Search Discussions:

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Advanced search
Welcome to our community! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Microsoft mobile devices users around the world in English. Please take a moment to read our community guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others you need to sign in first. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. If you don't have an account yet, please register here.

nokia 6500 - charger not supported

nokia 6500 - charger not supported

just bought a nokia 6500 classic. first thing i know when i plug in the charger, i get a message "charger not supported". this is bizarre. nothing wrong with the charger itself, it seems, but a software quirk? anyone else with the same problem?
Please use plain text.
Sage

Re: nokia 6500 - charger not supported

Had the same problem on my 6233. I sent it to service was told by the service center that it was not repairable, and that it was caused by "external mishandling" (they found a small nick that suggested it had been dropped to the ground), so they wouldn't give me a new one. :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

hi

Having the same issue... I am taking the phone back tomoz. will update you tomoz
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have a nokia 6500 classic - after about 3 weeks from new, I'm getting the 'Charger Not Supported' message. T-mobile told me to bring it into the store to check if it's the charger or the phone that's kaput. Keep you posted.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

My phone has dead battery and when i came to charge my phone it wouldnt work and the charger was making some buzzing sound. i also tried it with the car charger and it didnt work either?? PLEASE HELP!!!
Please use plain text.
Professor
navigator

charger not supported can be a software problemor a hardware problem.in an case we need to take it to nokia centre.before that check with another charger weather it is giving the same error or not.this is one of the phones which supports usb carging as well so whenever ou connect a charger you dont see anything on display.but if the phone is completely dead it takes atleast 15 to 20 minutes before it starts charging
tongue is too confused on what to speak
Please use plain text.

If someone is still reading this post, I may have an explanation.

The problem may be lack of power in your electricity-withdraw (Not sure how to spell that, but I hope you understand it).
So what you can do if your phone-charger is connected to a splitter, remove it from that and put it in a electricity-"withdraw"-thingy in the wall.

If that doesn't work, this is what I did:
I connected my phone and charged it for about 30 minutes (It takes alots of time to charge a phone using your computer, so you may use more than 30 minutes to charge it), and then turn the power on your phone on, and let it charge some more. Then you can try using the general charger. This use to work out well for me, but I have the same issues as all of you but sometimes it randomly works. So if it still says "Charger not supported" unplug the charger and plug it in again.

Hope this helped!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

The charge rate on a 6288 charger differs to that of the other nokia chargers that ALSO use the same connector to the phone to power.

The difference is the AC-3A has a 65mA setting.
Chargers like AC-4A fit but have a 125mA setting.

I have found that using a 65mA charger is the first step in troubleshooting this support error.

Next noticable thing is that the phone will also at times charge to full, then fail to continue to trickle charge while connected to a power source. Perhaps some discharge feature of the phone?

So if you have this problem, Do consider the charger as the problem. Just find someone with the AC-3A charger to test with, not someone's N80 charger.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have a really bizarre problem:

I bought the Nokia 6500 classic out of o2 earlier this year.
My Dad also has the same phone but on T Mobile.

Last night both our phones were low on battery, we use the same type of charger but have one each.

When we plugged our phones in we both got a message on our phones saying 'charger not supported'.

We swapped chargers but got the same message, I've tried charging the phones through the USB cable but this hasn't worked either, have taken the batteries out and put them back in but that was just wishful thinking, have left the phones on charge for hours and still nothing.

Both phones are completely dead now apart from the occasional flash and then the screen just goes black.

I've called o2 who have no idea what the problem is and have said to bring it into the shop, I also called T Mobile on behalf of my Dad who said the same thing.

I tried calling Nokia but just got an ear piercing fax machine sound.

My worry about taking them into the shop is that most likely they'll get send away and we'll have to wait decades to get the phones back or we'll be accused of dropping the phones etc.

The thing is, it's nothing that we've done to the phones as this happened to the same phones on the same night at the same time and that's just too bizarre.

