Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Help Keypad not working on Nokia 5310 MusicExpress

Counsellor

Help Keypad not working on Nokia 5310 MusicExpress

My keys 789 are not working, I have to repeatly tap it for the keys to work.

How Do I solve this? Seems like a hardware problem.

My software is Verson 8.3 I think?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Re: Help Keypad not working on Nokia 5310 MusicExpress

It's either a hardware fault or it's been exposed to moisture.

Take it to a nokia care point for inspection and repair.

Care points/service centres and repair info:

UKEuropeAsia-PacificUSA
CanadaMiddle East and Africa

Elsewhere: Click here, select your country, go to the support section, then select repair.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Will updating the software help? Or solve it?

BTW I want to keep all my sent and inbox messages. If I move them on to my PC via the PC suit can move it back in after the phone has been fixed? (Assuming Nokia may update the phone software during a hardware fix)?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

You can try the software update but to me it looks like a hardware fault or damage caused by moisture.

I've never tried to move messages back from PC suite to a series 40 phone. If you search the forum you should find an answer.

There is a high chance that while it's away for repair they will update the firmware too.

If the damage is found to have been caused by moisture then they will return it to you unrepaired.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

How can they know if its damaged by moisture?

Also my music keys are playing up too. The buttons don't stick out as much and are more level/flush with the phone. I have to really press it in for it to work. Really annoying the build quality of Nokia. 

Cam you tell me what the new V 09.42 entails? I've searched but no one knows what problems are sovled in the V09.42.

No idea why Nokia don't release that infor. I mean they are telling us to update the software but don't tell us what it brings. 

Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

They have several ways of telling if a phone is moisture damaged or not.  Some models have a small white pad under or near the battery that turns pink.  On other models it's hidden inside. If moisture has entered the phone through the keypad (i.e. spilling a drink on it) the white pad will not change to pink but they will be able to tell.

Nokia never release details of updates to series 40 phones to the public.  Nearly all updates to those phones are just general bug fixes. If you are unhappy about that policy use the "contact us" link near the top of the page and complain to nokia.

All you can do is try the update but it's highly likely not to fix your issues which seem to be hardware related or moisture damaged.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

The "Contact Us" doesnt work I've tried it before, relating to a problem I had with the 3110. How a V6.0.3. had been released and found to solve memory card issues of 3110. For some reason Nokia had release that but decided to pull it away from the public and tell the public only Nokia centres have it and for them to go to Nokia centres.  But Nokia centres that I went to have all declined to have the new firmware.

I wrote to Contact Us and to the Nokia software development team via letter and email and till this day still had no responds. (This was 2 years ago)

It seems only way for consumers to communicate to Nokia is via forums.

Anyway I am sure it is hardware related too rather the software but I am too wary of updating my phone to the new firmware as I have no information what the new firmware fixes. I know general bugs but that is too vague. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

i have the same problem with 7,8 and 9 not working. luckily it's still under guarantee, but it's incredibly annoying, especially when i've kept iy as far from water as possible (my mum dropped my last phone in the washing up bowl). Not sure of it being a software fault, but i'll just have to wait and see i guess.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor

Have you taken it to Nokia? If so what was the result. after a few weeks I have finally cracked and going to take it to Carphonewarehouse

for repair, 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

i sent it off for repair yesterday, the guy at carephone wharehouse didn't seem too convinced it wasn't water damaged though. should get it back in 2 weeks. 

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

[ Edited ]

Just to update you. I took my phone to CPWH and they fixed the keypad. One problem that rose was they updated the firmware to 9.42 without my consent and I specially said I didn't want a software flash since it was a hardware problem.

Now the new 9.42 has made and caused more problems. Firstly the powermode, screensaver and sleep mode does not work. The phone goes dark but does not go complete idle. Normally when you get a text or miss call you get a small bar that tells you have a missed call or text. That does not show up no more becuase the phone does not go to idle. 

Secondly the music player keeps crashing. It plays music alright but the music keys and the D pad does not respond after a few presses. You can't even stop the music from player, the power button doesn't even work. You have to take the battery out. Not 

Not happy. 

Message Edited by jaaay on 12-Mar-2009 11:17 PM
Message Edited by jaaay on 12-Mar-2009 11:17 PM
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hello,

Warranty of my 5310 Cellphone expired just 2 months ago, and im having now the same issue, 7,8 & 9 keys are not working. I'am totally fadeup with the quality of this phone.

can you guys let me know what to do with it?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

This is not a hardware problem and water damage would does not create faulty programming. I had the same problem on my 5310 for the row 456, running on fw 7.01. As you say, the keys start working again after you tap them for a while; have you also noticed when they stop working? This seem to be when you leave the phone with the key-lock switched on (if you, for instance leave the phone on the screen that you get by hitting *#0000# you will see that the buttons are still working afterwards. This screen prevents the automatic key-lock functionality.) If you've been a developer for as long as I have it should be quite clear that somebody made a no-no.

So, your issue should be resolved by updating to firmware version 9.42 using the Nokia Software Updater.

Nokia have had some problems with their updater recently. They fixed it now, but should you be unable to connect to their servers even though you have all ports open, no firewall in the way and so on, you will need to reinstall the software.

This is the file i got from support when I talked with them about it.

http://nds1.nokia.com/files/support/global/phones/software/NokiaSoftwareUpdaterSetup_en.exe

so, uninstall the current version, reboot, install this one.

Good luck!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
monicamascy

I too dropped my phone a few days ago and it wasn't responding to any of the key presses, not even the music buttons on the left. The only way I could access information on my phone was by connecting it to my computer and getting out a few important numbers.

I checked out this discussion board and didn't find an appropriat answer to fix the problem, hence had to take my Nokia Xpress music to a Nokia showroom where they had to open it up. There's a micro chip sheet behind the external buttons that seemed to have been damaged and had to be replaced. It was pretty expensive, but that seemed to be the only solution!

Please use plain text.