Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: S40 (6th edition) / Nokia 3710 - issues

Advisor
_Robb_

Nokia 3710 - issues

[ Edited ]

So my wife got a new phone (3710), her previous model was a 6131.

There are  issues between differences in the systems:
1) SMS - no possibility to categorize SMS's in folders
2) SMS - no possibility to make/use template SMS
3) Sound - old NOKIA sms signal missing.

4) Transfer between telephones (PC Suite) - this is little screwed up.

- Some old SMS's display information only about date/time instead of sender/receiver (which is able to see in the details)

- old SMS's have all lost there order. They should be organized by receive date, but they are all mixed up in random order.

- Contacts we think went through ok.

Today she told that she has another issue.

After discharging the phone and recharging for the first time (12 hours) yesterday, today it is acting strange at her workplace.

A [3G] icon is appearing and disappearing, and now the phone is saying it is almost discharged again. We can't find out what the [3G] icon means.

After less then 20 hours of usage this is difficult to believe (although we did use the Bluetooth intensively for file transfer yesterday).

--- EDIT ---

Ok so after turning 3G off, it now say's that half here battery is left.

--------------

Because she is going on a business trip she'd love to switch back to her old phone.

But there is the next problem:

We cannot remove the back cover! It's stuck!

Pressing in different types of ways and places doesn't bring any effect.

We bought this phone mainly because it was so similar to the old phone.

But the software looks like a complete new rewrite instead of an inprovement.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
Petrosian

Re: Nokia 3710 - issues

Can't help with other issues, but back removal I do know about. It's very difficult at first, although it gets easier. Put the phone down on a soft surface. Put two fingernails of one hand (you need the right length/strength!!) in the gap at the top and pull while pressing down as per the manual with the other hand. Merely pressing down and trying to slide doesn't work at first.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
_Robb_

S40 (6th edition) / Nokia 3710 - issues

More issues (S40 (6th edition) ):

5) Cannot set in SMS to use only english characters. This is a big issue because with local characters(Polish language) in the SMS it usually changes to double SMS which is extra cost.

6) Cannot multi-select SMS. Example: for mass deletion or other operations.

7) Hang and restart after activation of tracking in map application

8) We have set the map application to make a request, when starting up, if it should startup a data connection. BUT when we choose NO a [E] (E in square) appears during startup/update of location.

Compared to: Series 40 3rd Edition, Feature Pack 1, this is very disappointing.

If you find my post helpful please click the green star on the left under the avatar. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
_Robb_

[ Edited ]

More issues:

9) Cannot change the brightness of the screen

10) Cannot change  the delay after which the screen goes dark.

11) When using an application (from experience  whith Maps application) there should be an option in the application to not make the screen blank during use.

12)  In the calendar: When setting a reminder (for example yearly special event) after setting a beginng date, it is still necessary to set on which date (day and month) it is to repeat - this should be an option, not mandatory. (This applies also to daily, weekly and monthly) It's annoying to have to set this extra settings, when what is needed is already set.

:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
_Robb_

13) Cannot mark and make copy & paste.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
_Robb_

14) The "End call" (red button) stops reacting. Which means you can't switch off the phone, "quick" exit applications. End a call or any such thing.

To fix this we had reset the phone by removing the the battery (since there was a problem with removing the back cover, this was a difficult task. But by using three hands, where one pushed the cover from the direction of the camera and the other two were situated according to instruction, it could be done. But our fingers were sore.)

I'm told the button stopped reacting on earlier occasions without cause (during normal use).
I think this time the button stopped working after we connected and disconnected the phone with the (NOKIA original) CA-101 cable.

After disconnecting and trying to connect (multiple times) the cable again, the phone was not seen by computer. Only after restarting the phone was it possible to connect to the computer through PC Suite.

15) The default equalizer settings are too high.
To make the music and sounds, sound normal, the settings of the equalizer have to be brought all the way down - to minimum.
With default settings (in the middle) the sound is overdriven.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
_Robb_

[ Edited ]

16) When the keypad is locked, the "end call" button cannot end the call. Same with the "recieve call" button.

A phone can be locked during a conversation eg. having "lock phone" assigned to the "up" key, and then a conversation cannot be finished, unless you unlock the phone. Same with the "recieve call" button.

17) When wanting to begin a call by pressing the "recieve call"  button, it has an unusual behaviour (coming from an older version) - it displays all missed, recieved and made calls. In previous versions S40 it was only made calls.

This is annoying because usually very few persons are called, but many calls are recieved or missed, and they clutter up this list, which makes this button totally USELESS.

To dial to a missed call, the caller is called from  missed call which is displayed on screen. So missed calls shouldn't appear on this list.

