Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia 6500 Classic - Charging problem after batter...

Nokia 6500 Classic - Charging problem after battery is empty - serial batch problem

Hi,

I have recently received a Nokia 6500 classic which worked quite ok apart from the following problem:

As long as there is still some energy in the battery - the phone will charge well.

However - if the battery runs completely out until the phone shuts off - the phone will not charge again. Connecting the charger does not charge the phone and the charger emits a high frequency continuos "beeeeeeeeep" tone.

The USB cable will also not work.

I have replaced the phone within 48 hours and received a completely new 6500 Classic with exactly the same problem which leads me to suspect that this is a batch problem.

The phone battery does not last for long which means that many times you will find yourself stretching the battery all the way till its flat.

Any solution to the problem?
Please use plain text.
Professor
navigator

Re: Nokia 6500 Classic - Charging problem after battery is empty - serial batch problem

this particular unit takes upto 15 minutes before charging indication is shown if the battery is completely flat and this is because the phone has another option as usb charging.and the phone gives first priority to battery then the display indication as compared to other phones.best is to use charger like ac-6.USB is not recommended.cheers.:smileyhappy:
tongue is too confused on what to speak
Please use plain text.

Re: Nokia 6500 Classic - Charging problem after battery is empty - serial batch problem

Are you sure? where did you get this information?

I actually used an AC-6 - which emitted very strange high frequency noise when the battery was flat.

Also, I did let it charge for about 30 minutes and nothing was display nor did the phone turn on with or without the charger in the phone. What do you think?
Please use plain text.
Professor
navigator

dear i told u as earlier this is this phone functionality because it supports USB charging so nothing will come on screen.ou can check with Nokia Care Centre also if you want.cheers.:smileyhappy:
tongue is too confused on what to speak
Please use plain text.

16-Jan-2008 07:45 AM
navigator wrote:
dear i told u as earlier this is this phone functionality because it supports USB charging so nothing will come on screen.ou can check with Nokia Care Centre also if you want.cheers.:smileyhappy:

That's a pretty patronising reply and it's also completely unhelpful. I bought a classic in November and liked it enough at first to buy my husband one as well for Christmas. Mine charges exactly as described taking a while to show the battery charging screen, but the newer phone was tricky to charge from the outset and this weekend refused to charge completely leaving my husband stuck in the West Country starting out on a round of client visiting with no phone. It is completely dead - you can leave it charging on its proper mains charger as long as you like and nothing happens.

Furthermore this model has problems with its software. If you get a missed call then every so often the phone crashes and you have to take the battery out, put it in again, then turn the phone on and sometimes you even have to enter the time and date again. Last time it happened I was meant to be meeting my young children at the park and they couldn't contact me because my phone had packed up.

All in all, a beautiful phone but it doesn't work too well. And the sound quality is really bad (I'm told because it's so thin) and the battery is short-lived (same reason) unless you turn off bluetooth etc. Not the best money I ever spent.

And I don't think it's a batch problem either as you can find lots of people posting on this discussion site with the same problem right from when the phone launched.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
realredfox

I just discovered this post after looking for "6500 charging problem" after I fully depleted my battery today... I connected it and noticed a high frequency sound coming out of the charger which I didn't hear before... also I tried to switch my phone on, because I thought, since it's connected to the charger it should immediatly run... well it didn't switch on and the strange sound persisted... usb didn't seem to work too... after reading this thread I just let it "charge" on the charger minutes and voila, after like 10-15 minutes the screen switched on and it showed the charging symbol...

phew ;-)

So this seems just to be the normal, even if strange, behaviour.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have the same prob with my nokia 6500, after a missed call it crashes and you have to take batt out and restart...its a complete nightmare! does anyone have any miracle cures!
Please use plain text.

I am also experiencing difficulty (in general, but more with recharging and holding any power) with my 6500 classic.

And this is the second one I have had. About 3 days ago, after the battery ran flat yet again, I charged it on the full power AC charger for a few hours (2 or 3) only to find the battery had only increased to 1/3 power. I figured it was yet another software fault, so switched it off, removed the battery, placed the battery back in and switched it on, all to no avail.

Since then I have tried to download newer firmware, I had the latest version, which incidentally triplicated my contacts), have restored the unit to factory settings and have had to resort to having it plugged in constantly, as after one phone call, I get the low battery warning.

