Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia 5800 touch screen problem.

Accepted Solution

Nokia 5800 touch screen problem.

I've only had this phone since Saturday but have noticed that it doesn't like being turned on for a long time. After a few hours, when you try to unlock it, the touch screen stay locked and you can't press anything but the call, menu and end buttons still do. I've found that turning the phone off then back on again solves it, but it's VERY annoying having to do that every single day. Any way to fix it, or is it just a case of waiting for Nokia to fix it in a firmware update?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Re: Nokia 5800 touch screen problem.

I've never had that problem with mine.

Did you get yours SIM-free and unbranded or did you get it from an operator?

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.

It was as an upgrade, I'm on a contract with T-Mobile and I got it from one of their stores.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

That could be the problem. Operators have a habit of messing phones' firmware up when they do their branding.

One thing you can try is to reset the phone to see if that helps.

Use PC Suite or OVI Suite to back up any content of yours on the phone (but NOT the settings, they can be the problem).

Dial the number *#7370# and supply the security code when prompted (it'll be the default 12345 unless you've changed it).

The phone will restart having been wiped clean.

If you had more than 20 messages in your sent items then go into the messaging application, then Options > Settings > Other, and set "Number of saved msgs." to something bigger than the number of messages you had in there. If you don't then the phone will discard all but the last 20 messages.

Use PC Suite or OVI suite to restore your data.

If that still doesn't solve the problem then you might want to take the phone back to the place you got it.

Now read this page: /discussions/board/message?board.id=topfaq&thread.id=114

Was this post helpful? If so, please click on the white "Kudos!" star below. Thank you!

Please use plain text.

OK, I'll try that when I get home from work - thanks for your fast reply, too. Hopefully it should sort it out.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

No problem. Good luck with that :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.

I did everything you suggested and so far it's behaving itself. Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
grschinon

Glad to hear it :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hello everybody, unfortunatelly i experienced same problems with my 5800 and the most annoying thing is that when i turn on my phone, some times the touch screen stop responding and the only buttons that i can press are the green one, the red one and the switch on/off . I must point the fact that this problem does not persist any time when i'm turning my phone on, but only some times. (from 10 restarts i may get 1 or 2 touch screen problems) . Another thing that i want to mention is that i have the last firmware (v.30 from 29 of june) and the phone had preinstalled the v.20 from factory. (i bought it about 2 weeks ago). If is someone here that could help me i would be gracefull to him . :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hello,

I have another problem... 

I used my 5800 as mass storage to transfer a file. After i transfered the file to a computer my phone stoped working.

I removeded it corectley from the pc using safeley remove device and now the dialing pad dose not work neither the shortcut to my agenda. Neither the green button whish you press to see your latest calls without entering the menu and check in Logs... 

Can anyone please help me with this ? It is possible to got a virus from that pc ? 

I reinstaled the software of my phone but nothing changed... 

Please help me on this if you know anything that might work.

Thank you.

Ivo

Please use plain text.

Yes I too have been facing similar problems on my Nokia 5800 but that has occured after 6 mths of use of the hand set. I guess it may be due to some hardware problem or 'dust' on the circuit board. I have uet to go and show it to the Nokia Care guys. But there is some strange association that I have seen in this situation and i.e. the problem occures more during the colder months. Does low ambient temperature have anything to do with the functioning of the touch screen?
Please use plain text.
Contributor

1> I connected 5800 to PC using massmemory mode, and the next thing I saw was that all icons of apps installed in memory card were gone. This phone should not be used in this mode till Nokia comes out with a firmware upgrade.

2>  I would like to know how to clear out junk from phone memory. The files downloaded for installing are stored or are they deleted after installation?

Please use plain text.

I have the same problems, the dialing pad dose not work neither the green button whish you press to see your latest calls without entering the menu and check in Logs...

Also the red button.

Can anyone please help me with this ? It is possible to got a virus from that pc ?

I reinstaled the software of my phone but nothing changed...

Please help me on this if you know anything that might work.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I bought 5800 from US couple of months ago and continued to use in India after returning back. Recently I started getting problems with my touch screen. Most of the times it doesnt repond at all. As someone mentioned above except the green/red/white  buttons the touch seldom works. The other infuriating thing is when a call comes the device starts vibrating and none of the buttons - soft or regular works.

I faced similar issues with my old N70 as well and it is disappoting to see the similar problem in the latest models too.

I took my mobile to Nokia care and as expected they dint accept the US warranty. I wish at least nokia should provide international warranty for middle to high end phones. 

They said the hardware is intact and they need to update the software and after 2 days informed that they are not able to update the software as the mother board doesnt accept and they cant do anything with it .Really really strange answer. But they referred some dealer who may help me. It is shocking to realise that there is something which the nokia care is not able to provide but a dealer is.

Now it is with some local dealer and thats my last home. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hey i have had my phone for a couple of months now i updated the software today and on the homepage you cant click- the dialler, the contacts button or the green buttons pls help i have tried to reset to factory but does not work thx
Please use plain text.

you r not alone, same problem for me too! i have tried to save the reset number *#7370# as a contact  and call the created contact but i get the error message "request not completed"!

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

You don't need to create a contact.

You bring up the dialpad... and once you have the dial pad, you just type *#7370#

Same place as you would type *#0000# to get the software version of your phone... or *#06# to get the IMEI.

Please use plain text.

i have managed to get the dial screen to be able to factory reset my phone.

1- First i uninstalled all recently installed applications on my phone especially those apps that may use the green button

2- back your phone except the setting

3- click on the middle “white” button and then press the green button, the dial screen should appear!:smileyhappy: dial the *#7370# and accept to reset your phone!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

XARXES - thank you very much, I have tried everything, before I saw your post; but nothing worked! You have saved my life! THANKS
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
jamiedeath

i turned my phone on this morning and the screen was working fine. i went on a walk and i put my music on. i unlocked the phone and tried to change song but it wouldnt allow it. i switched it off and it did the same again.

Any Advice???

Cheers

Please use plain text.