Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Asha 306 Wifi and internet options

Prim57

Nokia Asha 306 Wifi and internet options

I have searched this forum for answers but have not found any so post this here. I know the Asha 306 is not a top notch phone from Nokia, but it is still a good phone and I like it a lot. I bought it as an introductory smart phone, as I want to learn to use it before I go into more expensive models. I will list some problems I have had recently, not to criticise the phone or Nokia, only to name some problems that I can't explain. I admit some of this may be because of my ignorance ans so I apologize beforehand. But it would not surprise me if other people have had similar problems. I bought my first Nokia cell phone back in 1998 so I am not a new customer, by the way.

First thing. I was glad to get a cell phone with Wifi, as this is cheaper than using a subscription internet service. I have access to free Wifi, so planned to use this in the daytime but then use a prepaid package at night or when travelling. To make a long story short, I adjusted my cell phone in such a way that it would prefer a Wifi network wherever possible, and then only go to the internet provider in case the Wifi did not work or if I did not have a password for the Wifi. This, it seems to me, has not been possible. When adjusting the settings in this way, the phone will simply not contact with the Wifi network. I had to turn the Wifi off before I could access the internet again using my prepaid package.

Could a part of the problem be that my Wifi provider requests people to log onto the Wifi with a password every time? I used the password but the phone does not seem to remember it, even though the settings are set to remember password.

Second, the Nokia OVI suite does not work for me. I downloaded it and then connected the cell phone, first by bluetooth and then by cable, nothing works. I thing this is a serious issue. I remember from past years, like five to eight years ago, that this was a recirrent problem with the Nokia phones I had then. I want to make a backup of my data for safety purposes. Since I can't use the Ovi suite, I have resorted to back up my data by copying the phone numbers and contact onto another cell phone thatI keep as a reserve in case my new phone gets lost.

To return to the original problem, I think it very important that a cell phone will operate on a Wifi network without problems in order to save money. There are considerable costs involved for many people to browse the internet a lot. Therefore, the Wifi option is very important.

Thank you for your patience. I still think this is a great phone and very good value for money, perhaps the best value for the money on the whole mobile phone market. 

Please use plain text.