Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Re: Connects by 3G/3.5G to Internet "randomly"

Professor
kurtkaufman

Connects by 3G/3.5G to Internet "randomly"

[ Edited ]

My n79 has recently started establishing unsolicited 3G/3.5G data connections for only a few seconds.  I have checked using Swiss Manager Pro to see if there is an application or process that suddenly starts up, but there is no change between the connected status and the non-connected status (I do refresh SMP's Prog screen during the connected interval, of course).  I do not see anything obvious running that might account for the sudden brief connection.  I checked all of the following apps, which I have set to request access before connection (and they always do): Messaging, Google, Vlingo, Skype, Google Maps, Maps, Opera, Web.  My mail accounts are set to connect for mail exclusively manually.

I have checked the Connections panel of the Settings app; I have 4 Internet Destinations (3 WLAN and AT&T packet data).   They are all set to connect only after confirmation.  I do not have any listed access points under the categories Packet Data or Wireless LAN; as I indicated above they are listed only under destinations. I'm not sure why they are listed this way. I do not have any access points for SMS, since I do not use text messaging or multimedia messaging (and I do not have any messages sitting in the outbox pending delivery).

Sometimes the connections seem to occur frequently after the phone has been off for some time, especially for the first few minutes of up-time. I can't imagine that the phone is repeatedly accessing time or date confirmation.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice on what this might be.  Thanks.

PS/ I have a feeling it could have to do with my text message settings within the messaging application; for instance there is a setting for a "Preferred Connection" which can be set to either "packet data" or GSM/UMTS. I'll have to experiment there.

Here is another thread which may or may not reflect the same issue:

/t5/Connectivity/Nokia-X6-connects-to-the-internet-by-itself/m-p/695774#M31168

Please use plain text.
Technical Expert
michaels

Just a thought, do you use any features that work using GPS, like Ovi Maps for satellite navigation or geo-tagging in the camera? If so, then small network connectiosn could be made whilst the phone is obtaining a satellite fix.

To check this, go to Settings>General>Positioning>Positioning methods and switch off Network-based positioning and A-GPS, and see if you are still getting the connections.

Nokia Lumia - the fastest growing smartphone

If this or any post answers your question, please remember to help others by pressing the 'Accept as solution' button.

Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

Thanks for the reply.  Camera geo-tagging is disabled. Would Ovi Maps be querying the network even if it is not running? I do use A-GPS through the GSM/3G network with Maps. Perhaps the Connection Manager will give me enough information to determine which app or process is connecting when in standby mode with no other apps running.

Please use plain text.
Sage
jamesvini

As far as the SMS settings are concerned it should be set to GSM/UMTS and not packet data. Have you checked the connection manager and seen what access point is connected? and if it is sending or receiving any data? I say this because my N8 recently started doing the same thing but when I checked the connection manager it said that it i had sent 0b and received 0b. so i think nothing of it.
"Freedom is the only way, yeah!"
Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

I do have the SMS settings as GSM/UMTS; that was the default setting.  I did not have have an active "multimedia msg" access point set up, but today I allowed the Settings Wizard to do so; it created "AT&T MMS".  As I mentioned, I have a block on any SMS service so as not to get stuck paying for unsolicited messages/ads, etc.  I also have an unlimited data plan, so it's not the cost I'm concerned about, I'm just curious as to who/what is requesting/receiving data without my consent. No big deal, just curious.  Maybe, as is the case with jamesvini, it's connecting without any data transfer.

A bit off-topic:

One thing I did notice when I was trying out an iPhone and an Android phone for a while, was that there was an almost constant stream of data going back and forth.  Between system updates, frequent automatic email checks, Google, Vlingo and the social network stuff (that seemed to be enabled by default), it drained the battery pretty quickly on both of the phones.  I wonder how many people that complain about poor battery performance know that they could help things by reducing the data transmission.

Please use plain text.
Sage
jamesvini

When I had my 3GS I noticed that it would sneakily get on the web and do stuff in the background, Its because of the simplicity of the operating system and the sort of people that want the i-phone dont need to know why their phone is connecting to the network. Some makers and providers will make the phone connect automatically to packet data so that when you tap the web button you get to a web page alot faster. because you dont have to wait for the phone to get connected. Its a telecoms trick to make it appear faster than it actually is. Hope i made sense there.
"Freedom is the only way, yeah!"
Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

I noticed active data transmission soon after restart and ran the Connection Manager and Swiss Manager Pro.

The only information I could obtain from the Connection Manager was the following:

An active network connection-

AT&T Internet/Packet data; a total of 1.69 kb sent; 0 kb received over a duration of 3 min and 21 seconds.

According to Swiss Manager Pro, the only programs running were:

Menu, Standby, UpnpNotifAppserver

Additional programs running:

EiksrvBackdrop, SysAp, Telephone, naviclient, Carousel, Anykey, vcommmandmanager, ateventobserverapp, Autolock, akncapserver, screensaver, KeyFilterApp, EikonServer, aknnfysrv

Additional Processes running:

SysSer, SysMes, gulplauncher_2000A31F (believe that's a Google background process)

Anyone know what to make of this?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Professor
kurtkaufman

For those who might be interested:

The culprit was a piece of software called "sysManager" which was apparently secretly installed along with a free theme I had tried out quite some time ago. Despite the fact that I had almost immediately uninstalled the theme, the sysManager remained, and from time to time would access the internet via the cell data network. When Itried to uninstall the sysManager using the built-in Application Manager, I was unsuccessful. Finally, NetQin Anti-Virus took care of it for me. Nasty piece of work, that sysManager.

Please use plain text.