Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 220 (Nokia OS)

addidaes77

Nokia 220 (Nokia OS)

Hi guys :squint:,

I finally got my hands on a Nokia 220 (which makes a good add-on to the rest of my Nokia collection). Although I do like the phone, I came accross some strange features, first of all, I noticed that I can add more then just one phonenumber to a contact stored in the phones main memory (I mean, my old Nokia 1280 can handle even more then that), secondly, what is up with this Y! Messenger (no offence to those who use it), I though Nokia is now from Microsoft, how come this Y! Messenger is installed on to it, why not, Facebook Chat, Line or Whatsapp and speaking of the last, there is also no Store app on the phone. OK, it is a cheap feature phone, I get that, but even downloading anything for it is impossible. Please Nokia team, explain this to me? Why come with a phone on the market which is awesome like any Nokia has been (hardware wise) but has nothing to offer, software wise? The "old" Nokia Asha 206 is equal, yet has more to offer. One more thing, I manage to finally get my hands on a Nokia X, now.. I have some Lumias and all, but the Nokia X is awesome, it's so darn fast and the battery really is awesome. Now, that is what i call a real Nokia (and yes, more then enough apps for the X). But please. I moved from The Netherlands to Singapore, OMG, what a mess is it here with mobile phones, iPhone and Smasung Galaxy's rule the nation. Nokia, if you want to make some more ground here, come out with the phones SOONNNEEERRRRR, the better :-D

With warm regards,
addidaes
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

The Nokia 220 was manufactured before the Microsoft acquisition, why drag Microsoft's name into this?

It has very limited phone memory, what do you expect?
Please use plain text.
addidaes77

@ yasfer21,

I did not drag the Microsoft name in to it because of, i don't know what, I just named the companies name, so don't get to itchi about it. I am also not just a Nokia user/buyer because of some hype thing going on. I buy and use Nokia's since then 3310 times, and that is a long time ago, I have collected and still have 100++ nokia models. I just was asking why this one comes with Y!Messenger preinstalled when the rest of the world uses whatsapp or LINE. I also did not complain about the phone memory, because it has, like the Nokia 206 a limited internal storage and and Sd slot to extend that. I simply was aksing some questions and added some remarks regarding a great phone with strangely and not so Nokia, limited options do download more and ofcoz the options to add more numbers to a contact.

With warm regards,
addidaes
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

[ Edited ]

"I though Nokia is now from Microsoft, how come this Y! Messenger is installed on to it"

What you are saying is that because Nokia is now Microsoft they should not have Yahoo! messenger on the phone?

"Why come with a phone on the market which is awesome like any Nokia has been (hardware wise) but has nothing to offer,"

Seriously?

You mentioned about the store. It does not have a store because there is not point installing any app on it due to small internal memory (logic).

The rest of the world does not use Whatsapp and LINE. seriously...

You said you have used Lumia and Nokia X too, you should know the answer to your questions! 220 LOW, X MID, Lumia HIGH

Seriously...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
nj15

addidaes77 wrote:

Hi guys :squint:,

speaking of the last, there is also no Store app on the phone. OK, it is a cheap feature phone, I get that, but even downloading anything for it is impossible. Please Nokia team, explain this to me? Why come with a phone on the market which is awesome like any Nokia has been (hardware wise) but has nothing to offer, software wise? The "old" Nokia Asha 206 is equal, yet has more to offer. One more thing, I manage to finally get my hands on a Nokia X, now.. I have some Lumias and all, but the Nokia X is awesome, it's so darn fast and the battery really is awesome. Now, that is what i call a real Nokia (and yes, more then enough apps for the X). But please. I moved from The Netherlands to Singapore, OMG, what a mess is it here with mobile phones, iPhone and Smasung Galaxy's rule the nation. Nokia, if you want to make some more ground here, come out with the phones SOONNNEEERRRRR, the better :-D

The Nokia 220 runs on Nokia OS (Series 30) which is obviously designated to be part of the "next-billion" project. This is a feature phone that is packed with functions enough for those who are having their first internet capable phone. For those who already own a high-end smartphone, this can serve as their secondary phone. Nothing fancy, but still functional. 

If you want more of apps, Nokia made the X's and Lumia's for that. 

Hi guys,

W'll thank you for your replies to my questions, remarks. I know that phones like the Lumia and X series are more for the mid- and high end users. I buy Nokia phones because they are solid build, colorful and look awesome, I don't buy just one Nokia every 2 years because my contract allows it, I buy a Nokia (whatever model or price) as soon as it comes out. I simply tried to start a simple conversation about some issues I have, nothing more, nothing less.

Being a collector of Nokia phones does not automatical mean I have to be a guru. If I would know everything I would no be posting anything here!

Regards

With warm regards,
addidaes
Please use plain text.
Contributor
talos2002

I used the dual sim version of this phone in Sunday.
I like its looks, simple and modern. I also like the looks of the menus, as they follow the modern all-flat trend.