Almost always when a called is recieved, we don't need to call back the callee, this also clutters up the list.

There should be an option whereby the user can configure which calls the user wants in this list (recieved/missed/called).

18)  The screen is configured with very large fonts and symbols. Considering that this has a 240x320 screen, much more information can fit on this screen by making the symbols and fonts smaller. But smaller fonsts cannot be selected.

Contacts has an option to use smaller fonts BUT you cannot choose small since it shows an a message that small fonts are unavailable in contacts.

In Configuration Display settings, there is also an option to select font size for the menu BUT this option is greyed out and only normal font is selected.

19) The phone has a quick switch to "Silent profile" option when "#" is pressed for a while.

This is a good option  BUT when the "#" is pressed again instead of returning to previously used profile it returns to the "General profile".

This should behave in the same way as setting "Timed" for a profile, which returns to previously used profile.

20) Rolling the list up & down behaves very strangely. Because the fonts are very large there is only  4 entries usually on the screen.

When scrolling down - From the first entry (which is a the top of the screen) the selection moves 3 entries (to second last entry) then with each scroll down it moves all the entries up, but the selection spot is still in the same place.

Similar when scrolling up.

The experience is terrible when you're scrolling down and have to scroll up some, then the selection moves up or down only one entry. This is confusing.

This type of movement makes sense only when there are more visible entries (>4) in the list.

---

Minor Translation error in Polish version UI -  When a recieved sms is read and you choose Options, in the english version it is Archive Msg. In polish it is From Archive.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
IanSeale

[ Edited ]

I agree entirely with _Robb_ who started this thread - I used to have a 6131 too and relcutantly 'upgraded' to a 3710 in January - See my Exchange with Nokia below - they really don't want to know.  I don't know what their interpretation of software testing or customer service is, but it 'aint the same as mine.

Olli, Alf,

I first approached Nokia in January, having identified a problem with the basic software on  the 3710 Fold phone, which I have just purchased.  As you can see from the correspondence below, getting someone in Nokia to deal with the problem (even getting someone to reply to me, or contact me) was not easy to say the least - in fact it was almost impossible.
It was until Ellie from Nokia Customer Service (notes of our conversations, below) contacted me - in this whole sorry saga, which still remains unresolved, and which has now become worse, as I will explain further, Ellie has been the only Nokia person or thing that has made me feel anything other than total disappointment.

Note:  Ellie from Nokia Customer Service rang today (15th March) - She got another Flip model out of stock (6600 Fold) -  the Message Folders feature works, and she offered to 'doorstep exchange it for my 3710 as a gesture.  I couldn't remember why I passed up on the 6600 Fold in the first place until I re-read the user-reviews - it is a lousy, unreliable phone.  I called Ellie and said I hadn't wanted a replacement phone, I wanted some from of acknowledgement from Nokia as to their mistake and for it to be rectified in the next Firmware upgrade.

Note:  Ellie from Nokia Customer Service rang today (12th March) - She got hold of a 3710 Fold out of stock, and it had the same problem - so it's the 3710 or, more likely, the software.  There is no plan to upgrade the firmware so we're screwed.  She now has authorisation to get another Flip model out of stock to try that, and it that works to call me on Monday with the view to offer it as a gesture.

Note:  Ellie from Nokia Customer Service rang today (11th March) - Getting hold of a 3710 Fold and trying page 27 and calling again tomorrow.

Note:  Ellie from Nokia Customer Service rang today (9th March) - calling again tomorrow.

I said the Software problem has got worse - it has.

My Nokia 3710 Fold (RM-509) was bought with 3.80 Software.  The problem with that Software, as I complained to Nokia back in January was that it failed to create Message Folders, a basic function, as in every single Nokia before it and, as according to the Handbook, that it should.

You can see from my exchange with Ellie (above) that I was expecting the problem to be fixed with the next Software revision for the phone.

On the 18th March I received a Text from Nokia and an e-mail from Nokia alerting me to their being a Software Update for my 3710.  Which I welcomed, as I expected that to solve the problem.

However, yesterday I backed up my 3710 using Nokia PC Suite, downloaded the latest Nokia Software Updater software,  updated the software on my phone (to 4.30), and re-instated my date from the back-up.

I now have even more problems with the 3710 Fold (RM-509) latest 4.30 software:

• The initial problem of there being no Message Folders, is still there, it's not been fixed.
  • The software update has removed the Ovi Store.
  • The software update has removed the Opera Mini-Browser
  • But the biggest problem, which will soon be getting masses of complaints about is with the Camera, or more to the point where Photos are stored and how they are viewed.
Under the old (3.80) software Photos taken by the Camera could be stored and viewed in My Photos.
Under the new (4.30) software Photos taken by the Camera are stored in Gallery/All Content/Images - the Thumbnail of the picture is visible, but one cannot view the picture - the phone returns the message 'No Photos to Display' - this happens with Photos transferred by PC Suite and with Photos taken by the Camera since the Software update.
If I try to take a picture with the Camera, after taking the picture, the phone immediately returns the message 'No Photos to Display'.

