Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Online certificate check failed

Tasha0190
Accepted Solution

Online certificate check failed

I downloaded viber a while ago on my nokia 5230 and it was working perfectly. Recently when I opened viber on my phone I received a message saying that there s a new version of viber available on ovi store that I should get. Which I did. But when updating viber my phone says online certificate check failed. And the installation stops there. What does that mean? Can someone please help? This is highly frustrating. Almost smashed my phone because of that. Please help.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
scoobyman

Re: Online certificate check failed

Have you tried going to Application Manager and checking installation settings  "Online Certificate check" = Off and Software Installation = All?

Happy to have helped forum in a small way with a Support Ratio = 37.0

Please use plain text.
Tasha0190

oh my gosh! Scoobyman! Thank you sooo much! It worked! Many many many thanks.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Sensei
Abi99

Tasha0190 wrote:
I received a message saying that there s a new version of viber available on ovi store that I should get. Which I did.

I guess, you used this item.

Although scoobyman’s answer solves this issue, it opens up your Nokia to viruses and other bad applications. Signing makes sure, the author of the app is the one he claims to be. Signing makes the author responsible for what he does. If an author does something bad, his certificates gets revoked. OCSP makes sure, the signature is still good. Therefore, revert these two settings, after you installed an app you are trusting.

Furthermore, an application from the Nokia Store should work with any setting. Any error or warning message is not acceptable and should be forwarded to the Nokia Store team for further analysis.

a) Menu » Settings » Installations » Installations settings » Software installation

The state of this item does not matter because Viber is signed correctly. Therefore, ‘Signed only’ works for Viber and is recommend.

b) Menu » Settings » Installations » Installations settings » Online certificate check (OCSP)

The state of this item does matter. Therefore, please, set is at least to ‘On’. In Wireshark, I checked that the certificate is not revoked but good. Therefore, I have no idea what is wrong here. It this not normal.

Conclusion:

• Set ‘Online certificate check’ from ‘must be passed’ to ‘On’. If you still get the installation security warning ‘Unable to verify supplier’, report this to the Nokia Store team for further investigation.
  • Change ‘Software installation’ from to ‘off’ only when you are absolutely trusting that app. Revert ‘Software installation’ to ‘signed only’ after the installation of that single particular app.

Please use plain text.