Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia 301: short battery life -> H icon always...

Counsellor
BramV

Nokia 301: short battery life -> H icon always on?

Hi I just got my new Nokia 301, and the battery is not holding out very long. I hardly use the phone, and internet says that the battery life on standby should be like a month (1000+ hours), but in a few days (maybe 2 and a half) it's empty.

Now I notice there is always a [h] icon on my phone, which seems to indicate it's online. But in the settings I made double sure that it is set to 'online only when needed'. 

Is my phone online the whole time and is that what I draining the battery so fast?

Or is that not a problem and is there just something wrong with my phone and/or battery?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Community Manager
poochini21

Re: Nokia 301: short battery life -> H icon always on?

Hi BramV,

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Nokia Support Discussions! :cathappy:

If you see the 'H' icon, it doesn't necessarily means that the phone isconstantly connected to the Internet since you set it to only use data connection if needed. It means that it's the strongest network available that the phone is able to pick up.

However, if you're experiencing battery issues, you may try troubleshooting the phone. 

1. Restart the phone. Don't forget to remove and replace the battery before restarting.

2. Restore the original settings. Go to 'Menu', and then 'Settings', select 'Restore Factory settings'

and then 'Settings only'. Type your lock code (default is 12345). This will not erase anything on the phone.

3. Update the phone software. Go to 'Menu', and then 'Settings' , select 'Phone' and click on 'Device updates' .

4. Clear the deviceThe steps are the same with restoring the original settings, but choose 'Restore all' instead of 'Settings only'. This will erase all the files in the phone and making a backup is advised.

To make a backup, go to 'Menu', and then 'Settings', and then 'Sync & backup'. Click on 'Create backup' and then hit 'Done'.

You may also try using another compatible charger to further isolate the issue.

Hope this information helps. :smileyhappy:

Cheers!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
BramV

Thank you for your reply. 

I restored the factory defaults, but when I tried to update the device software it sais I cannot download updates 'abroad' or in translated dutch "you  cannot download updates when you are in a foreign country'

I also noticed that when I set the dataplan to 'off when roaming' I NEVER have connection, even though I'm in the middle of the netherlands here on my own providers network.

What's going on?

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

BramV, which network operator do you use? Some are roaming even at home. Your Nokia is not able to differentiate this. Anyway, does this help?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mikk0

Hi I have noticed same problem with the short battery life. I think that the problem is related to the MicroSD card. When the card is removed the battery life works fine.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
BramV

My provider is Telfort.

I don't have a micro-SD card in my phone actually... so for me that cannot be the problem. IT seems to be holding out now I have turned data-roaming off. It's still at 3 bars after 1 night. But the specs say it can be on standby for over a MONTH, so I'm curious about how long it will hold out.

Still think/hope there is just something wrong with my phone and a new one would fix it...

Please use plain text.
Contributor
Mikk0

Same problem seems to be here also. I will return this phone to shop tomorrow.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

BramV, did you click on my (blue) link? Telfort and roaming is discussed here …

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
BramV

Thanks for the link, so it's a problem with Telfort, they don't have their own network and for some reason they can''t set KPN as their home network.

I'm not sure though if this has to do with battery life. Could it be that it does something different when roaming, compared to when not roaming. Does it keep looking for a home network over and over again or something like that? Becuase now I set roaming off, and I have no connection and the battery is still at 3 lines after a day and a half, seems to hold out longer, not sure how long yet.

However! One big problem: the nokia 301 WILL NOT update firmware when it's not on home network, so I CANNOT update my phone at all when I'm using Telfort?

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

With a computer, Microsoft Windows, and the Nokia Suite, you are able to upgrade your firmware. There you are able to reinstall your firmware as well, as a last resort.

No, this roaming stuff does not help with your battery issue. However, I already mentioned this …

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
BramV

[ Edited ]

The post you refer to is about being online all the time. While that may be an issue, it's not the same problem as always roaming. 

Also there are no downloads for the 301 on the nokia website, only the manual. Also I tried the connectivity driver, but that does not work (it still doesn't recognize the phone and also it doesn't seem to include any real program that I could use to update the phone),

finally, for nokia suite, the list of supported phones does not list the 301. I could try it anyways but probably won't work... and I can't download the beta version for some reason (no access)

So Nokia just decided it was not possible to interact with the 301 on the PC, but released the phone anyway? I really didn't expect all this, I was looking forward to buying the phone for a long time :smileysad: this is all very dissapointing...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

[ Edited ]

Stop, wait a minute. A draining battery indicates you have a problem with an app and I guess an app is online all the time. Roaming does not matter, when it comes to power consumption. That was your personal guess at start, too, do you remember? So please first go through those steps.

