Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Cannot play videos in Asha 501

GhostWhoWalks

Cannot play videos in Asha 501

I have some music videos in avi format. When I copied them onto my 501, they wouldn't play. I get this error message - "Sorry. Something went wrong while playing this file". I have tried to convert the avi files to mp4 files , but still they won't play. Is there anything wrong that I am doing? are there any other video player aside from the stock player for asha 501?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AbhayK

Re: Cannot play videos in Asha 501

• Video playback codecs: H.264/AVC, H.263, MPEG-4
  • Video playback file formats: MP4, ASF, AVI, 3GP
  • Video recording formats: 3GP/H.263 

Source - Asha 501 Specs

I had this problem and to my understanding, it won't play MP4 unless the codecs involved in making MP4 are H.264, H.263 or mpeg. Choose these in the video codec and it plays MP4 which looks good than 3GP on tiny screen with good clarity.

3GP and ASF are standard codecs that are easy to convert and download online easily.

AVI has some codecs that are different but have not tested it.

Please use plain text.
GhostWhoWalks

Thanks for the quick response. I am using WinFF as the converter and have chosen the codec as MPEG-4 H.264. It still does not pay in Asha 501.

Any other converter software that you might recommend?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

[ Edited ]

I succeeded with MPEG-4 Simple Profile (SP). Is that available in your tool?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
AbhayK

You should select just "mpeg" or standard "H.264" as mentioned above and not "MPEG-4" in your profile.
Please use plain text.