Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Serious USB issue with Nokia Asha 311

Contributor
me_noky_useq

Serious USB issue with Nokia Asha 311

Whenever Nokia Asha 311 is connected to computer by USB cable, data transfer to other USB drives/devices get frozen, like I cannot copy files from my hard disk to USB drive or vice versa. I was able to reproduce this problem with Windows XP, Windows 7 and Ubuntu. I also tried reinstalling firmware 3 times but problem still persists. While my Nokia 6303i classic works without such problem.

Please use plain text.
Ex-Moderator (Retired)
Puigchild

Re: Serious USB issue with Nokia Asha 311

Hi me_noky_useq,

Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions!

The problem may be caused by the fact that Nokia Asha 311 can be charged via USB. So, whenever you connect it to your computer, it will automatically start to charge.

In some cases, computers have only limited amount of power reserved for the USB, so the USB controller will have to prioritise and thus disable some the other USB devices. Try to disconnect some of the other USB devices before connecting your phone to see if it makes a difference.

Hope this helps!

Puigchild

If you find this post helpful, a click upon the white star at bottom would always be appreciated.
If it also solves your problem, clicking ACCEPT AS SOLUTION below it will benefit other users!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

I believe there is also a setting in the Power Options if you are in Windows 7, which says Selective USB, you should set this to Disable. This is basically the option that says as Puigchild has stated, selecitvely suspends USB ports to save power.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Contributor
me_noky_useq

[ Edited ]

I think you are right. USB Hub is allowing 500mA which is all allocated to Nokia phone, so it can't power up other devices while phone is in use. I only have 1 USB Hub (like most of the computers) which allows to connect 4 USB devices. If I try to copy file to other USB drive, DPC latency drops after few seconds. Can I minimize the power permanantely or buying this model is big mistake?

Please use plain text.
Contributor
me_noky_useq

Here's how it looks like when phone and USB drive are plugged in:

http://i.imgur.com/V6g7J.png

Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

I don't think it is a huge mistake, because after all, it is a phone and I'm sure you enjoy it otherwise. Looking at the screenshot you've attached, it does look like the phone is taking up the maximum current that the USB port in question provides. I would presume that this is due to the fact that it supports USB charging.

As yours is a USB hub, and not separate USB ports, I don't think Windows can make that distinction, as it treats the USB hub as one separate device connected to the port, therefore the Selective USB doesn't act properly. I think the only solution here is to just not charge the phone through USB and rather just the mains, that way you can copy content on your other USB devices without any interruptions.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
me_noky_useq

My Nokia 6303i classic doesn't have such problem. I have been using 6303i since 2.5 years which also requires same power and charges via USB but never had any problem. I have used that phone to access internet these years and now I use 311 instead.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

Not quite sure what the problem is then. The only advice I can offer is to ensure that your device is on the latest firmware (check via Nokia Suite), and if there is an update available, to update to that version accordingly. Then try Restoring your phone to factory settings.

If none of them work, then a visit to your local Nokia Care point is in order as it may be a hardware problem. To locate nearest Nokia Care: http://nokia.com/support
Please use plain text.
Contributor
me_noky_useq

I upgraded firmware from 3.81 to 5.92 yesterday and restored factory settings before and after upgrade. No changes.

Nokia Care center provide rather bad service, creating several other problems after solving one. I would rather stay away from any Nokia product in future.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Overlord
adrianhughes

I am sorry that you are having a bad time with your Nokia. You are always welcome to leave feedback regarding your experiences with Nokia directly, by clicking the Nokia Support link at the bottom of the page.
Please use plain text.
Contributor
GTTJ007

Go to ur power menegment in ur pc(window7) bddy nd switch its to normal mode then ur prblm s atometcly solvd
Please use plain text.