If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

all i had to do was flick or slap my charger a couple times and it started to charge
Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I cracked my LCD screen and took it in for repair, once my phone was returned back it wouldn't charge anymore and it says 'charger not supported'. I took it back to the repaier who said that this problem was due to my PCB being faulty. He say's that they did not break it as the LCD is a seperate part and the wouldn't have touched my PCB- does this sound right?? I think it would be a huge coincidence if my PCB broke just at the same time I let someone dig around in my phone..

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

My wife had the same problem with a car charger and also a 5V USB socket on a laptop travel charger. We have just sent the car charger back for repair/replacement. However as a curious electronic engineer I did an internet search for the specification for charging via USB and discovered that there is a new specification which is only a couple of years old, and is presumably what Nokia are using on the 6500. This states that to be recognised as a charger rather than a USB port, the USB D+ and D- lines must be shorted together. So I opened up my laptop in-car travel charger and soldered a bridge between the middle two pins on the 5V USB type A  socket (previously floating) - MAGIC! - the phone now recognises the charger and happily charges.

I had not been able to find the above info anywhere before except in the technical spec for the new charging over USB spec - I found it here:

http://www.edn.com/article/CA6531593.html

So I hope this info helps demystify this and stop some of the frustration users are experiencing here. Perhaps a real Nokia engineer might like to comment.

Please use plain text.

Apparently from what I've read there is a component that must be replaced within the phone.It's the R53575 BTemp 47k. I think its on the PCB. I'm really suprised that Tony's method worked here as I think it's this faulty component within the phone. When two devices don't charge your phone it usually implies the phone is at fault. My phone doesn't charge via usb or wall charger.

If you want to communicate with the computer don't you have to have the D+ D- lines ready to take connections?

Just charging my phone would be good for me though. So if we're dealing with a wall charger. All I have to do is open up the charger find these pins and solder the D+ and D-ones together. I'll give this a go but I still think it's to do with the phone itself.

Darryl Fleming

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I tried the advice of the person who suggested turning the phone off, chargining it for 30 minutes while off, then turning the phone on with the charger still inserted. This got rid of the "Charger Not Supported" message and the phone began charging normally at that point.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
Beckye19

Today this started happening with my phone, so we tried the flicking/slapping the charger approach first and would you know - it actually worked :smileywink:

Please use plain text.
toscathechicken

It seems quite easy really. Just use a needle or something similar to clean out the socket into which you put the charger.  Mine was full of fluff which meant that the charger jack would not go in fully.  Clean it out and off you go

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
lalunatech

Hiya
I recently replaced my own LCD screen on a 6500 Classic. When I reassembled it and fired it up everything was ok except I got the charger not supported error whatever charger I plugged in. I took it apart again and found that I had forgotten to push in a plug that connects the charger/data socket to the main board of the phone. Now it works a treat!

I suppose a lot of charger not supported errors are due to broken connections on the socket. It is a weak and unreliable design. Nokia! stick to the standard mini-USB they're much stronger, not some non-standard flimsy thing.

karen06, your post was 3 years ago, I suppose you've dumped it and got a new one by now. I just put this up to share my experience with other old classic owners.
Please use plain text.
Registered Member
karen06a

Hi lalunatech- thanks for the post! I actually still use my Nokia 6500 (I still love it) but plan on getting a smart phone by the end of the year. Good tip to know re the plug. I actually ended up arguing with the repair man and making them fix it free of charge- but who knows- maybe they just opened it up again and realised the plug was not in properly! Thanks for the post, i'm sure others will find it useful. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
aNIGRO

Re: nokia - charger not supported

recently had the same issue, but i found the couse in my case... i messed up with the wrong phone switching by mistake the battery from an nokia c1 to a nokia 2700 classic. when i put back the old battery my phone is back alive again.

thaknyou nokia :smileyvery-happy:

Please use plain text.