Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia 6300 Firmware update online

Counsellor

Nokia 6300 Firmware update online

hi chaps,

I'm trying to use the "online" update of the firmware for the 6300. I have gprs connection working fine and can browse the web no problems. Every time I try to connect to the nokia download site using the "download updates" menu I get "cannot establish connection".

Has anyone used this service ?
How reliable is it ?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Re: Nokia 6300 Firmware update online

Hi darcym

You're brave using FOTA + cost implications!

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

not sure what FOTA is ??
Cost implications ??

Could you be a little clearer please.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Hi darcym

FOTA = Free Over The Air

A software update for phone is a considerable number of Mb in size. If you are paying for a GPRS data download of this size, it won't be cheap, plus risk of connection dropping half-way through!

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Counsellor

thats fair comment, althought the price is not terrible.

I can't find an online resource that hosts the latest firmware for the 6300 to download and flash to make sure I'm up to date.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
g00gle

nokia's best 6230i

fota = firmware over the air
what's bravery got to do with gprs??? it's all 'bout money...if you have the bucks you get the service.
be precise or keep shut
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
g00gle

nokia's best 6230i

as for the risk of connection part...only after the phone has downloaded the entire update will it start installing it...if the connection is lost midway, you just have to start all over again.
be precise or keep shut
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
g00gle

nokia's best...6230i

btw, the 6300 cannot be updated over the air...the 6131 is the only nokia phone which can be updated over the air.
be precise or keep shut
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
android

Re: nokia's best...6230i

if for any reason the installation is disrupted in any part of it...one's phone is inoperable!

Knowledge not shared is knowledge wasted!

If you find it helpfull, it's not hard to click the STAR..

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
g00gle

nokia's best...6230i

the phone anyways cannot be used during installation of the downloaded firmware, so where's the question of any interruption during installation???
be precise or keep shut
Please use plain text.
Sage
paulroux

Re: nokia's best...6230i

I have upgraded my 6233 to 4.91 last year using the phone itself as dial-up connection. I exited PC Suite, connected the phone, dailed *99# and opened Nokia Software Updater.

It did everything as it normally does (downloaded at 20kb/s over an EDGE connection) and then turned the phone off (internet connection closed) and flashed it - successfuly !.

Everything worked like a dream. I know this is not FOTA since I needed a PC to do the flash, but it is the next closest thing ;-)
Please use plain text.

yes i have upgraded my phone to firmware 4.70 and i dont no ,how use full it is.you should connect your phone to charger and your pc should have 256 mb of ram . i upgraded this way. i was in a hope that i can i open phone book with even seccond name also .
Please use plain text.