Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 2700 as a modem.

Counsellor
dawitbogale
Accepted Solution

Nokia 2700 as a modem.

I was able to have an internet access on my laptop using my nokia 2700 classic phone as a modem via Nokia PC suit.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Yes, and?
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dawitbogale

my issues are 3 generally.
1. My data usage info shows higher number of recived data (bytes/second) than the recieved data, and as the minues goes by the sent data size increases dramatically. (inproportinately with the recieved one)
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dawitbogale

i meant higher sent than recieved. Sorry for the typing error.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

It's a glitch in the old operating system on that model, unfortunately it can't be fixed.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dawitbogale

2. The connection is so much slow that most of the pages doesn't even load most of the time. But amaizingly it can download AVG anti virus and windows updates in an astonishing amount of speed. Even big sized updates can be dowloaded with in a matter of minutes.(most of the time ever in a better speed than broad band connection) why?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Varying network conditions most likely explain that on both ends.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dawitbogale

when u say a glitch on old operating system, u mean the phones operating system?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Yes.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dawitbogale

please explain a littel bit more on the speed issue. If the connection made could dowload update files even faster than the broadband connection, why couldn't it run other internet services like browsing and chatting as efficiently?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Sounds like you have really poor broandband if that is the case. The 2700c isn't even a 3G device so your broadband is clearly very slow if that phone can provide you with data faster.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dawitbogale

and are u sugesting that using a more recent platforms like asha 311 as a modem can solve the data usage issues and the web experience as well? If so is ur suggestion just a logical hypotisis or a fact based on actual experience?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

My experience with using older non-3G phones as modems was a slow painful one. Naturally if you live in an area that has 3G and use a phone that is capable of functioning as a 3G model it will be better.

Personally if I was you I would be talking to my broadband supplier as it is either faulty or not broadband if it is slower than a 2G phone!
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dawitbogale

but the broad band performs well in other net experiences like browsing, social networking, email an so on. Which the nokia 2700 modem doesn't even thought to try. But specifically when it comes to the antivirus and windows update, the 2700 modem works mostly equal and sometimes better.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dawitbogale

actually as i said the broad band is, though still slow, performs virtually what a broadband performs. I can make video chats, youtube streaming, web browsing... Just everything. The 2700 modem doesn't even upload a 10 kb pic on face book, while i can upload picture files which have megabites of sizes using the broad band. The difference comes when dowloading the two specific updates. AVG and windows.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
dawitbogale

we don't have 3G net around here. So changing the device has no use?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Emperor
psychomania

Without 3G then it is pointless.
Please use plain text.