I don’t use it to play music, I don’t use the camera, I use it as a phone. I have the screen saver turned off, the power saver turned on and only have Bluetooth active when I’m in my car, to connect to the hands free kit.

Is this battery or phone problem? Am I likely to get assistance from Nokia or my phone company? Should I cut my losses and get something that actually works?

On a side note, this is a horrible phone in my opinion. Whilst I will admit it was naive of me to believe that I could get "5.5 hours of talk time and 16 days of standby" from such a slim phone, I barley got 2 hours of talk time from this. The phone is less than 8 months old (or seven, or 6 as it's the second phone) and I'd consider never using another Nokia, even though I have been a convert (I never used to like them) for the last 4 years.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I apologise for the rant I am just frustrated.
Please use plain text.

It just cut out whilst I was on a call.

And it was plugged in "Charging" (that's what the screen said).
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I need help.

I have had my 6500c for a couple of years and I love it. However my battery is a nightmare.

I have bought a new one, and also bought a charger adapter so I can charge it from my AC-3X nokia charger, as the 6500 charger made a funny hum so I threw it away.

However now it only randomly accepts a charge, and last night I charged it all night and it showed fulkl in monring, and as soon as i unplugged charger it showed low battery, then ran out totally and switched off 2 hours later (with no calls made)

HELP!

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
RUKIA

I had the same problems as well and it was really annoying but still i loved that mobile. The solution to my problem was just to change the battery. It helped a lot as the battery lasts longer than the original one. As for the charger i haven't changed it so i am still having the same problem with it.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Technical Expert (retired)

Hi x4p3gsu ,

Please try to reflash your phone with the latest phone software. (depending on the sales areas and variant the latest sw version is 9.48).

Please remember to back up your phone before flashing.

http://europe.nokia.com/support/download-software/device-software-update#

I hope this helps.

Br

Mahayv

Please use plain text.
Advisor

I realise this is an old thread, but I am still having this problem.  I tried to flash my phone (reinstall Ovi says, is that the same as 'flash'?) but it won't reinstall the software unless the phone is fully charged. 

Now, would you like to all pause for a minute as we take in this exquisite situation...

My phone won't charge.

To make it charge, you have to re-install the software.

You can't re-install the software unless the phone if fully charged.

Oh my, stop.  My sides are hurting. 

Please use plain text.
kurt31

I used a Nokia 6500 Classic for about 1.5 years without problems. Then sometimes the battery did not charge anymore. The display indicated that the battery was charging. But even after charging several hours the battery was not recharged at all. Problem was the same with both the original AC-6E mobile phone charger and CA-101 Connectivity Cable (Micro USB).

This looked like a classical battery problem. But most surprisingly was not. I bought a new original battery BL-6P and hoped that was it. But to my astonishment I had the very same problem with the new battery!

I also restored factory settings with deleting existing data, refreshed software (09.45), updated the software to 09.48 (because phone was branded a change of product code was needed for that). For updating phone software a battery charged by about 20% was enough. I also cleaned battery contacts and applied contact spray.

All this did not help - the problem still persisted and got worse over time. Finally I had to buy a new phone as I could not recharge the battery anymore at all!!! I guess the internal battery charger is defect and it’s not a software problem.

Please use plain text.
leboucher

I have a 6500 Classic - within its limitations a fun phone to use.

This is an old thread but I thought I'd add my experiences. I recently bought a few CA 101 cables because I had lost the cable supplied with my phone. The new cables are much longer than the one I had originally but appear to be genuine Nokia cables.

I connected my phone to various PC's and got the "no charging" problem although data connectivity was fine. I also got an inane message about the advantage of using a Hi-speed USB ports which seems like nonsense because the port which I was using was a Hi-speed USB port.

After quite a bit of heart ache I found:

1. Taking out the battery and reinstalling it makes the message go away - at least temporarily.

2. However the more substantive "solution" is that the problem disappears if the phone is already quite well charged. At least the message disappears and the phone's charging indicator is moving along nicely. Whether the phone is actually charging is another matter.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Anjumgrafix

Dear all only 1 single solution of nokia 6500c charging is buy a new nokia bettery and new nokia AC-100 charger your all sorrow sound will finished.

Please use plain text.