Search Discussions:
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: damaged image files in gallery of 311 - 5.92

Contributor
asha311desire

damaged image files in gallery of 311 - 5.92

hi, when tapping accidentally on a picture in the gallery while it is still scrolling, there is a great chance (in my case 100%; I have been able to reproduce it) that this picture file will be damaged, leaving only about some lines of pixels visible or even nothing. The thumbnail is not affected. The damaged file may even resist to be deleted; after shutdown & restart I have been able to delete the image file.

Beware of accidentally touching the gallery while it is still scrolling :smileysad:

May be one day even the nice Asha 311 will have robust software ...

per aspera ad astra

neti neti
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

Well.. I tried reproducing it multiple times, but didn't worked.
When you tap while the gallery is scrolling, it stops the scroll. And you tap again to open the image which opens normally :smileyhappy:
Please use plain text.
Professor
satyam384

Don't know why nokia is taking such an long pause for making an software update for asha 311 !!!!

:confused:

Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

That's only known to Nokia xD
Its a capable phone, so maybe they wanna bring a good change. Or else no devs free as everyone is busy on newer phones :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
Professor
satyam384

@singhnsk :

hahaha:smileyvery-happy: Might be true bro ! :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
Contributor
asha311desire

hi, after searching for possible reasons for the effect of damaged image files, I now suggest the following candidates: There are in fact damaged files on the 2GB microSD card, that came with the 311. I moved the card to another asha 311 & there again have been the thumbnails of my photos OK, but the respective images opened in some strange way: either only about 2 lines of pixels, leaving the rest of the screen grey, or for a very short time, less than half a second, a kind of blurred preview appeared and thereafter the 2 or thre lines of pixels, as before.

But that is probably not the full story. I looked into the directory of the card with the DOS Terminal DIR command where all files, especially those that did not open correctly, seemed to be OK, having file size, dates etc. But could not be opened using the Windows Explorer of WIN XP. But: In the parent dircetory i detected a damaged entry of a directory with a name (related to <<attachement received>> ?), but the other entries missing (see attachements).

The damaged files all have come from the camera, i.e. small 300x300 px files which I copied the 2GB microSD in the phone where not affected.

Just to get rid of the damaged files I then formatted this microSD, to see if will be usable again, after putting the blank card into the 311, the counter of  new photos did not start at zero, but obviously from the old count, leaving the question: Bug or feature? (The card to date is OK in the other 311 which I use for testing)

In summary: The card may have contributed to the loss of photos, but I'm not fully convinced. In future I will try to save photos more often to my desktop PC.

per aspera ad astra

neti neti
Please use plain text.
Mobile Visionary
singhnsk

The card which is supplied with the phone is quite slower than the cards available in the market. I'm trying to re-produce the same thing and until it happens with me too, I'd say the card was at fault. With slow read/write speeds, it can eventually corrupt a file or two if the data is called up beyond the speeds that it can support.

That's why I always suggest a card of Class 4 or higher. Hope the new card will work fine for you.
Please use plain text.