I would like someone to investigate the problems with this new 4.30 Software, and more importantly, someone to contact me about it.

Regards,

Ian
Ian Seale

Post edited by Nokia admin: I have removed the Nokia phone numbers from this post, as they are not meant to be used as direct contact numbers. To contact Nokia in the UK, always use the official Nokia Care number: +44 (0) 845 0455555. I also removed Ian's private contact details as our guidelines advise you not to post them on the forum. Best regards, vandelay

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Hi.

Well, it seems this thread has become quite long. I would like to inform you that this is a User-to-User support forum, meaning that we who try to help (usually with the names in other colors and with ranks beneath them) are actually not Nokia employees and just average Joe's like you. The thing is we have been using Nokia a lot and to some extent we have some slight knowledge of how the phone works and what the problem could be. This means that your posts which in reading seems to be directed at Nokia, would fall on deaf ears here as there is a rarity of Nokia employees in this forum.

I am sorry I cannot be of further help as I do not have a 3710 any s40v6 phone so I cannot try to recreate your problems to see fixes for it. 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
IanSeale

Hi,

I've directed Nokia to the issues here, and they confirmed that they saw this particular topic when I was on the phone to them.

Why wouldn't they monitor this forum?  Crikely, if I were a mobile phone manufacturere I'd want to here what the feedback was.  I'd be very surprised if they don't react to this.

Some other things wrong with what must be the least-tested, thrown together and rushed out software ever to have existed.

* Try to set 'Date' to show in home screen - you can set it, but it doesn't display.

* Browse to 'Themes' and whichever theme you highlight 'applies' automatically without you selecting 'apply' .

* Try to view the phone's reference  video - 'not enough memory'

* Try to view any stored photos - 'no photo to display'

* Try to select the basic phone theme - How?

* Select a music track and it just plays, the player doesn't pop up - you're stuck with the track until it finishes.

Christ, if Nokia doesn't sort this out, this 3710 will be the last Nokia I ever buy and I've used Nokias exclusively since the 1980s.  I've never know a manufacturer with such a good reputation plummet so badly and show utter contempt for it's customers.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
chanchan05

Actually, this was designed as a user-to-user forum, and that Nokia Moderators here are the only employees. Their job is to keep the place clean from profanity and all that. Sometimes they do escalate things to other departments, but mostly Nokia Employees here are from Ovi Development and hang around in the correct forum for that.

Just curious, your posts was so long that I missed it, do you have the phone on a contract from a provider? And do you have the latest firmware?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
JeMaRo

Hi _Robb_

I have a one week old Nokia 3710 fold (RM-509, firmvare version 3.80) and I am experiencing the exact same problem as you describe in poin14, The "End call" (red button) stops reacting.

Have you found any solutions to this problem? Should I take it back to the dealer and send it to maintenance? That always seems to take ages and doesn't always seem to fix the problem... Any suggestions on what I should do?

Please use plain text.
Advisor
_Robb_

[ Edited ]

To me this looks like a software issue.

So in my opinion they won't be able to do much.

If you read after the problem description, I gave a solution:

To fix this we had reset the phone by removing the the battery.

Hope this works for you.

EDIT: You could also try to update the firmware.

Thanks to Ian for pointing out there is newer firmware.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
IanSeale

chanchan05

The 3710 was bought outright, SIM-free, for use on O2 pay-and-go.

I described the software/firmware in my post - it had problems on the software supplied and they got worse when it was updated to the latest software, last Friday.

Ian

Please use plain text.
Advisor
IanSeale

UPDATE: Latest Message to Nokia Customer Service Helpdesk

Just to confirm the additional problems relating to the software on the Nokia 3710 fold (4.30 firmware).

As part of the diagnostic process, I tried connecting the 3710 to an XP machine  (having previously backed it up, software upgraded and re-installed on a Vista machine).
The 3710 'connects' on an XP machine, but it cannot sync Messages, Contacts or Photos (in OVI) - strangely it does sync Music - also it cannot 'back-up' in OVI - the OVI software recognises the 3701 as connected, but cannot transfer or back-up data.
It is the same problem using Nokia PC Suite - the 3710 shows as connected, but cannot be backed up, and the phone contents cannot be displayed - even though the software recognises the phone as 'connected'.
I tried connecting my old 6131 to the XP machine and PC Suite recognised it immediately, the phone performed a syncronisation without prompting and I was able to view Contacts, Messages (including my Message Folders), Photos and Music (Ringtones) - the 6131 could also be Backed-Up with PC suite on the XP machine.

