Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia Asha & the WhatsApp app

Advisor
roguecroce
Accepted Solution

Nokia Asha & the WhatsApp app

So, you feel great, finally there is an app that you can use with your mates who have far more expensive smart phones. The problem here is that this app is 'designed to always be online & connected.' According to the WhatsApp site under Nokia Faq, who 'strongly recommend that you sign up to a unlimited data plan.' But, what happens if your network supplier does not offer such a service, remember we live in a global community now, or your pocket won't stretch to that sort of plan? So, boys & girls unless your paying for 'all you can eat data,' I'd forget about this app & stay with sms.

Nick
Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Sheldrick

Re: Nokia Asha & the WhatsApp app

Hi Roguecroce, Welcome to the Nokia Forums!

A good way to avoid using large amounts of data if you do not have a suitable data plan is to connect only when you are connected to a wifi connection, or set the applications to manually push data.
This way you can have the applications you want and still be able to use them whenever you are in range of a suitable WiFi connection. 

I hope this helps!

Sheldrick 

Press the 'Accept As Solution' icon if I have solved your problem, Kudos my post if my advice has helped you!
Please use plain text.
Advisor
roguecroce

I was rather writing from the perspective of an Asha 201 owner with wifi or all can eat data plan. However, thanks for offering advice about setting up push.
Nick
Please use plain text.
Contributor
porkgrind

I know that WhatsApp for Asha phones, while being an awesome app, is always online. So if you're using a prepaid SIM like me, WhatsApp eats your load/credits/money when WiFi connection is absent. I've learned this after I tried this app using my previous phone (C3-00).

Now I'm using Asha 302 while WhatsApp is available as a shortcut to download/update, I'm happy by only using standard SMS and MMS :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
pr1234

u said u used nokia c3, even i use it presently..i cld dowload whatsapp, bt not able to connect it to chat server..y is dt so?any idea??
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
warangsahil

Link for dat??
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Kim57

Hi! I have the Nokia c3 and I downloaded whatsapp and set it under "wifi only". But when I disconnect from my wifi the 3G sign comes on. I've been checking my credit and it keeps going up and down. Minus 40 cents and then plus 20 cents. It's really confusing me!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

The operators usually deduct more from your balance when you connect to the internet and later the extra deduction is refunded.
That is done to make sure you don't use any data more than your prepaid balance.
I've not found any way to make Whatsapp to work only on wifi. It automatically connects to gprs once wifi is not available.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
NerverForgetMe

just got nokia asha 302 and got told that whatsapp would work with wifi only. I havent got data plan and 3g has been turn off as was eating my credit. Can anyone tell me how to get whatsapp to work as cant recive or send any messages. Is there anyway to get this to work?? 

Please use plain text.
Professor
satyam384

in that case just DELETE the configuration settings u saved,which have been sent by the operator.and check the credit for 2 or 3 regular intervals,whether its deducting or not !!!!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

When you're connected to wifi, it will use wifi at other times, it will keep using data over 2G/3G network.
Deleting the configuration settings won't work as application has already determined the required access point.
Just keep your 3G data turned off and connect to wifi when you need to use whatsapp.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
adi9999

Is nokia asha 308 compatible with whatsapp now??
Please use plain text.
Community Manager
musica

Hi. Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! :smileyhappy:

Unfortunately, the said device is not part of the list found here: http://www.whatsapp.com/s40/

However, you can contact the developer here and request to make it available for the device: http://www.whatsapp.com/contact/

Cheers.

Nokia Lumia 1020 - nothing comes close Nokia Asha 501 - super smart pocket power 

Follow us on Twitter Watch Nokia Support Videos

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
mirahamzah08

how to offline the whatsapp when we do not want to use it from being the credit will taken?
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
nyambison

i use asha 306 ,i downloded bt when verifyng "can't connect server is not from trustd supplier"any one with an idea of what i should do
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kk007

plz help me ...after restoring my ph(asha 311) whatsapp not response when click the icon.plz help me to fix this
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

^ Try reinstalling whatsapp using the store client or through the whatsapp's website.

But one problem will be that it might not replace the previous icon on your menu and the chance can be that 2 icons will start existing, both of which will open the same whatsapp.
Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kk007

I downld from store and whatsapp's webside aslo..it replace the old version but after install when i click on icon it does not open...i restore my ph twice but getting same prblm .,plz help

Please use plain text.
Counsellor
kk007

Plz help me ;-(
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

Now the only suggestion that i have is that you can try manually downloading the jar and jad files for whatsapp on your pc and then transfer them on your phone's memory card.
If this also doesn't work, you need to visit Nokia care for firmware re-install.
Please use plain text.