Search Discussions:
Advanced Search...
Welcome to Nokia Support Discussions! Here you can share advice and tips with thousands of other Nokia users around the world in English. Many Nokia employees also follow and participate in the discussions, see our guidelines for more information. Everyone can search and read the discussions, but to post your own question or reply to others, simply sign in with your Nokia account. If this is your first time here, you can choose an alias to represent you. And if you don't have a Nokia account yet, please register.

Nokia n79 WLAN connectivity problem

Contributor

Nokia n79 WLAN connectivity problem

Hi there

I have a new nokia N79 and I am trying to connect it to my laptop using WIFI. My laptop has an internet connection  and I want to use it from my phone. I created a adhoc network on my laptop. The network is getting detected on my phone. But when I try to browse, my phone either restarts or freezes. I have tried with the "access point" settings on the phone and also tried with the modified settings (IP etc.). The problem persists.  :-(

Please suggest me both (laptop and phone) settings. Hope there is nothing wrong with my phone.

(I am using Windows Vista Home Premium on the laptop)

Please help.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Re: Nokia n79 WLAN connectivity problem

I also experienced it. First,

In your laptop internet connection, view status>properties>Sharing tab>Check on Allow internet connection sharing "Home Connection: Wireless conection".

Second:

connect your laptop from ur phone and use internet!

Enjoy!

Sometimes, "No gateway reply" message will be shown. Try it until convenient!

But, another way is you need ur's friend laptop. If u get another laptop,

(1) connect ur laptop from ur friend's laptop. And test for internet usage in ur friend's laptop.

(2)If ok, you can also connect that internet from ur N79 phone. This is the way of induction.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Is your laptop an accesspoint like a router? If your phone sees the SSID of your laptop ,make sure the settings like WPA correspond. Use DHCP rather then static IP. Turn off the energysaving settings to get a better connection. Do you want to look inside your laptop for files with your phone? Then you need to set up a VPN.
‡Thank you for hitting the Blue/Green Star button‡

N8-00 RM 596 V:111.030.0609; E71-1(05) RM 346 V: 500.21.009
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Well, my laptop is connected to the internet. I'm using DHCP. I want to use internet from the phone to update software etc and browse. I also want to tranfer music and pictures using Wifi (Laptop --> phone). Please tell me the exact technique to connect. For me wireless data tranfer is more important.
Please use plain text.
Contributor

Ok, now the restarting problem has been solved but I cant use surf the internet. I'm using DHCP. Please help.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

It is connected to the internet. But how?

The question remains the same. Is your laptop an accesspoint? Do you have another wireless accesspoint in your house? Use that, if you can.

IF your laptop is an accesspoint then it broadcasts a service set identifier (SSID). If you turn on your phone's WLAN it should see this SSID if you did'nt set it as a hidden nertwork. On your phone you set the connection modus to INFRASTRUCTURE. If you need a WPA/WEP password you set it in the phone as it is on your accesspoint. If you use a stick for 3G, there is no WLAN.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

Ok...

I ll tell what I have done so far... My laptop is connected to the internet. I created an Adhoc network on my laptop and then turn on internet connection sharing. My laptop is using DHCP for both, internet connection and for WIFI. I connected my phone to the Adhoc network (its a secure network). I am using DHCP on the phone as well. I am able to connect to my laptop using WIFI now. But I cant use internet from my phone (I am not using 3G/Internet connection is shared from my laptop).

Now please tell me what settings need to be made for using internet from my phone. (The earlier post has solved my phone restart problem)

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

[ Edited ]
I still dont get it. HOW is your laptop connected to the internet? An Adhoc is not a good idea. You have to make a connection to the internet. If you use Vista it will guide through the wizard.
Message Edited by hadimassa on 21-Sep-2009 07:54 PM

Please use plain text.
Contributor

My laptop is connected to the internet using a cable modem....Does that ring any bells???!!!!
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Now I get it! Maybe it is a good idea to buy a wireless router. There cheap and efficient.

Please use plain text.
Contributor

[ Edited ]
I dont want to buy a wireless router...Can you help me with the phone settings???
Message Edited by nandeshnair on 21-Sep-2009 07:01 PM
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

I've checked some things out here and I must confess that I have the same experience . I made an adhoc connection in XP and Vista, the phone connects, so these settings are oke. Then I get the usual "no gateway". I gave permission to share the internet in XP and Vista, but no go. Checking the IP addresses, i saw that there is a limited connection whitch means there is no connection to the inernet and I can't figure out why. Not yet anyway. I will try to make a setup with Windows 7. I'm sure we can work something out. I'll keep you posted if you still want to. Maybe you figured it out for yourself. That would be great.

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

The phonesettings that work for me are: Connectionname>xxxxxxx Carrier> WirelessLAN Networkname>xxxxxxx Status>open Modus>Ad-hoc Security>WEP Securitysettings>WEPkey in use>#1 Verification>open.

The setup in Windows 7 went very smooth but in Vista I had to adjust some settings.

In the wireless adapter settings of your PC you have to set IPv4 to static and give it an IP whitch is in range of what your accesspoint prescribes like 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.200. 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

I have a similar problem. I want to connect internet through my laptop on my N79. I'm using windows 7 on my laptop, and the broadband connection on laptop is DHCP enabled. I've made an adhoc connection and then tried to connect through WLAN by using adhoc connection on N79 but it doesnt work. the network is identified but net browsing cant be done. Can anyone help me with phone or laptop settings???
Please use plain text.
Contributor

What about gateway settings? Also, can the WIFI be used for file transfer between the phone and my laptop? If yes, just tell me how to do it.
Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

For simple internet connection sharing you dont need ports.

To watch your files you need a program called SymNas. With SymNas you can open your filebrowser on your lap to watch and transfer files from your phone.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Yesterday I bought N79. When I tried to connect to WLAN, I experienced the same problem. Mobile either reboots or switched off. How to rectify. Please tell me step by step procedure.

My Nokia model : N79

Laptop OS         : Windows vista home premium

Thanks in advance!!

Please use plain text.
Mobile Guru
hadimassa

Take a look at this url:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing 

Please use plain text.
Registered Member

Hi I am Jaydeep.

I purchased new N79 last wk.

I do have shared wifi connection.

I tried to connect internet thr N 79, the network gets detected in N79 & also gets connected

But each n every time while browsing it show the msg as "Web : No get way reply"

The same situation is there in case of wi-fi network which are available in Malls is well.

I think this is d same problem faced by too many users.

I searched the for solution bt didn't get anything out of that.

If anybody is aware @ it plz plz suggest a working solution.

Please use plain text.
Registered Member
venkat_n79

Hi Jaydeep,

I m also having the same problem. Have you got the solution for that?

Please use plain text.