Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Key mapping to symbols is incorrect on Asha 303

Pegasus_RPG

Key mapping to symbols is incorrect on Asha 303

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone.

I just got a slightly used Asha 303 and noticed that the symbols obtained when you press the lower-left gray arrow key (like colon, slash, plus, parenthesis, etc.) are not those shown on the key caps. (e.g. semicolon is shown on the comma key, but pressing the 2nd and that key gives me an accented o. The other keys on that right side of the keyboard all give accented letters.) How can I correct/change this, even if it means manually re-mapping?

Incase it matters, This phone was originally sold in Malaysia, Thailand or China I think since those maps were pre-loaded on the memory card. There are no special characters on the keys though, other than some yellow stroke marks on the R,T,Y,F and G keys. I have since upgraded the device software, restored it to factory defaults and set the language to English but it didn't make a difference.

Any ideas are welcome.

Please use plain text.
aleisha11

Re: Key mapping to symbols is incorrect on Asha 303

Hi,

Welcome to the forum!

It doesn't matter if your phone was originally sold in other country. You should be able to see the exact character when you press the button. Have you tried to switch off the phone, take out the battery for a second and then switch on the device? What happened after that? 

If switching off/on of the device didn't work and tried all the possible solution for your concern, it's best to have your phone checked with the Nokia Care Point. If your phone is already out of warranty, repair charges may apply. 

Check from this link for the nearest Nokia Care Point in your area: www.nokia.com/support

Hope this helps. :smileyhappy:

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
pers0n

Did you ever get this fixed? I'm having the same issue

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

Please, go to Menu » Messaging » Create message » Options and double check

• Writing language » English
  • Input mode » should show Stroke and Number, then you are in English (Abc)
  • Predition settings » Off
  • Back

With the very left-hand side arrow, you are able to switch to Number mode. If you hit that button twice, you are sticked into number mode until you hit that button again. With the button right-hand side of that, you switch between captial letters (once, forever).

Now, if you still wrong characters, please, give us the seven letter code printed on the label below the battery, below the barcode (product code). Alternatively, that code is printed on the sales box as MATERIAL. Perhaps someone messed arround with the firmware and installed a wrong keyboard or a wrong firmware.

Please use plain text.