As its software is very new, I noticed a few issues:
1) Inserting internet settings, the field for inserting access point name is locked to accept only numbers. The # key doesn't work so letters can be input.
2) I noticed that moving my sim from sim1 to sim2 and inserting another one as sim1, now has much lower signal level as sim2. This needs more testing of course to verify it.
3) Some translation to my language (Greek) is poor, while on older Nokia feature phones was fine. E.g "Join networks" is translated to "networks merging".
4) No setting to set the time in 12-24 hours format.
5) No option for assigning preferred shortcuts to navigation keys (up. down, left, right).
6) No option for assigning preferred shortcuts to upper left and upper right corner keys.
7) Small font size option is not in the menu. Only normal and big.
8) Typing capitals in Greek T9, instead of the capital "S" (Σ), the small one (ς) is printed on screen when it's a word's last letter.

The phone was sent to Nokia in Monday morning for firmware update, but there is no new update. Today I was informed that a new update will be available tomorrow.

If you have any questions or I could help you on something, I'd be glad to assist you.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

addidaes77 wrote:

Even downloading anything for it is impossible.

The Nokia 206 was based on the operating system Nokia Series 40 which has a history of more than 10 years now. The Nokia 220 uses Nokia Series 30+ as operating system (OS). That Plus means it is a complete new operating system based on MediaTek, Taiwan. The Nokia 108 was the first to get that OS. Although the naming of the Nokia 220 might suggest differently, with the state of today, Series 30+ is below Nokia Series 40 phones released since 2004. The Nokia 206 is currently on sale around the globe, therefore it overlaps with the price range of the Nokia 220. Actually, MediaTek platforms are not that bad normally—I have no clue either what the Nokia team of Beijing did to MediaTek.

Once again, I am surprised as you why Nokia Marketing does not transparently communicate this change in the OS via the model name/number. I do not understand that. You do not understand. Every fifteen year old is not going to understand that decrease in software quality. Perhaps someone here is able to enlighten us why a one-time written software has to go with a per unit/hardware price-tag. Additionally, the statement on the sales box: ‘Social Apps and games preloaded’ means in common language: We—Nokia—decided which apps you get, you cannot load your own apps. Nokia has to live with the fact that this effort might not satisfy everyone’s need.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

That is because people has their mind set that a higher number is always an upgrade to the lower number. This may be true when you only have one phone model like Apple.

That is also what I do not like about Nokia's model numbering system (is there even a system?). Just like the Lumia 630, one will think that it is an upgrade to the Lumia 620 but actually, it is not.
Please use plain text.
addidaes77

W'll I have to admit that even though the Nokia 220 is a low-entry phone it still is awesome though. I love the design and color (i got a cyan colored one), matches very lovely with the rest of my colored collection of a Nokia 206 pink, Nokia 206 yellow, Asha 501 red, Nokia X bright green, Nokia X cyan, Nokia 105 cyan, Nokia 210 black, Nokia 210 yellow, Lumia 520 red, Lumia 1320. Just ordered a Nokia XL orange color which is still missing in my collection and looking forward to get my hands on the new Nokia 225 in bright geen, and yes yasfer21, I kow the 225 is also a low-entry model :-D

With warm regards,
addidaes
Please use plain text.
Contributor
talos2002

[ Edited ]

Today I received my 220 updated, with firmware update version 13.00.11 (10/04/14). Nothing from my issues is fixed yet

Updated my list and fixed a typo:
1) Inserting internet settings, the field for inserting access point name is locked to accept only numbers. The # key doesn't work so letters can not be typed.
2) Some translation to my language (Greek) is poor, while on older Nokia feature phones was fine. E.g "Join networks" is translated to "networks merging".
3) No setting to set the time in 12-24 hours format.
4) No option for assigning preferred shortcuts to navigation keys (up. down, left, right).
5) No option for assigning preferred shortcuts to upper left and upper right corner keys.
6) Small font size option is not in the menu. Only normal and big.
7) Typing capitals in Greek T9, instead of the capital "S" (Σ), the small one (ς) is printed on screen when it's a word's last letter
8) Writting a new sms message,  # button doesn't allow to switch language.

Anybody knows if and how these could be forwarded to Nokia people?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
talos2002

Some upates for my above post:

1) Can't type letters at "Access point name" field in internet settings, when using Greek language menu. By default it's typing numbers and # key doesn't work.
2) Some translation to my language (Greek) is poor, while on older Nokia feature phones was fine. E.g "Join networks" is translated to "networks merging". (I could help for free on this)
3) "Time format" setting (12 or 24 hours format) is not available when "Auto-update time" is turned on.
4) No option for assigning preferred shortcuts to navigation keys (up. down, left, right).
5) No option for assigning preferred shortcuts to upper left and upper right corner keys.
6) Small font size option is not in the menu. Only normal and big.
7) Typing capitals in Greek T9, instead of the capital "S" (Σ), the small one (ς) is printed on screen when it's a word's last letter
8) Writting a new sms message,  # button doesn't switch language to english. So we can't send mail or web addresses, or anything in english any more.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
talos2002

Probably a silly question, but... where is the alarm clock?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

On my Nokia 220, the alarm clock is the 4th icon in the main menu.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
talos2002

Thank you Abi99. I think I am used to too old Nokia's that have it in the clock settings.

Please use plain text.
teosal1

Please add that, there's abillity only 1 telephon number for each Contact. Do you know any solution? Thanks.

Please use plain text.