Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

Nokia 2710 (RM-586) FW 6.22 problems with sms sett...

Contributor
albertzweistein

Nokia 2710 (RM-586) FW 6.22 problems with sms settings menu (no changes to FW 6.13)

Today I updated my phone to the freshly available FW 6.22 which resolved the GPS menu error, however sms settings menu is still the same.

The problem is that according to English user manual page 17 section Message settings menu Messaging->More->Msg. settings->Text messages should allow delivery reports, set up message centres for SMS and SMS mail, select the type of character support and set up other preferences related to text messages. My phone menu contains only Message centre, but nothing about reduced / extended character support or setting for saving Y/N sent sms messages.

I know older phones like 6300 had such menus and I used those features. Using our local character set in sms through T9 may lead to incidently sending 2-3 times more linked sms due to limited Unicode sms size.

Is that sms settings menu the same wrong for all current S40 phones or just for 2710?

Contributor
x54321a

Re: Nokia 2710 (RM-586) FW 6.22 problems with sms settings menu (no changes to FW 6.13)

[ Edited ]

Same problem here. It does not seem to be possible to turn on the restricted character set for SMS sending.

I know 2710 is a low end phone but I expect it to provide at least good call and SMS experience. I do not understand why this feature is not available. T9 support is virtually useless for SMS written in east european languages without the restricted character set for SMS sending as the maximum SMS size shrinks.

Contributor
x54321a

Re: Nokia 2710 (RM-586) FW 6.22 problems with sms settings menu (no changes to FW 6.13)

Solved in firmware 09.67.

Select "Menu / Messaging / More / Msg. settings / Text Messages / Character support" and set it to "Reduced"