the operator, it will keep working fine to that point. Just ask Airtel to send you the settings and see the magic thereafter.
Please don't give your thinking here. Only after trying, if it still works fine for you, then your feedback is welcome.
Please use plain text.
Professor
satyam384

[ Edited ]

@singhnsk : yes ur right bro ... BUT with default settings,i.e when we insert airtel sim in phone's slot,default settings are present in configuration(i.e airtel mobile office,aitel mms,airtel live)...... though these settings are there the wifi works perfectly ! Then what might be the reason behind this,though having the internet settings ??

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

No problem with the settings. There's just a bug in the way phone handles the settings sent by the operator. It somehow messes up with the phone to only use Mobile Data.
Otherwise like i did, manually adding the Access Point settings to phone won't cause any issue. It only arises when the operator sends the settings via a service message.
Please use plain text.
Professor
satyam384

@singhnsk : thanks for the info bro :smileyhappy: i will add manual settings :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

But you don't need those. You already have had required settings pre-installed in the phone.
Also, if you insert a different sim card into your phone, chances are that operator will send out the default settings automatically. Make sure that doesn't happens or you'll start experiencing the wifi problem again.
Please use plain text.
Professor
satyam384

ok fine :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
KSSingh

Asha 311: Good built but worthless features.

[ Edited ]

Hi!

I have been here to report my own issue about Asha 311 model ,S40, software features.

I have been using this set from about more than two months.it is really smooth .

but i dont understand why Nokia guys put a S40 software in a 1Ghz prossesor mobile,why not a higher software than that.

you know they say that they put S40 for consuming less battery..ya thats right .....but my friend why didnt they works on its visual features..

I mean

1. There is no background colour other than BLACK.you cant pesonalise it.BUT why? The background you set is only visible at the time of unlocking.Didn't the programmers knew this.?::evil:

2.The set comes with a 2.8inch screen.The screen is fully used at the time of viewing photos and playing   games.. but ...why isit that while viewing a video in fullscreen, "ONE CM" from each side is left vacant.you cant  change it too.In this way the video size reduces to a two inch screen which is equal to the low cost java mobiles.what a bitter joke.....the diolouge box in the video streaming is so big that it oqcupies the half space of the screen it self .Cant the programmers have used a smaller one.:angry:

3. The mobile scensor is slow.it takes a more than a second or two to switch from horizontal view to vertical view and vice versa.:smileymad:

4. The mobile is advertised as smartphone but IT IS NOT TECHNICALLY A SMARTPHONE.A Smart phone has multitasking features which is absent in this mobile.

Can't you guess whether a 1 Ghz prossesor can support multitasking or not ?

Ofcourse it can do but its not provided here ......another drawback.:cursing:

The good part is that 

1. The dock is really useful.:smileyhappy:

2. The internet speed is better.:smileyhappy:

S40 is a very old software and i am sure these guys are experimenting upon it.

But taking in account the above issues I WANT THE PEAOPLE WHO READ THIS ,TO SUPPORT ME AND HELP ME IN HIGHLIGHTING THE ISSUE TO NOKIA so that they could find a solution and update mine and yours phone software.:rolleyes:

Please use plain text.
Professor

Re: Asha 311: Good built but worthless features.

there is "selected" multitasking as you can receive IM, email, VoIP calls while doing other tasks. Also during normal tasks you can send SMS and make a call by pulling down the "thing from top". 

having all apps running concurrently would mean also higher memory need which might be the reason why its missing, when you look the memory in which this phone runs in. 

but perhaps it would be nice to see some multitasking like Apple did i.e. only selected type of apps run in the background others just "freeze" and some nice way to toggle between them

Please use plain text.