Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Nokia Asha Platform in Nokia Asha 311

Advisor
DwiCahyaN
Accepted Solution

Nokia Asha Platform in Nokia Asha 311

Hello, does Nokia Asha Platform will available be update for Nokia Asha 311?
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
yasfer21

You probably did not watch the webcast.

It is only for Asha 501 and future phones.
Please use plain text.
Sage
JonathanMR

if only for news asha, when the f.... update for the asha311
Please use plain text.
Contributor
doshirushab

can v know wen v vl b getting update for asha 311 ????

It really needs an Update as it hangs at times and also lacks features like Copy Paste , Multiple selection in log list ,etc ... All these features wer available in earlier s40 series phone bt not in Asha311 being a smartphone it does not have ....

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

There's no point that Asha 311 will be supported by the new Asha Platform. It is a DP1 device and will remain the same.
I do think that Nokia can provide a bit of updates to this. As its one of the high specification Nokia asha phones and could've supported more advanced functionality. But as they say it, its never good from business point of view. For the price we paid for this phone, it is already worth it. If Nokia still intends to sell Nokia 311 in the future months, then maybe there can be a hope.

@Doshirushab: As the DP1 platform already sounds to be retiring, i don't think Nokia will work on to include those features into these phones. No matter how they advertise, its still a feature phone with smart-like features. I think we're not gonna get anything more than a few bug fixes, that too maybe :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Sage
JonathanMR

I dont know what expect with this... :/ im with singhnsk maybe Nokia drop the DP1 :smileysad: Nokia should say something about this....
Please use plain text.
Advisor
DwiCahyaN

I feel jealous, because at the same price, but the Asha 311 is based on Java :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

^ I don't know what you meant. Asha 501 is also a java phone :/

This is almost around an year after the launch of Asha 311. So nothing to be jealous about. Things evolve everyday. Better is to not look at what's new in the market if you aren't ready to purchase it :smileyvery-happy:

If asha 311 is updated, we'll be just so very lucky.

All is wish is that somehow Fast Lane should be ported to 311.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
DwiCahyaN

I know that the Nokia Asha 311 is already using the new operating system, the Nokia Asha Platform, Not Java S40 Platform
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

Aww? No it isn't.
Nokia 311 is running on the Nokia s40 OS under the Nokia Developer Platform 1.0
Whereas Nokia 501 will be using the Nokia Asha Software Platform (ASP 1.0) which has been developed over the smarterphone platform that Nokia acquired some years ago.

Although the looks can be same, the internal coding of both will remain deferent. Also, the price at which 311 was sold, its hard for Nokia to keep supporting this old device and give it such big software updates. But Nokia is the king and lets see what the end result will be :smileyvery-happy:

Closing - Asha Software Platform is also S40, just a bit more polished. It will still remain a java only OS :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
Sage
JonathanMR

Come on armagon say something about this! :smileyhappy: the asha 311 or others asha can update to new asha OS? Or just tell me if the 311 update to fix all of these things(no copy&paste,manual brightness, bug resets) or nokia just abandon the old tactiles asha? :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
DwiCahyaN

@singhsnk: Sorry, I mean the Nokia Asha 501,
Please use plain text.
Advisor
DwiCahyaN

The core of my question the same as the JonathanMR's question
Please use plain text.
Sage
JonathanMR

i search in "engadget" and a post say they ask about this to Jussi Nevanlinna,boss of marketing of the gama Mobile Phones de Nokia, say: current Nokia Asha touch devices can not be upgraded to the new platform Nokia Asha, its this true, why? like wp7.8 :smileysad: thats not cool Nokia! :/
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

@Jonathan: Hey mate the price at which these old asha phones were sold won't make it easy for Nokia to keep supporting it for so long.
Copy paste is very hard to be come and I'd say it just won't come with any update. Brightness controller can come, but that's also with a little chance :smileysad:. However i do expect atleast one update will be pushed which will fix some of the bugs and crashing. Thought it is a 128mb phone, the system doesn't seem to be making use of all the ram.

As both the devices are running a different software platform, there's a good chance the the hardware used is new asha phones will be different than the older.

In simple words, the price paid for these feature phones isn't enough for a long time support and major future updates. That's the case with every feature phone in this world and with every <10k phone.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

As Singhnsk has stated several times now, it is not going to happen, they are two completely different software platforms. If you like the look of the new 501, then go out and buy it. No amount of huffing and puffing is going to change this fact.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Sage
Aniefiok

Is it true that the new asha 501 will support multitasking?
Nokia is the best!!!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

@Aniefiok: No true multitasking, but the apps can join in to your present list in your Fast Lane when you swipe them away and you can relaunch it from there. Some apps if properly developed (like xpress browser) can run in background by saving their state before closing.

Trust me, if you aren't going for a Chinese phone, no other phone under ₹7-8k supports any kind of multitasking. You just get a feel of multitasking on those galaxies, but there isn't any real multtasking.
Please use plain text.
Sage
Aniefiok

Thanks for the reply.
Nokia is the best!!!
Please use plain text.
Sage
JonathanMR

[ Edited ]

@singhnsk i know what u say with the little support cheaper phones, but what about the Nokia X3-02 Released 2010, September, they update the last year on october and other old phones, 2 years of support and u say a new phone with less a year selling, no more support? is crazy bro! D: And what about the asha 310 Released 2013, March(and others), then no more support to him? Because is the same OS of the asha 311.

Nokia need to release a update with fixed hangs, bugs, Brightness controller and a copy&paste option because the asha 310 release so soon and the 311 have less than a year selling, this is annoying :/

adrianhughes: if I had money to be changing phone, you think I would have bought this? noo I bought this because I have not much money and it trusts its new Nokia Asha (means Hope) thinking they were going to give good support as always and more now that they are classified as "smartphone".But no...Nokia drop this OS and dont care these consumers

This could have generated a lot of confidence in consumers with ours asha, would know that buying a cheap phone will receive decent support from the manufacturer. very bad decision of nokia :/

Please use plain text.