OK, so thats another problem to add to the list - the 3710 (S40 Firmware 4.3) software is badly written and doesn't function in many areas, and I've now found that it doesn't work with a Windows XP Machine - even though it should.
Please use plain text.
sorrytoo

IanSeale wrote:

UPDATE: Latest Message to Nokia Customer Service Helpdesk

Just to confirm the additional problems relating to the software on the Nokia 3710 fold (4.30 firmware).

As part of the diagnostic process, I tried connecting the 3710 to an XP machine  (having previously backed it up, software upgraded and re-installed on a Vista machine).
The 3710 'connects' on an XP machine, but it cannot sync Messages, Contacts or Photos (in OVI) - strangely it does sync Music - also it cannot 'back-up' in OVI - the OVI software recognises the 3701 as connected, but cannot transfer or back-up data.
It is the same problem using Nokia PC Suite - the 3710 shows as connected, but cannot be backed up, and the phone contents cannot be displayed - even though the software recognises the phone as 'connected'.
I tried connecting my old 6131 to the XP machine and PC Suite recognised it immediately, the phone performed a syncronisation without prompting and I was able to view Contacts, Messages (including my Message Folders), Photos and Music (Ringtones) - the 6131 could also be Backed-Up with PC suite on the XP machine.

OK, so thats another problem to add to the list - the 3710 (S40 Firmware 4.3) software is badly written and doesn't function in many areas, and I've now found that it doesn't work with a Windows XP Machine - even though it should.

Hi Ian.

Though I properly sits in at different county than you, I have experience exactly the same as you.

I Bought a 3710 in jan. 2010 to replace my old 6131. I had several difficulties with the messages as you. In feb it was sent through my provider to a care-center fore upgrade of the software. Didn't help. Then I wrote together with Nokia's Customs and Care-department, I they suggested that I took contact to Nokia's Complaints and repair department, Which I did. They wanted to have my mobile sent to them, and after 6 weeks, I got the phone back, with no marks or notice of any kind. In the meanwhile, I had been contacted by Nokia's customs and care-department, though they didn't have my mobile, they had studied the matter, I they concluded that the model 3710 didn't have these Features, and it was a defects, their best solution was that the provider should offer me another model instead. The Provider  wouldn't offer me another model as they thought is was Nokia's problem and that they should offer me another.

Then I was back to talking with Nokia's Complaint.dep. Now the date was April t. 15, and again the employee would studies and discuss it with other employee and see what solution they could find. He did though admit that it was an defect and that other had complained, but still he would like to investigate further more. From time to time he contacted me, not that he had find any solution yet, but maybe If I did this or that with the mobile it would help. So today my patience was spent, I have delivered the mobile back to the provider, and they can struggle with Nokia, not me anymore. I have had the mobile since mid jan but since feb it has either been at Nokia's one department or the other. Not satisfactory at all.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Petrosian

S40 (6th edition) / Nokia 3710 - Red Button Problem

(Firmware 3.80) The only way I've found of fixing the red button not working problem is to remove the back and then remove the battery. When you put it back, the phone will have 'reset' and will be ok – until the next time it happens! The evidence seems to be that it's better not to update to the 4.30 firmware.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
jefferio

Re: S40 (6th edition) / Nokia 3710 - Red Button Problem

please for the love of god whoever has this phone and is contemplating going for latest firmware, DONT!!!! I've never known or heard of anything like this before. Firmware upgrade destroying a phone!

Please use plain text.
tizzwoz

Hi,

Same issue here, photos don't get saved (well, I found out via PC Suite that they do but I can't view them on the phone so pointless), my functions have disappeared, no themes, wallpapers, ringtones and God knows what else is gone since I was advised by Nokia to update the software yesterday.

If they can't fix this, this will be my last Nokia.

Please use plain text.
ruidos

Exactly the same happens to my 3710 fold after upgrading from 4.30 to 4.35 with MicroSD inside and restoring backup in the process using lastest NSU.

But, I manage to solve it by upgrading again the same firmware (4.35)  flashing it without memory card and NO restoring... voila! it works fine after flash & restart! everything works as supposed to... (at least as in 4.30)

After that I put microSD inside and restore just the contacts (I don't need the sms, but it's possible but they become disordered by date)

Try it, I'll be happy it this works fine too in your phones :-) (if not, I'm sorry, I was lucky :smileyfrustrated:)

Please use plain text.