Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia 2730 on 3G

Counsellor
kevin9x

Nokia 2730 on 3G

Hello,
I have a Nokia 2730 classic.
On 3G, the maximum supported speed is 384 kbps. Right?

I noticed that on 3G on this handset, the maximum speed is only 150 kbps (when connected via PC Suite for browsing internet).
I called up my operator's customer care and they tried to help, but it did not work. Then I tried using the same sim on a 3G HSPA USB modem and got the expected speed of 3 mbps.

I upgraded the phone's software to 10.45 but that did not fix the issue.

Any suggestions to be made in the settings to correct the speed from 150 kbps to 384 kbps on the Nokia 2730?
Please use plain text.
Contributor
y0_gi

Re: Nokia 2730 on 3G

kevin9x
when you download what is the download speed ?is it 40 kb / s ? Or what please tell me. Becouse when i try to download the speed doesn't exede 46 kb /s
Please use plain text.
Sage
classic_sis

Me too. When I still use Nokia N76, the download speed is around 40 Kb / second. I think it is hard to get the internet speed like it is said on the spesification.
Niki
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kevin9x

[ Edited ]

The download speed is maximum 128 kbps on my Nokia 2730 handset on 3G. I confirm this, but when I put the same SIM in my HSPA 3G modem, I get 2 to 3 mbps.

Interestingly though : On the 2G network, the speed reached as high as 384 kbps when I was close to the tower of my operator (which leads me to think that it is a manufacturing error in which the 2G and 3G channels were switched by mistake unintentionally.

So I am restricted to 128 kbps on the 3G network and 384 kbps on the 2G network. Weird!

Taking my Nokia 2730 to the Nokia Service center to have the problem fixed soon.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
slash_2184

Hey, i am from bangladesh, i am facing the same problem, that is i get only 128kbps speed in 3G. What's the actual problem here? Isn't it suppose to be 384kbps?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

[ Edited ]

@slash_2184 where do you see that speed?

In Windows, there is a pop-up telling your about the COM speed. That is just a fake message and can be ignored, nevertheless, it can be increased …

Between the Internet and your computer, 150 kbit/s are actually very good! The 384 kbit/s are the speed between your phone and the network without any Internet protocols involved. As rule of thumb, in UMTS, you get half that speed as maximum throughput, the goodput …

Furthermore, there are several UMTS network configurations. Some network operators give only one ‘channel’ 64 kbit/s, some give two 128 kbit/s and only a few networks give you all (384 kbit/s). Finally, you have to differentiate between uplink and downlink. Again, there are deployed a lot of combinations out there, like 64/384 or 128/384 or 64/128. At the end, EGPRS (EDGE) could be faster.

If you want to use your phone as mobile data modem, consider to go for a phone with HSPA.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
antoKingston

In India, I am getting 128kbps in Vodafone 3G network but i get 384 kbps in another provider Aircel.
Please use plain text.