Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 101 is not playing half my MP3 files

Advisor
Drone

Nokia 101 is not playing half my MP3 files

[ Edited ]

Bought a new Nokia 101 couple days ago.

Installed an SD card with several MP3 files (mostly audio books, some music). All these files play without a hitch on all devices I'v tried them on - right from bare basic phones, smartphones to comps.

Bit I find that a approx half of them won't play on the Nokia 101!. Error message displayed - "File format not supported. Please select another song".

Discovered that this phone has a ridiculous limitation of not being able to play MP3 files of bitrate lower than 32 kbps. So checked all the files and after eleminating the < 32 kbps files, it is still not playing about half the files that are well above 32 kbps. The other half or is, it plays well. So its not like the MP3 player is totally broken.

What could be the issue? Please help, as I need the phone to play these files if it is to be of any use to me.

Quite disappointed with Nokia, as no other phone or player has such issues with playing anything.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

hi mate,

have you checked that you have the latest firmware update for the handset via checking on the handset itself? if that doesn't resolve your issue, then try Restoring the phone to factory settings.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Drone

Thanks for the response. Where can I know the latest version of firmware for this phone? It's a brand new phone . Manufacturing date is march 2013. So I hope it comes with the latest firmware factory installed.

Will try the factory reset. But I doubt it will help on a brand new phone.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

It is not possible to update the phone software for Nokia 101.

I recommend you to use mp3 files with a minimum bit rate of 96Kbps to 196Kbps.
The more the bit rate is the better the audio quality(listening experience) will be.

Hope this helps.

-------------------If this post helped you, click on accept as solution.------------------
-----------------------------Appreciate by clicking on white star.----------------------------
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Drone

Did a factory reset and rebooted. Didn't help. Please let me know where I can find the latest version of firmware, if possible.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Drone

[ Edited ]

@Srikant - Are you sure? Nokia Care told me on phone that it can be done; and asked me to bring the phone. My concern is that I currently don't have the time for it, and was hoping to find some solution here. Nothing is worse than having to take the time and effort for taking a brand new product for service.

I don't see a PC interface port on the 101 like the one on my 1112. But I don't know if there is one inside the cover or something... haven't checked.

While we would all like to use MP3s of high bitrates, its not always a choice we can make. I have some files of <32 kbps, and I now know this amazing phone can't play them. But I really don't understand why it isn't playing half my files that are in the whereabouts of 50 kbps. Its not possible to get these files at originally higher bitrates. I guess I could try to encode these files at higher bitrates, but thats not going to increase their quality! Besides, these are audio books and no music, so the files at existing bitrate are fairly good. And really, why should I be spending time in doing all this, when every other phone, including very basic ones can play these files on the same SD card without a hitch?

I mainly bought this phone as a secondary phone for some voice calling and for its MP3 player. It fails badly at both jobs as its single speaker design makes any privacy on calls impossble - everyone around can hear the opposite person loudly. And as an MP3 player it fails for the reason above, for having a barely ok speaker (not quite good enough even for audio books) and for being so bare bones as to not even have a seek option, which is a REALLY bad thing when you are listening to audio books.

Even no-name Chinese phones can do a better job.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Srikanthsd is incorrect, you can actaully update the firmware thru FOTA on the phone itself but as it doesn't have a USB port you can't do it thru PC, same as models such as the 110. from memory, i believe the last update that was released for it said something about improved audio handling so it may be what you are describing is solved in that firmware update.

it is buried in the settings somewhere, but the firmware update option is there.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

Well, if the option is present, you have to check "phone updates" found in settings- phone.

-------------------If this post helped you, click on accept as solution.------------------
-----------------------------Appreciate by clicking on white star.----------------------------
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Drone

[ Edited ]

FOTA possible on this phone?? :smileysurprised: I thought FOTA needed an internet connection?!

Anyway, I went thru the "Settings" menu. Went thru the Settings > Phone Settings twice. Could not find any such option. I don't see where else it could be hidden. :confused:

My software version is as displayed below. Can anybody possibly tell me if there is a newer version available?

101 V 07.70

18-10-12

RM-769

Handset manufacturing date is mentioned is March 2013, on the box.

Any help really appreciated.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

Actually, there is no internet option for it.
So, that cannot be solved with software.

Only thing you can do is to try converting those files to .amr format or any other format the phone supports using a PC software called Format Factory.

Download Format Factory from www.pcfreetime.com

Hope this helps.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Drone

This brilliant phone supports only mp3 format. that too with the limitations mentioned above.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
Srikanthsd

Give it a try, convert them to .amr format.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Drone

[ Edited ]

Sigh... I could try, but Nokia has clearly mentioned that only MP3 format is supported. And maybe I'll loose some quality in the conversion? 

Anybody knows where the antenna is placed in this phone? Seeing the signal attenuation by covering with hands, it seems to be at the bottom. Am I right?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
cthiraviaraj

[ Edited ]

Is there any solution available for this problem ?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Drone

[ Edited ]

None found and nothing worked. Didn't get the time to visit the service center... and it does need a lot of time! Didn't feel like wasting time in converting formats.... and its unlikely to work anyway, since only mp3 is supported. Better than wasting time with this phone, its better to write it off and not think about another Nokia in a hurry as its quite disappointing in other ways too, even as a very basic phone.

Please use plain text.