Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia 6110 Navigator - no Message Alert sound

Registered Member
aussieaviator

Nokia 6110 Navigator - no Message Alert sound

I have been using a Nokia 6110 Navigator for well over five months now, without any serious issues. For some reason, the phone will not sound an audible alert when I receive an SMS, nor will it display the SMS message icon in the upper region of the main screen. This has only occured within the last week.

I have checked all phone settings and cannot seem to find how to rectify this problem?

I have also removed the battery and re-inserted it.

The phone is using the latest firmware: 3.15

Also, how can I delete multiple saved SMS messages in one hit - instead of having to delete over 2000 of them individually !?
Graham
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aussieaviator

Re: Nokia 6110 Navigator - no Message Alert sound

Anyone ??

Help needed please.
Graham
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi aussieaviator

Perhaps the message folder is getting a bit full now.

You have to "mark" the messages you want to delete, you can find them when you select option. If you want to delete all of them, there is an option where you can select "mark all" then delete.

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Professor
kamenlitchev

You can either use the Options -> Mark or you can use the Edit/Pencil combination to mark some messages, then use C to delete. The Edit/Pencil combinations are:

While holding Edit/Pencil key (same as Ctrl key in Windows Explorer):
- Press center navigation button to mark/unmark single message without loosing selection from other marked messages

OR

- Press navigation key up/down to consequently mark items
Ericsson T10i -> Nokia 7110 -> Siemens C45, C55, M55, M65 -> Nokia 6131, N73, N82 -> HTC Wildfire, Desire HD -> Nokia Lumia 800 -> HTC Desire X -> Lumia 820 -> Sony Xperia SP -> Lumia 925 + Sennheiser CX 500
If I've helped, use the Kudos button to thank
:smileywink:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aussieaviator

Thanks to both of guys for your assistance.

I have successfully deleted nearly 3000 SMS messages; however, I still cannot get the SMS message audio alert to sound ? I have tried everything and still no success.
Graham
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

IM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM!
for about the last week, no message alert tone or main screen notification. ive had my phone for about 8 months.

ive tried to reset to factory settings but that doesnt do anything.

help?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
cjlim

Have you checked to make sure that message alert is not disabled in your profile settings?

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

i have found the soloution!
it's actually here in another diuscussion topic which I think was relating to the N93.
All you have to do is perform a firmware update. Download the software updater through Nokia site, then back up your data with PCSuite. it warned me about backing up all my files, but in the end it turned out I didnt need to anyway, the phone contents and settings were exactly the same (for me) after the update but with the message alert back to normal. it might help to back up in any case to be sure.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

This has happened to me also. I went to try and download the update and it didn't recognise my mobile?
Does this mean im stuck with this issue?
Ive done everything else.

Very annoying
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

04-Oct-2008 08:03 AM
jmorse wrote:
I went to try and download the update and it didn't recognise my mobile?

Hi jmorse

Unfortunately 6110 Navigator has been temporarily removed from models available in Nokia Software Updater since 25th September 2008, see News here for details:

http://europe.nokia.com/A4577225

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

My 6110 has just started to do the same thing. No message alert tone or display on screen. Only way I can see a new text is to go into the Inbox which is very annoying. Checked all settings and even swapped SIMs to confirm it is the handset. Not sure how to do a firmware update or even if this will fix it. Did anyone get a fix for this ?
Please use plain text.
Contributor

I am having the same issue with my nokia n97 which is brand new.  But its intermittent.  Sometimes it works fine and then other days it does as you guys have described.  I will go into my inbox and see that I have 5 new messages!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
BroadSword

I know it is a long time since this is posted, but this issue was fixed for me this way.

Now I'm not quite sure whether it was a sim problem or phone.

But what happened is that I swapped sim cards with another phone.

And when I swapped them back, the message alert & tone was working again.

Go figure...

Please use plain text.