If those fail, how old is your SIM?

Which connectivity driver are you reffering to? You have to install the whole Nokia Suite. Because your model is rather new, you cannot use the older Nokia PC Suite anymore, I guess. Currently, the beta version – here you go – is the same release as the normal one, However, you might get updates in future, much faster. Do not get confused about the version. Although the beta release has a lower version, it is the same as the normal one; the difference: The beta is enabled to get beta updates, too.

Does the Nokia Suite work?

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
BramV

When I first used the phone I immediatly installed 2 mail accounts, and my facebook account. I also set the settings 'no connection when roaming' off so I could get online.

Now I have reset the phone to defaults and do not have anything installed, also I have no internet connection because of the 'no connection when roaming' settings being on (which is standard). My batter indicates half empty in 2.5 days after charging... still looks to me like it's draining way too fast. it's not caused by the internet connection this time. But it might also be that the battery indicater is not very accurate, I don't know yet how long it will hold until it's fully empty yet...

going to try the beta right now! thanks for the link

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

Well, it is not a good idea to reset before deleting the accounts manually. I had a similar problem, and did a reset too early. The best is to reinstall the firmware: Suite » Menu » Tools » Software Update » the text right blow your phone conatins a reinstall button.

Anyway: How old is your SIM. If the SIM is older than two years, it might went crazy as well.

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
BramV

Unfortunatly the beta version also doesn't work with the 301. It does say that the 301 is connecting but it is telling me it that I have to set it to PC Suite mode or something similar.

The options I have are SD-card, modem and sync/connect, but all three are not working...

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

Don't choose anything on the phone and wait for a while. The newer Nokia suite chooses the required selection automatically. So try waiting for 2-3 minutes if that helps.

About battery life, I'd say its normal. With a little more calibration, you'll be able to get over a week of juice, but not more. I don't care what Nokia says (forget those 30 day numbers), but it can't give anymore backup than that. Even those super dumb phones start dying in a week. So no chance of this going further. Do remember that battery backup is way lesser than the official numbers. Maybe Nokia needs explain about the conditions in which it lasted for a month.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
BramV

That doesnt work,  I'm affraid it's just not supported. I did leave it on doing nothing, it starts automatically in sync mode, but it just doesn't work with PC Suite... I also found the following post:

"

Product team response

Hi puffnbilly, unfortunately Nokia Suite will not support Nokia 301 phone. If you have further questions concerning Nokia 301, I recommend you to contact into Nokia Care or Nokia Discussions http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Asha-and-other-Nokia-Series-30/bd-p/phones

Cheers, Samuli
--
Samuli"

So I wonder what they had in mind for PC connectivity. I just can't imagine that you just 'cant' access the phone using your PC.

About the battery life. I did not expect it to make the full 30+ days that are promoted in standy, or the 20 hours of talk time, but I also refuse to believe so easy that is actually only 4 days (what it seems to me now) instead of 30. 

There must be SOME limit to how much companies can exaggerate about these things. And Nokia is a big company with a good name, so I doubt it will be as bad as you say.

It might be the problem with roaming, maybe the phone is trying extra hard all the time to find his home network (cause people on the border of countries don't like it if their phone is connecting to foreign networks) and that is draining the battery. Or still there could be something wrong with my phone or battery.

I will return the phone I have now and try a different one, see if the problem persists. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jayakishore

Hi, well your problem is in the h symbol. Cause internet connection uses much battery. And so make your h symbol is OFF. And may i know where did you buy that phone??? Cause in india it's not available yet.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Jayakishore

The best thing to make you h symbol off is to restart your phone. Cause the appearance of h symbol depends on both the phone and the sim card. Just remove your sim once and restart your phone.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

Ahh.. Bad Luck mate. Don't know why they're leaving the 301 as even little phones like my C1-01 is capable of connecting via the Nokia Suite.

Battery.. hehe.. you can try a different phone. But I'll stay with my words that it won't last any longer than a week. The issue can be the difference between the production quality of the test batteries manufactured in Finland during r&d and the bulk production later on.
Feeling so sad to say that Nokia isn't anymore the Nokia we've known since years :smileysad:

Good luck with your findings. Hope you can find out a 301 lasting for over 2 weeks. The calibration of new batteries also takes time and the optimum performance is only discovered after around 2-3 weeks of usage.
Please use plain text.